Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't lose the weight! Help!

No matter what I do I can't seem to lose the weight. I was banded on June 30, 2009, I started out at 252 lbs and I am currently 229 lbs which means almost 6 months later I am only 23 lbs down, its just so frustrating. I am currently at 8cc and I have an appointment next week for another fill. I have the Realize Band which means I can go up to 11cc so I'm pretty close to filling it. My doctor says not to worry I'm doing well and it will pick up soon but I honestly don't think 23lbs in 6 months is good.

The worst part of all of this is I live in New York and my family lives in California, I'm going to go visit them in 3 weeks for Christmas, which means I know to expect a lot of people asking me "Didn't you have WEIGHT LOSS surgery 6 months ago?" I wanted to be at least 50lbs down in 6 months before I went home so I can at least look different. I know 23 lbs is good and I'm down a dress size but that is definitely not what I was expecting.

Is anyone else experiencing such a slow weight loss process or am I just doing something extremely wrong?

Any tips would be a great help!

Yes, I'm experiencing the same as you. I was banded July 8 and have only lost 3lbs since my pre surgical weight. I just had my 3rd fill and am up to 4.5cc's with about no feeling of restriction or satiety. My doc says that I just haven't met my sweet spot yet but it will happen and to just have patience. This fill I had the other day now I can notice a bit of a difference. I too was hoping for at least a 30lb loss before Christmas but it didn't happen. Since this fill has me feeling a bit of restriction I'm keeping faith that the fills to follow will give me even more and start this weight loss process. I do exercise and I watch what I eat, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. My doc said it's all about that sweet spot for me because I'm doing all else right.

Did you lose weight on the presurgical diet? Everytime I have a fill my Dr. says I have to do 2 days of liquid and 2 days of mushies. That always pushes me south a bit in terms of weight. If you have not had to do that I would the "5 day pouch test" as it helps to reset things a bit. Just google it to see what it says.

A lot of people say that they can eat whatever they want now just less of it and I am wondering if you have also been doing that. Just surmizing here but I chose to completely change my eating habits and I began (slowly at first) to exercise and now it is a matter of routine for me. I was eating a lot of fast food and a lot of candy type food. I totally cut all of that out. I no longer eat fast food and I no longer eat candy, bread, red meat, Pasta, rice or potatoes. And no carbonation of any kind. It has salt and other things that keep the weight on. I really don't miss any of it. However, I am doing this until I reach my goal weight. I am not saying I will stay off of those things forever but until I am where I want to be. And then, only occasionally. Just a suggestion that may help jump start you. But really, exercise truly helps and staying away from the starches really helps also. I know that this doesn't work for everyone and some people can eat what they want and still lose the weight but I was unable to do that so I chose to cut out certain things for now. It has really made the difference for me.

I have to agree that exercise is an important tool to get you to loose more weight. After 3 weeks, I stopped loosing weight, so i started walking 30 - 45 min a day, doing Firm work out 5 days a week, yoga and wii Fit. My weight is dropping now and not to mention the inches!

as the previous post mentioned, I stay away from Rice, white potatoes, fatty meat and bread. This is partially because when I do eat those things, I get this "oh my god i am so full and now i want to nap" feeling and I try to avoid that as i want to keep my energy up. I do give myself one meal a week to have something but that’s it. For example, last Sunday, I had a slice of pizza with veggies and that was it -but i even got that lethargic feeling after eating that. I eat mostly fish, turkey and chicken breast with veggies and once or twice a week yams.

I drink Decaf green tea 30 min after each meal and i drink 64-80 oz of Water a day. My Protein is right on point. Whenever I do not drink enough Water or have enough Protein - that is when i am starving. Otherwise, I am almost never hungry. I eat 3 meals a day with 1 or 2 Snacks in between.

Just reevaluate your diet and your exercise and I think things would move right along.

Good luck :w00t:

I find it hard to believe you are doing everything right if you can't lose at least 3 to 4 pounds a month. When you are obese, it takes a lot more calories to maintain your weight. My calorie counting program allows me 2600 calories a day to lose 2 pounds a week. 2600 IS A LOT OF food, AND A LOT OF BAD food.< /p>

I track everything. Do you? I find I have to exercise every day or at least 6 days a week for 45 to 90 min. I maintain my calorie, fat and Protein count to keep calories below 1400 (when exercising, 1200 when not), fat below 25% and Protein above 80 grams. Absolutely no Snacks with sugar, and then only one snack a day (jello, pudding etc... all sugar free).

Ok, that is discipline. It is hard at first. I do not plan to do all this work for the rest of my life, but at least for a year till I have conditioned my head to know what food should look like to a new, normal me.

If you are not losing 3 to 4 pounds a month, I would either be at a doctor demanding tests to see what your body is doing to you that most peoples bodies don't do to them in the retention of weight. OR, I would be looking hard at the mirror and being honest with myself about what I am doing and what lies I am telling myself about what I am putting into my mouth......

This band is too dramatic a step, costs to much, and is a big decision. To not support that is such a waste.

Be honest with yourself. If you cannot control your impulses, get head help. I would bet a lot that your slow weight loss is due to what your head is doing, not your tummy!

TJ

Tarajim is very blunt in her posting, but she is right on the money. I believe you are eating MORE and exercising less than you think you are. Weighing or measuring all your food and include your beverages in your count. Take your pulse during exercise to make sure you are getting your heart rate up. You asked for advice and help, well here it is.

Best wishes,

Mimi

Tarajim is very blunt in her posting, but she is right on the money. I believe you are eating MORE and exercising less than you think you are. Weighing or measuring all your food and include your beverages in your count. Take your pulse during exercise to make sure you are getting your heart rate up. You asked for advice and help, well here it is.

Best wishes,

Mimi

Tarajim is a guy!!! Sorry, Tara is a company, Jim is my name. Thanks for the response....

TJ

Edited by tarajim

Tarajim is a guy!!!

Prove it.

Just kidding.

I figured it out by the amount calories you are consuming. Women burn far less calories than we do. I doubt anything would be lost by a normal woman consuming 2,600 calories a day.

The original poster and and anyone that thinks they are doing everything right and still not losing weight should look into investing in a Bodybugg. It will tell you how many calories you are burning. Then you enter what you're eating on their website and they do the calculations for you.

It is working for me. I am burning an average of 4,000 a day and eating less than 2,000. I'm dropping 3-5 pounds a week and won't be banded until February.

Jim,

Next time I need a reality check - I am going right to you!

Prove it.

Just kidding.

I figured it out by the amount calories you are consuming. Women burn far less calories than we do. I doubt anything would be lost by a normal woman consuming 2,600 calories a day.

The original poster and and anyone that thinks they are doing everything right and still not losing weight should look into investing in a Bodybugg. It will tell you how many calories you are burning. Then you enter what you're eating on their website and they do the calculations for you.

It is working for me. I am burning an average of 4,000 a day and eating less than 2,000. I'm dropping 3-5 pounds a week and won't be banded until February.

How bout the proof that I never stop and ask for directions!!!!

I do the same thing on my Iphone with a program called Loseit!!! It has a website component that automatically updates from my Iphone. Best this about this is it is always with me, and I can use it to make decisions by plugging in a food to see what it's calories/fat/protein are before eating or ordering it.... But ANY tool, yours, Livestrong, The Realize site, or mine or the 100 others is better than guessing and lying to yourself about what you are doing.....

TJ,....Sitting on the couch with my hand in my waistband... just like Al Bundy....

:-)

Jim,

Next time I need a reality check - I am going right to you!

Ok, but promise me you would be just as honest to me if I ever need a kick in the butt!!!

TJ

Ok, but promise me you would be just as honest to me if I ever need a kick in the butt!!!

TJ

Oh I will kick your butt! Just promise me no tears :w00t:

My problem is that I hardly ate to begin with. I'm used to eating only 1 meal a day. I'm 248lbs but I'm solid and a size 16/18. I am wondering if this band was right for me. When I had my physical therapy eval prior to surgery, they measured my muscle mass. The therapist questioned why I was getting the band and how I qualified. The pulmonologist and cardiologist said the same. I've never been a fan of bread or soda to begin with, and the new diet isn't really a change for me. I eat the chobani yogurt like I always did, drink the sugar free carnation instant Breakfast. I talked with my doctor a lot before surgery and he said it will take me a little longer to lose as compared to others that are built different. I'm not the only one I know like this.