Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Experiencing a Hang up in Weight Loss

Ya'll this is the strangest thing. I am losing weight, without losing weight. Like I have lost about 25lbs, but like I havent lost a pound since the hurricane, but I have already had to buy more jeans and shirts because the old ones are too loose. I am still experiencing this, and my bones are becoming more prominent. I can't stop stressing over stuff, and I think that this is my hang-up, but I am not sure. Maybe I am not doing something right??? I do everything that I can and by the books while people who cheat all the time still are losing weight (by the scales.) I just dont understand????????????

P.S. I am having another bad night, I cant wait until I graduate and get outta this horrible hell hole of a town my family decided to live in. Its AWFUL!

you are re-arranging your body. Compacting and condensing. You might be putting on muscles, which is important for long tern metabolic gains.

Im so glad to see u are online, I dont understand though. how am I building muscles when I am doing nothing to build them??? Im worried, mom has already went into fits about how its not working????????????? Ive been bawling for over an hour

Not all successes are measured in pounds, some are measured in inches.

If you needed to buy smaller pants, then it is obviously working :) You might not be working out, but you are being more active than you were because it is easier to move about. 23 pounds is a lot of weight. You haven't even been banded 2 months! Have your mom call me. Or have her log on and read some of this board.

You are doing great! You had the band, not something else.

Hang in there Jodi..I just tell myself I didn't become overweight in one night and it's not coming off in one night. Your weight loss is great so far....I think the average weight weight loss is 1-2 pounds a week and it seems you are hitting that. Stay strong...check in here for support and just remember to always eat your portien first at every meal...

You are doing great and keep up the good work..

Jodi, I experience the same thing. When pounds are coming off I have a very hard time seeing the changes in the mirror. But when the scale is stopped, THAT'S when I am losing inches in clothing, rings, shoes, everything. Even now, when I've been at the same weight for well over 6 months, I am noticing new bones protruding and new definition in certain places. (Lately I've been very surprised at the way my wrist bones show up!)

I think it's just the way nature works in some people, and maybe even in everyone if they watch closely enough. Maybe in some people the emphasis switches faster--like losing two pounds one week and two inches the following week--so they don't really notice the effect. But in me it seems to be losing pounds steadily for a month or two followed by a period in which the pounds stay on but I get slimmer.

Hey, who cares? The end goal is achieved. A smaller, healthier me. :)

It goes like that for me, too. I just survived a month of no scale movement, before this week...yet, in that same time frame, my pants were getting baggy, I had to move the 22's forward to the front of the closet, and people were commenting on how much weight I'd lost. Some smart lady around here wrote about "back fat" and I think she's onto something...we have fat stored all over the place, and fat doesn't weigh much, so you can lose just a little fat on your neck or back, and the scale won't move, but you'll look better, and your clothes will be loser. It made sense to me. Cindy

I don't know how 'up front' you are with your mom, but you might just tell her to back off. I know she paid for your surgery and probably feels some how that you owe it to her to be skinny by now or something, but it just doesn't work that way.

25 lbs in 2 months is really fantastic. Now you aren't losing lbs, but your body is readjusting itself; I think when we lose weight, our body doesn't know what to do now that the weight is off. Every time I lose a few pounds, my back hurts for a few weeks, it's the darndest thing. I've decided that the fat is kind of padding my spine so that my muscles don't have to work so hard to hold me up, but when the fat is less, the muscles freak out... if that makes any sense. Also, my losing pattern contributes to that, because I don't lose anything for a few months, then drop 5 or 6 lbs right away so it's kind of a shock to the system I think.

Anyhow, the scale will move again :)

Jodie,

It's good to hear from you! I am so glad to hear that you have lost 23lbs already!!! Sounds like it is working to me. I have only been banded for a couple of weeks. My body freaked out for a bit at first when I was barely taking in any calories. When I started taking in more I actually gained a few pounds back. But thankfully I have lost those pounds and I am on my way back down. I think I just had to adjust or soemthing. Bodies are weird and do weird things. I give up trying to totally figure it out. Just remember, you are making progress, AMAZING progress. Keep your chin up!