Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am going into apt.#6 before I can see my surgeon. But I am starting to have a few second thoughts any help would be appreciated. I was diagnosed with a Binge eating disorder and have been at a 16 week class at The Melrose Institute in St.Louis Park MN. It has helped me understand my eating bad habits and such. I do workout at a gym 3-4 days a week. So my questions are as follows.

I love pizza, burgers, and fries what are the possibilities of going out with my family and even enjoying a meal. When I understand i won't be able to eat more then 1 or 2 bites?

I also love having beer, milk, Water, OJ, coffee, so pretty much anything liquid can you even drink much of any of these after?

I just want to be able to eat is that even possibile, I love food so much just not sure what to do anymore. And my wife is constantly on me about needing to do this or I won't be around to grow old with.

I don't have high blood pressure, high Cholesterol, diabetes or anything else like that so whats the point.

I do weigh 300 lbs and 42 bmi (according to that nasty old government chart)

I am going into apt.#6 before I can see my surgeon. But I am starting to have a few second thoughts any help would be appreciated. I was diagnosed with a Binge eating disorder and have been at a 16 week class at The Melrose Institute in St.Louis Park MN. It has helped me understand my eating bad habits and such. I do workout at a gym 3-4 days a week. So my questions are as follows.

I love pizza, burgers, and fries what are the possibilities of going out with my family and even enjoying a meal. When I understand i won't be able to eat more then 1 or 2 bites?

I also love having beer, milk, Water, OJ, coffee, so pretty much anything liquid can you even drink much of any of these after?

I just want to be able to eat is that even possibile, I love food so much just not sure what to do anymore. And my wife is constantly on me about needing to do this or I won't be around to grow old with.

I don't have high blood pressure, high Cholesterol, diabetes or anything else like that so whats the point.

I do weigh 300 lbs and 42 bmi (according to that nasty old government chart)

I have been told that you can pretty well eat what you want after a while on the band, but that sounds like what you need to avoid. Until you are mentally ready to take the steps away from food, I am sorry but my opinion will be that you will be unsuccessful in the band department. You may want to consider the full bariatric surgery. But I think you have some issues you need to get straight in your mind before you take any more steps in that directions. Go to a doctor and discuss your food issues and get a hold on it.

:wow::unsure:Good luck to you and I will be praying for you.:woot::thumbup:

So your wife wants you to get the lap-band and you don't? Is that right? I have to be sure I understand where you're coming from, but based on that, I would say Banding is not for you. It's a lot of work, I won't lie, so you have to really want it, get invested in being successful. You have to stick to the diet so you don't sabotage yourself. Greasy foods like burgers, pizza and fries really upset my stomach now and I simply can't tolerate them. I'm not saying it will be that way for you, but it's something you should know could happen.

When I go out with family and friends I have to put two thirds of my meal in a to-go box right away so I don't overeat and make myself sick. From there I can enjoy myself, since eating those couple of ounces takes 20-30 minutes, just like my tablemates.

As for drinks, a lot of surgeons say carbonation is a no. So beer and soda would have to be nixed from your diet. Nothing over five calories an ounce, I think, was the rule given to me. I do occasionally have OJ, though, the Calcium fortified 50% less sugar kind. Milk should be 1% or skim. The mindset is that it's empty calories, calories that provide no nutritional benefit in return (aside from OJ and milk) so they want them limited or removed so that you experience rapid success with the band.

Please keep in mind that this is what MY doctor's office is having me follow. There are some doctors who are fine with carbonation and 2% milk and whatnot. Good luck on finding what works for you!

Edited by Erin Marie

hey there Jazzy,

I am will be 4 months post op tomorrow, and I can almost eat and drink everything I did pre op just not much in the amount I am eating. The only things I have trouble with are breads, and Pizza Crust so I usually just eat the toppings and usually off 2 squares and i am full. As for the liquids I totally stay away from carbination so beer may be an issue for you.

Kinda sounds like to me you are doing this for everyone but ur self, I think like any weight loss attempt , you have to be doing this for yourself and not what everyone says you need to do. The band is a tool and a good one if you use it right.Hope this helps.

Thanks for the responses. I didn't mean to imply I was only doing it for others. I do know I need to do something so it's not totally doing it for others. I just am not sure I am ready to spend the next 40 years not eating the things I like, or only eating small portions of those things.

Jazzy , the most amazing thing i find with my band is , I am not settling for smaller portions, I can't physically eat alot, My body is tells me when to stop. I love that.Before the band i could always eat "just one more bite", but now I can't. Also i don't get the bloated full feeling anymore and I truely stay full in between meals. At first the emotions are a little crazy but the good totally outweighs the bad when it comes to the band.

How much you can east post band is entirely up to you. You can get so many fills that you're only able to eat 1/2 cup of food and many foods are simply unable to be eaten (bread, sticky rice, etc.). Many people here choose that route.

That's not for me. I only want enough fills to stop the out of control eating when I sit down to a meal. I want to eat like my husband's family who very much enjoy food but don't obsess about it and don't feel the need to go back for 2nd and 3rd helpings.

I have no doubt I'll lose more slowly but I'm ok with that. Ditto on the liquids. I used to drink Water like a fish. Now I struggle to get my 64 oz in each day...most likely because I'm no longer eating tons of sodium laden foods.

Jazzy: Hi; I'm pre-band as are you and struggle with some of the same questions. Overall looking at the big picture though, I want to be there in all facets of life for my children and my husband. I want to be the skinny little thing he fell in love with and was so attracted to like when we first met. I want to be one of those hot wives and I want to be noticed. I used to be all those things...most of all, I want to be healthy and assured of not going anywhere for a long time, barring accidental death or whatever, that is.

I want to feel good about myself and I want to help my 12 y.o. son who is now also struggling with obesity. I want to be a good role model for him. I want, I want, I want. And I think I can do it all with this surgery.

Blessings, Michelle