Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 Day Post Op....

Well I got home today from the hospital. I spent yesterday and last night in the hospital.

Just having MANY problems with keeping ANTYHING down - even a drop of Water.

I just spit up and then vomit "foam."

Any suggestions? I have called my Dr. and left a message that I cannot get down my anti vomit meds and need a supository. Just wondering if there were any suggestions until then?

Thanks!

Nikki

Hi Nikki!

Congrats on being "on the other side"! I haven't climbed over yet so I'm afraid I have no answers to your foaming, but I'm sure someone on this board does! I just wanted to drop a line saying I'll send good thoughts your way and I hope you are feeling better soon!

Debra

If you seriously can't drink even a drop of Water, your doctor should definitely know about it ASAP. He or she may recommend that you go back to the hospital for an IV. It is probably swelling that is causing this problem and it should get better with time.

Can you describe your nausea in more detail? Is it the same kind of nausea you had before surgery? If so, the anti-nausea meds may help. But it may be that you are actually just PBing because your pouch is temporarily so small it cannot tolearate anything at all in it. In which case, I doubt medicine will help.

Anyway, hang in there and try not to worry. You will feel better soon.

Nancy

Hi Nikki,

I am sorry that you are having so many problems. I agree with Nancy, I think you should get in touch with your doctor immediately. Did you have the barium swallow under floroscopy before leaving the hospital? After I had it, I stayed in the hospital an additional 5 hours taking in fluids and Jello to ensure that I was able to keep fluids down. They were also montoring my urine out take even did an ultra sound to make sure my bladder was releasing all Fluid. After I started getting more fluids, I was releasing more and then I could go home.

Vomiting is very bad and your doctor should be able to call in a suppository... but you need fluids to survive and if you cannot keep anything down, then I think your doctor should know this.

I hope you are feeling better soon and please let us know how you are doing.

Take Care,

Thank you all for your concern and answers.

I called my Dr. first thing on Friday AM and he told me to come back to the hospital to make sure that all was alright - dehydration a concern too.

Ended up admitted until Sunday night. My potassium was extreemly low and the barrium swallow showed that I was swollen shut!

They ended up giving me a steroid injection to relieve the swelling. Within 12 hours I was taking down Water and liquids. Phew!!

I am at home now, taking it easy. having problems with aches and pains - deffinately having a problem finding a comfortable position sleeping. Ended up sleeping sitting straight up in a kitchen chair last night. Pain meds are taking care of most of the pains, but still yucky feelings all over.

Ok, enough of my complaining. Just wanted to thank everyone for their concern and to let you guys know that I am alright - on the healing side now. YIPPIE!!!

I am down almost 10 pounds now!

Will keep you posted!

Nikki

Hi Nikki,

Glad to hear you are feeling better. It can't be comfortable sleeping upright in a chair... Have you tried propping yourself up in bed with a number of pillows. I slept inclined in bed for the first week and it really helped me be able to sleep and get out of bed when I needed to. Also, I took a large beach towel and folded it across my stomach so that I could put my arms to my sides and apply some pressure with the towel against my stomach. This really helped me feel more comfortable, like something was adding support to my "loose" insides. Eventually, I switched the towel to a small down pillow... anything to get comfortable.

You will feel better with each passing day... hang in there and get your rest. I am really happy to hear that you called your doctor and got some help.

Take Care,

Well today is day 8 post op. I am now down 17.5 pounds. I bought a scale yesterday - against everything that I am - but I hoped on and much to my surprise I was down A LOT of weight!!!

I am able to keep down Gerber Step 1 baby food - without pain. I eat 2 jars a day. Thats about as much as I can eat without being disgusted.

I have now moved to the bed. Last night was the first night I spent there. I found that when I was proping myself up in the bed with pillows fluids were moving back and forth and then I would end up choking myself. Sitting in the chair was good enough for 4 nights. I took my pain meds before bed - they helped me sleep the night through and kept me from extreem pain in the chair.

Last night in the bed, I only used 2 pillows and didn't wake myself up choking/caughing on fluids. My fiance was at work last night so my mom slept with me and she said that I didn't even move. ( I didn't want to be sleeping in the bed/house alone in case of choking).

I guess I am on a speedy way to recovery! Sheduled to go back to work on Monday - don't really feel too up to it. Not ready to sit in a chair for 8 hours straight. Still having problems with comfortability - sitting for long amounts of time.

Thanks for listening to me!

Nikki

When you talk about waking up coughing and choking on fluids, be sure that your doc knows about that. That sounds like your esophagus has dialated and is letting fluids back up that are supposed to stay down.

I've heard of people (I'm thinking of Malcolm Bywters here especially www.lapbandtransformation.com) who propped the head of their bed higher so they could sleep in the bed and not have that problem.

I hope that as the swelling goes down, that side effect goes away! I have had that when fill was too tight and I know how unpleasant it can be. Good luck with it!

Congrats on the weight loss!! I think that's the exciting part of all this. As you get used to having the band and getting used to a new way of looking at food, you also get the reward of watching the scale move and soon, clothes will start to feel looser.

Enjoy this new stage in your life,

Annette