Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Body Bugg- Learned a lot about myself with this!!

Hi all;

I got a Body Bugg to measure calories expended during the day and for my workouts.

Yikes! what a learning experience! I always told people that it was hard to impossible for me to lose weight on more than about 1200 cals. WW always said I wasn't writing my food down right or measuring or something. I think they did not believe that I worked out as much as I do.

Anyway, wearing my Body Bugg showed me that on a day that I walk 4 miles I maybe burned 1800 cals. My friend who is the same size as me and walks with me burned 2600 cals!! Yikes what a difference. Especially over a weeks time.

Yeesh... no wonder it is so hard for me. Now I learned I have to be meticulous with calories and I will probably not lose weight unless I exercise every day.

Not sure why my metabolism is so slow but at least I know now that I wasn't crazy (or lazy) all these years.

I am going to start weight lifting and try to build some more muscle even though I have always worked out-- I love to walk for exercise so it hasn't been a problem during my life. I can see it was a good thing that I did like exercising or I would have been 400 lbs instead of 257....

Live and learn I guess... i thought this might be helpful to others who are slow losers...

Good luck on your journey...

Sadie

Thanks for posting this :-) I've been debating getting a Body Bugg ... I don't exercise much, and I'm curious just how many calories I really DO take in / burn in a day.

Thanks Again! :)

I dont lose weight on 1200 calories. my dietician has put me on 1000 calories a day! WTF! maybe i should buy one of those buggs to!

That is great information, thanks for posting that!

I just bought a BodyBugg and after the New Year I made a goal for Halloween of 2010. It is my full intention to get there, and with the help of the BodyBugg I’m sure I will.

While I don’t think my Metabolism is quite that low as yours, I know I will need to be very thoughtful on Calories In and Calories Out.

I also bought the Wii Fit Plus and The Biggest Loser, Ultimate Jillian 2008 and 2009 and the Gold’s Gym Workout for Wii. I am going to do each for a small stint to hopefully keep myself from getting burnt out.

All the best!

If you have $200 to spend, the Bodybugg is the best gift you can get yourself!!

I got mine in late September and it has helped me immensely. I am eating 1,500 to 2,000 calories a day and still losing 3-5 pounds a week.

In my opinion; counting how many calories you are eating is useless unless you know how many you are burning.

Its a good lesson to learn, isnt it?

I posted in another thread that my 14 year old and 12 year old boys eat about the same, yet my 14 year old is about 180 lb (guessing here), the 12 year old I know is 90lb. If anything, the heavier one eats healthier!

My husband's whole side of the family has the metabolism of slugs. they're not particularly fat, but they're small eaters and just sooooooo lazy and inactive. My two boys, the older is the same. He will have a game of basketball, come to circuit class within me but when he's not being deliberately active, he's completely inactive. Whereas the 12 year old is typical - never sits down, always riding, scootering, kickign a ball, runnning around. Just so different, but inherently, not on purpose.

We are what we are I guess and we have to learn to live with it and manage it. I dont know how I'm not as thin as a stick eating 1800 calories a day but burning what I do. I run, do bootcamp, circuit training and eat a lot less than most other people I know, and yes I"m "normal" thin, but it surprises me how I'm not super skinny when I compare to others.

I think there really are reasons why some people become obese and some dont.

... I dont know how I'm not as thin as a stick eating 1800 calories a day but burning what I do...

Do you know what you are burning or are you guessing? Get a Bodybugg if you don't have one and you may find the answer there.

Well, that's my point, its guessing. Obviously I *DONT* burn the average for my height, weight and activity level or I'd be scary skinny on what I eat.

I kind of take the view it doesnt really matter. The balance is obviously OK for me as I'm normal weight and stay that way effortlessly. I dont particularly need to know the numbers.

I am obsessed with counting thing things. Whether it be calories; the number of traffic lights I pass every day on the way to work; the number of days I've been alive; etc...

This is why the Bodybugg intrigues me so.

OCD doesn't always mean washing your hands a thousand times. :)

I think there really are reasons why some people become obese and some dont.

My kids are similar, my son is 12 and is thin for his age. You can tell by looking at him that he will never have weight issues, he just has that body type. My daughter is 10 and overweight. She will struggle with her weight just like I did.

She eats better than he does. He seems to only eat meat, sugar and starch while she's happy with fruits and veggies.

My wife is thin and as far as I can tell she appears to only eat ice cream and chocolate. B)

Everyone is different. I could never count calories, weigh food, watch the scale, chart calories burned, etc. If I did that, it would feel like was on a temporary plan instead of a permanent lifestyle change and I would eventually fail. The band keeps me from overeating. I work out because I enjoy it, and I figure if I have a good sweat going and my muscles are burning I'm getting something done.

I have a friend who is the opposite. He researched everything, buys only certain foods and weighs them carefully, has an exotic and expensive pile of supplements he takes every day, uses his computer to chart his calories burned and weight loss, uses a body bugg, has a detailed printed workout regimen, purchased and uses various home blood work kits, blood pressure, blood sugar, and even a home EKG machine, etc.

He lost his excess weight and so did I. No way either one of us would have if we switched.

I picked up a gowear fit last week. Had trouble deciding on it or the bodybugg, especially since their so similar, but ended up with the gowear simply because it was a little cheaper, and I found more reviews of it than the bodybugg.

I love it. It's turned keeping a calorie deficit into a game. I do take everything it says with a big grain of salt though. I suspect the companies claims of "90% accuracy" are under ideal situations, and the actual accuracy is a bit lower than that.

It does seem fairly accurate though in measuring different intensities of activity. It knows the difference between when I'm sitting at a desk, walking down a hallway, or jogging. Somehow it knows the difference between when I'm just laying down, and when I'm actually sleeping. Not sure how that works.

I've been keeping meticulous track of what I've been eating, and using their website to track it, and compare it to what it says I'm burning, and try to make sure i have a 1000 calorie deficit (or more) at the end of the day for 2lbs of weekly weight loss. In the last 5 days, I've lost 4lbs.

I'm not sure how much I like that they use a subscription service to their website. Their website also requires a higher version of internet explorer than I have at my work computer (and can't upgrade) so I can't update any of my information at work. blah.

I was curious where you bought your body bugg and how much it costed? I also wondered does it count your calories or do you have to input what your are eating?

I was curious where you bought your body bugg and how much it costed? I also wondered does it count your calories or do you have to input what your are eating?

I'm not sure about the Bodybugg, but I got my Gowear Fit (which is basically the same device made by the same company) from Amazon: Amazon.com: GoWear fit Lifestyle and Calorie Management System: Health & Personal Care

You can also get it from the offical website: Home - BodyMedia

They count the calories you burn, but you have to log your meals if you want to track how many calories you take in, and more importantly, how much of a calorie deficit you are maintaining.

The biggest downside to both devices is that to use the armbands, you have to have a subscription to their website which can run $7-$10 a month depending on how long you commit for.

The Bodybugg is currently selling for $199. This includes 1 phone coaching session and a 6 month subscription to their website.

The Bodybugg armband gives a great estimate of how many calories you are burning. It does not measure how many calories you are consuming. You have to enter what you eat into the website for that.

Then you upload the data from your Bodybugg to the website using a USB connection and it displays the information for you and calculates the difference in calories consumed verses expended.

The web site is BODYBUGG :: WELCOME as far as I know it is the only place you can get a bodybugg.

The other device that people are talking about here is made by the same people and also has a good reputation. Google both of them for specifics and reviews.

Hi all;

I got a Body Bugg to measure calories expended during the day and for my workouts.

Yikes! what a learning experience! I always told people that it was hard to impossible for me to lose weight on more than about 1200 cals. WW always said I wasn't writing my food down right or measuring or something. I think they did not believe that I worked out as much as I do.

Anyway, wearing my Body Bugg showed me that on a day that I walk 4 miles I maybe burned 1800 cals. My friend who is the same size as me and walks with me burned 2600 cals!! Yikes what a difference. Especially over a weeks time.

Yeesh... no wonder it is so hard for me. Now I learned I have to be meticulous with calories and I will probably not lose weight unless I exercise every day.

Not sure why my metabolism is so slow but at least I know now that I wasn't crazy (or lazy) all these years.

I am going to start weight lifting and try to build some more muscle even though I have always worked out-- I love to walk for exercise so it hasn't been a problem during my life. I can see it was a good thing that I did like exercising or I would have been 400 lbs instead of 257....

Live and learn I guess... i thought this might be helpful to others who are slow losers...

Good luck on your journey...

Sadie

I just got one and love it. I am curious Sadie - how many mets do you burn when walking? and what is your resting MET? I always thought I had slow metabolism but it is showing up as 2400 ie when I don't exercise and when I do I get up to 3000 or more. Exercise is usually vigorous (horseback riding) - walking will add a couple hundred tops. The person who got me onto it claims that it can figure out your metabolic rate if you have more muscle it is higher and I can't figure out how it really does this. I've only been using it for 3 days but I keep it on 24/7 except when showering.