Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Keeping things private while on post-op liquids....

Hello all,

I am new to the board, not getting banded until April 2010, but am already starting to stress about details! My family is supportive of my journey, but I've made the decision to keep the surgery private from my work. I work in a medical office with approximately 30 staff members. I will be taking a week off from work to recover from the surgery. My surgeon's post op diet plan requires 3 weeks of liquids followed by 3 weeks of mushies. The idea of this doesn't exactly bother me but I'm wondering how obvious this will look to everyone around me - we usually all eat lunch in one big lunchroom together. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to remain discreet while on a liquid diet? I think I have some ideas how to make mushies look less obvious, but I have no idea how I'm going to explain away 2 oz of Protein Shake every 2 hrs.

Suggestions? Help!

Natalie

HW/CW/GW

235/210/140

I would just say it is a kind of chinese ( or herbal) kind of detox as you want to start a diet. Or say that you feel a little under the weather and like to drink a lot more Soup when sick.

Maybe you can work an excuse around your reasoning for taking time off. (ie if u went on "vacation" and got strep throat while away etc).

Hello all,

I am new to the board, not getting banded until April 2010, but am already starting to stress about details! My family is supportive of my journey, but I've made the decision to keep the surgery private from my work. I work in a medical office with approximately 30 staff members. I will be taking a week off from work to recover from the surgery. My surgeon's post op diet plan requires 3 weeks of liquids followed by 3 weeks of mushies. The idea of this doesn't exactly bother me but I'm wondering how obvious this will look to everyone around me - we usually all eat lunch in one big lunchroom together. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to remain discreet while on a liquid diet? I think I have some ideas how to make mushies look less obvious, but I have no idea how I'm going to explain away 2 oz of Protein shake every 2 hrs.

Suggestions? Help!

Natalie

HW/CW/GW

235/210/140

Liquids will be the easiest for me. I started with the Protein shakes prior to my pre-op diet. Just say that you're on a new diet. When I get to my mushies stage I will just continue with the Protein Shakes plus yogurt while at work.

- Val

I had the same thoughts as you because I am going to be banded in January. I usually eat lunch with a couple of friends who will definitely notice the change in my eating habits. It won't be as difficult for me because each year I say I am going to change my eating habits (of coarse never really did) but now I have set myself up for a great cover. I have already begun telling them that this year is going to be different so when I begin to do my Pre-op and Post-op dieting at work, it will just seem as if I made these choices to work on my diet when really I have changed my lifestyle for good. I just took the time off from work and look forward to my new life...I wish you luck!B)

Here is the list of my personal once-in-awhile and long term excuses:

- have a blood test tomorrow morning (Water only);

- have a dental problem (liquids/mushes only, can't chew)

- yesterday's tai/chinese/whatever food didn't agree with me, trying to stay light for a day or two (liquids/broth/soup/vegi-puree)

- I am on yet another fad diet/fasting. 123456th in my life...lol You name it, i've done it, everyone knew it already and no one was surprised by me "going on another one" this time.

Good luck.

Here's my suggestion: A big part of the post-op liquid diet is Protein shakes. So take a Protein shake for lunch, some sugar-free Jello as a snack, some other liquid. Then just say that you are trying to jump start your diet by having two Protein Shakes a day (Breakfast and lunch) and will be eating a healthy meal at home for dinner. They won't see you doing yet more Protein shakes, LOL.

Then when you go to mushy foods, try having a Soup for lunch. Personally, 10 months out and I STILL have soup for lunch because it's convenient, the calorie and protein counts are good and it works. I have some whole grain crackers and a little low fat cheese with it now but it would certainly work to just have the soup and sugar free pudding or yogurt when you get to mushy food.