Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today was the first day of my preop diet and I thought I was dying. I have 13 more days of this?!?!?! how will I make it out alive?!

Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!:sad:

I slept a lot today. This is my second day!!

I won't lie, it sucked. But you CAN do it. It does get easier.

One thing that kept me going was thinking about all my fellow bandsters who've done it and survived. There was no reason I couldn't as well.

Also, I just kept thinking about how I would be devastated if I hadn't shrunk my liver and woke up from surgery without a band. That would be the worst. Fortunately for me, I followed the diet to a T, as my surgeon said I have a larger liver, although no signs of fatty liver. Can you imagine if I hadn't followed the diet and had a large liver that was also fatty? I'm convinced I wouldn't have gotten a band, and as a self-pay patient, that would have royally sucked!

Amy

Today was the first day of my preop diet and I thought I was dying. I have 13 more days of this?!?!?! how will I make it out alive?!

Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!:)

Are you drinking the Protein shakes? Be sure to keep as active as possible and drink fluids when you are hungry. Think of the long run. You will soon be to the finish line and then you to can look back and tell everyone how much the pre op diet sucked. But the great thing is that it DOES give you a jump start on your diet and your liver will definitely be better. You can do it. Just keep telling yourself how good you will look and how much better you will feel. Use us for support and whoever you have on the outside to support you. Stay away from temptation as much as you can. We will meet you at the finish line. Best of luck to you. YOU CAN DO IT!! :sad:

I'm there too. I'm on day 10 and I am so tired of sweet stuff! I have this artificial sweetener taste in the back of my mouht that won't go away! Two things that so far have realy helped me are sugar free gum and bouillon. I didn't like the bouillon cubes and they were REALly high in sodium. I found this stuff at the grocery store in the Soup aisle called "Better Than Bouillon". I picked up 4 of the 6 flavors and they've ALL been good. I have one serving a day because of the sodium, but, it's SO nice to have something other than sweet all the time! Good luck and hang in there! There is a method to this maddness!

Hey Kels764,

Has your pre-op diet been getting any easier now that your a few more days in?? I'm on day 1 today and it has been REALLY hard. I totally agree with Irishbookworm, the chicken broth or bouillon has saved me even on day 1.

Any more pointers?

I'm there too. I'm on day 10 and I am so tired of sweet stuff! I have this artificial sweetener taste in the back of my mouht that won't go away! Two things that so far have realy helped me are sugar free gum and bouillon. I didn't like the bouillon cubes and they were REALly high in sodium. I found this stuff at the grocery store in the Soup aisle called "Better Than Bouillon". I picked up 4 of the 6 flavors and they've ALL been good. I have one serving a day because of the sodium, but, it's SO nice to have something other than sweet all the time! Good luck and hang in there! There is a method to this maddness!

wow! you know I never really thought about it all being sweet but it is! I might have to try the bouillon thing! I am craving salt! thanks so much for the encouragement!

Hey Kels764,

Has your pre-op diet been getting any easier now that your a few more days in?? I'm on day 1 today and it has been REALLY hard. I totally agree with Irishbookworm, the chicken broth or bouillon has saved me even on day 1.

Any more pointers?

Its gotten a lot easier! I called my surgeons office telling him I was having a hard time the first day and she said that the 3rd day was the hardest...but I dont believe that because the first day was h-e-l-l! I am now doing really good...Ive discovered carnation instant breakfast-sugar free and I can choke that down a lot easier than the slimfast. I am still having a hard time finding a Protein drink that is decent tasting....but hang in there! it really does get easier! sleep as much as you can :thumbup:

Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!:thumbup:

I'm with you Kels, this sucks!! I'm on day six of ten and must admit I caved today for the first time. It was only a little cave, but I still feel bad. I had a slice of turkey lunch meat (30 cals) and 1/2 banana. If I would have read some of these posts first this morning, I don't think I would have caved. Hopefully, that will be my only slip up. I'm down 7.5 lbs and the surgeon wants me down 8-10lbs, so hopefully, it will be ok!

Good luck on the rest of your stinkin' diet and with surgery! Everyone says if you can get through the diet, the rest is easy! :woot:

Good luck on your stinkin' diet too!!! :thumbup::wow: I have 10 days to go....and I keep repeating "I think I can I think I can I think I can I think I can!!!" haha! Thats not a bad slipup at all! I havent slipped up just yet....but Im not getting on my high horse just yet lol....that pizza my brother cooked earlier smelled SOOOO good I thought I was gonna die! Ive lost 10 lbs so far!:woot:

I'm new here but thought I'd just jump right in. I'm on day four of my nine day pre-op diet. My surgeon prescribes the HMR shakes. They are expensive - almost $40 a box and I need two boxes - but they taste really good! They also gave a list of recipes to make different flavors so I got a box of vanilla and chocolate and I can make pumpkin pie, chocolate raspberry, strawberry vanilla, pistacchio, etc. I can also freeze them and they are like an ice milk or "frosty" type treat so that makes a nice change. I eat the frozen one for my last of the day (I have to have four.) My diet is four of these shakes a day, 1/2 cup of cottage cheese OR yogurt, 2 cups of fruit juice or vegetable juice and as much sugar free Jello, drinks, Water, and broth as I like. I'll admit that it isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I have to catch myself by not automatically trying to take a bite off the kids plate when I'm clearing the table. Bad habits die hard. But so far I've been good. My surgery is this Friday and I'm just anxious for it to be over with and get on with the next stage of my life. I feel like this pre-op diet is training for the marathon of after surgery.

I'm new here but thought I'd just jump right in. I'm on day four of my nine day pre-op diet. My surgeon prescribes the HMR shakes. They are expensive - almost $40 a box and I need two boxes - but they taste really good! They also gave a list of recipes to make different flavors so I got a box of vanilla and chocolate and I can make pumpkin pie, chocolate raspberry, strawberry vanilla, pistacchio, etc. I can also freeze them and they are like an ice milk or "frosty" type treat so that makes a nice change. I eat the frozen one for my last of the day (I have to have four.) My diet is four of these shakes a day, 1/2 cup of cottage cheese OR yogurt, 2 cups of fruit juice or vegetable juice and as much sugar free Jello, drinks, Water, and broth as I like. I'll admit that it isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I have to catch myself by not automatically trying to take a bite off the kids plate when I'm clearing the table. Bad habits die hard. But so far I've been good. My surgery is this Friday and I'm just anxious for it to be over with and get on with the next stage of my life. I feel like this pre-op diet is training for the marathon of after surgery.

jeeze I wonder why some doctors choose different diets than others? my diet is 14 days...the first 3 days was 3 slimfast a day and 1 Protein shake and the next 10 days are 2 slimfast (I use carnation instant breakfast) and 1 small garden salad, and 1 Protein Shake

I never realized how many commercials are about food until I was starving to death lol:bored: