Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about Quantity

I was banded on Sept 24 and to date have lost 43lbs to date however this has slowed down dramatically over the past 3 weeks. I am currently at 6cc's in a 10cc band and I believe according to my dr's that i am at my sweet spot....However I can still eat more than a cup of food at times depending on what it is...I just don't!

My question is does everyone always measure their food or just eyeball it? and if you do measure it what do you use just a regular measuring cup? or is there a set of scales that will measure? I hate my food mixing hehe I almost never measure and i'm wondering if this is the reason my weight loss has slowed down??

Thanks!

There could be several reasons for your slowdown....it could just be that your body needs to adjust to that huge wt loss you have accomplished. The closer you get to goal the less calories you need, so you need to count calories too besides measuring. If you want to eat a cup of food, by all means use different measuring cups...I personally don't like mixing my food either.

Good luck,

Mimi

I was banded on Sept 24 and to date have lost 43lbs to date however this has slowed down dramatically over the past 3 weeks. I am currently at 6cc's in a 10cc band and I believe according to my dr's that i am at my sweet spot....However I can still eat more than a cup of food at times depending on what it is...I just don't!

My question is does everyone always measure their food or just eyeball it? and if you do measure it what do you use just a regular measuring cup? or is there a set of scales that will measure? I hate my food mixing hehe I almost never measure and i'm wondering if this is the reason my weight loss has slowed down??

Thanks!

Why do your doctors believe you are at your 'sweet spot' if you can still eat more than a cup of food?

You can measure each food out in separate measuring cups, making sure that the total doesn't equal more than 1 cup. For example 1/2 cup Protein, 1/4 cup vegies, 1/4 cup rice or potato.

Personally, I don't go by the 'cup' because even a normal person is able to eat more than 1 cup and that's what I'm aiming for since this is a lifestyle change for me.

I usually weigh out 3-4 oz of Protein, 1/2 cup low carb vegies (meaning no peas or corn) and 1/4 cup carbs (Pasta, rice, potato or half of a dinner roll). Occasionally I'll have a small salad as well (amounts to about 1/2-3/4 cup of baby greens or raw spinach).

Elfie...They think i'm at my sweet spot because I can eat 1 cup of food and i'm not hungry at all until about 4 hours later. Although I can fit more in I don't have to to have that full feeling. They said they go by satiety not necessarily restriction...which kinda sucks as sometimes i think i eat too much because of not measuring...

Thank you both for the tips :wink2:

Elfie...They think i'm at my sweet spot because I can eat 1 cup of food and i'm not hungry at all until about 4 hours later. Although I can fit more in I don't have to to have that full feeling. They said they go by satiety not necessarily restriction...which kinda sucks as sometimes i think i eat too much because of not measuring...

Thank you both for the tips :wink2:

Interesting distinction but if it's working for you then great!

That wouldn't work with me. I've said that when it comes to carbs I feel like an alcoholic. If I avoid them completely, I do fine. If I make the mistake of taking that one bite...wham, I can't seem to stop until I'm 'full'. So I need the restriction to stop me...which is the difference between 1 piece of pizza and half of a pizza.< /p>

When I am home I try to always measure. I am on 1/2 cup portion each meal. When we are eating out I find it very hard to eye ball that size but I do my best. Sometimes I worry about over eating and think I should start to carry a measuring cup with me!

I don't measure. My band stops me at about 1/2 cup. I can eat a little more if it is something like Soup. There is no way I could eat 1/2c Protein + 1/4c vegie + 1/4c rice, potatoe, bread .... no way

I don't measure. My band stops me at about 1/2 cup. I can eat a little more if it is something like Soup. There is no way I could eat 1/2c Protein + 1/4c vegie + 1/4c rice, potatoe, bread .... no way

Apparently a lot of docs are going for the 1/2 cup maximum. Mine says we should be able to eat 1 cup of food. I'm not even going for the 1 cup maximum. I want to be able to eat 2-4 oz of Protein, 1/2 cup of cooked vegies and 1/4 c. carbs (rice, etc.) and maybe a small tossed salad. Perhaps I'll lose weight more slowly, but that's ok. I'm not in a race. For me this is about quality of life and it was never my intent to give up food...just control the quantity. :w00t:

It's not just that my doc. says 1/2 cup. I can only eat 1/2c. If I eat more, I will be in pain or worse.

I use Protein Shakes and other suppliments to get the Protein in.

I am not in a race. I am obese, I got the band, the weight is coming off. That's all.

Apparently a lot of docs are going for the 1/2 cup maximum. Mine says we should be able to eat 1 cup of food. I'm not even going for the 1 cup maximum. I want to be able to eat 2-4 oz of Protein, 1/2 cup of cooked vegies and 1/4 c. carbs (rice, etc.) and maybe a small tossed salad. Perhaps I'll lose weight more slowly, but that's ok. I'm not in a race. For me this is about quality of life and it was never my intent to give up food...just control the quantity. :w00t:

I could not have said it better myself. This is EXACTLY my take on this process--quality of life/control over the quantity of food.< /p>

It's not just that my doc. says 1/2 cup. I can only eat 1/2c. If I eat more, I will be in pain or worse.

I use Protein shakes and other suppliments to get the Protein in.

I am not in a race. I am obese, I got the band, the weight is coming off. That's all.

Sorry if I offended. It was not my intent.

Your inability to eat more than 1/2 cup is due to your fill. It's your choice whether to stay at that fill and only eat 1/2 cup or lessen the fill so you're able to eat 1 cup...or whatever amount. No judgments. Each of us has to decide where that will be.

I know that I will lose faster if I continue to get fills until I can only eat 1/2 cup, but that's not for me. No judgment on those who do.

I honestly don't care whether or not it takes me 2 years to lose this weight. I just want to deal with food like normal people and get my blood sugar levels down and the weight loss is a bonus.

Again...no judgments. :w00t:

How is everyone getting their Protein and vegies in with half a cup of food?

If you want to be sure you're getting your Protein without going to all the hassle of counting the grams in everything you eat, just drink two Protein shakes as a mid-meal 'mini' meal. The two together will provide roughly 50 gm of protein, ensuring you're getting your daily requirement and have the added bonus of stabilizing blood sugar levels which lessen hunger and cravings.

EAS and Isopure both make Protein Shakes (the chocolate is good) that are 110 calories, 3 gm carbs and 25 gms of protein per shake. Isopure is actually double that because they make their 8 oz drink with 2 scoops of powder, but I just make mine with 1 scoop of powder.< /p>