Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If I've offended...

I had a private message this morning from someone who thought I was coming across as 'rude and self-righteous' and that several of my posts were 'controversial' and inferred (I think) that I did not respect other people's opinions.

So, let me clear up any misconceptions. Perhaps it's years of writing clinical summaries on my patients but it's just the way I write. I go to great lengths not to be rude or insulting. I would suggest to that person, and to others, that they not second guess the author's emotions/intent. It's a pointless exercise when there is no body language to clue you in. However, as far as I know, I have not called anyone neurotic, a know it all or implied that they're an idiot. If I have, then my sincere apologies.

As for being 'controversial' or not respecting other's opinions...disagreement does not mean I do not respect another's opinions. It just means I disagree with them because my research and experiences do not coincide with theirs. Those reading are free to take it or leave it.

Elfiepoo,

Screw them! Everybody is entitled to their opinion. We are all very different people. I've openly disagreed with you on a couple of topics and never felt that you were belittling me. Nor have I seen you personally attacking anyone.

If they don't like what you say or how you say it, they can skip your posts.

Sometimes when people don't like what they hear it's easier to turn it around than it is to take responsibility. Different views and opinions are what makes the world interesting. So continue to add your insight and experience and if some don't care for it they can skip over the post. LOL

You don't offend me Elfie!

However, when people in general take on a superior attitude and add replies such as ROFLMAO as a means to belittle someone, it can be construed as a bully mentality.

For me, it's all good!

Edited by happy2lose

Like the others, I appreciate what you add to the boards. Bristlecone said it well, it's easier to turn it around than to hear something you might not want to hear.

It's hard here sometimes, because it's hard to watch people self-destruct and I want to help, but then I get frustrated with the general "It's ok to do XYZ - just get on back on the bandwagon" when XYZ might be cheating pre-op, post-op, etc. I'd rather ask someone "Think about what you were feeling when you did it and how you can work to keep it from happening again." But I usually don't because it usually doesn't sit well with people. So I take what I can, give what I can, and move on!

Amy

I had a private message this morning from someone who thought I was coming across as 'rude and self-righteous' and that several of my posts were 'controversial' and inferred (I think) that I did not respect other people's opinions.

So, let me clear up any misconceptions. Perhaps it's years of writing clinical summaries on my patients but it's just the way I write. I go to great lengths not to be rude or insulting. I would suggest to that person, and to others, that they not second guess the author's emotions/intent. It's a pointless exercise when there is no body language to clue you in. However, as far as I know, I have not called anyone neurotic, a know it all or implied that they're an idiot. If I have, then my sincere apologies.

As for being 'controversial' or not respecting other's opinions...disagreement does not mean I do not respect another's opinions. It just means I disagree with them because my research and experiences do not coincide with theirs. Those reading are free to take it or leave it.

I for one am offended by this post. :scared2::lol::thumbup:

Elfie,

You should probably feel flattered to get the instant message. I tend to be extremely opinionated on the board and nobody bothers to try and help me via IM. :scared2:

Elfiepoo,

Screw them! Everybody is entitled to their opinion. We are all very different people. I've openly disagreed with you on a couple of topics and never felt that you were belittling me. Nor have I seen you personally attacking anyone.

If they don't like what you say or how you say it, they can skip your posts.

Btrieger and i had a disagreement on another post about calories but that doen't mean i don't respect his opinion i find it fun some times to have a heated debate. If you can't speak your mind here where can you

Edited by reneek

Yes, true! Besides, we all get anonymity balls online LOL

As Frank Zappa once said, the one thing missing from computer communications is eyebrows.......

For what it's worth, Elfiepoo, I never thought that you were rude and self-righteous.

add replies such as ROFLMAO as a means to belittle someone, it can be construed as a bully mentality.

It truly wasn't meant to belittle. :scared2:

As Frank Zappa once said, the one thing missing from computer communications is eyebrows.

You mean like this? eyebrows.gif

No Problem here!

I love to read everyones opinion, and that is exactly what they are opinions!

Sandi

I agree with what the others have said. I also think that people sometimes think the same thing about some of my posts. When I reply I often have limited time and want to get the important stuff across without dressing it up in lots of nice flowery language.If someone doesn't like it then it is their problem not mine.

As they say. "you can't please all of the people all of the time".

But hopefully we can help some of the people some of the time!