Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confession: I had ?regular? food-help!

I am just over two weeks out from surgery, and I get so hungry at times it makes me feel almost ill. Yep, physical hunger, not head hunger. I still have head hunger, but I am trying to ignore that demon. Anyway, I caved. I just had what I think to be a cup of tortilla Soup, soggy tortilla strips, rice and chicken included. Unbelievably, I still feel some growling in my big tummy. And I wish I could say that was the only solids I have had but it isn’t. Though in very small, chewed-to-goo, quantities, I have screwed up a couple of other times in the last couple of days too. I know my food went down though. I feel everything just go “kerplunk” into my big tummy. Especially liquids, of course. I don’t feel anything in my mini-tummy and no problems eating anything. I guess all the swelling has gone down. I have no restriction that I can tell. I expected this, of course, but not so soon. What have I done? Did I just totally screw something up? Could I have done damage? It seems like everyone else does so well on their post-op diets. I feel like a heel. Help?

In other fantastic news, however, it feels great to burp big again. Yea!<O:p</O:p

OK, I am off to drink some Water or something. Thanks.

Ok Ok everyone cheats - don't do it blah blah. The reality here is that it's so hard not to cheat b/c A. you're used to the level of "hunger" you probably felt all the time before, and B. most people have NO restriction until they get a fill. You are at a tough stage but I will give you my thoughts:

1. like Jack told me - hunger does not mean you have to eat until you are stuffed and can't cram anymore in. You have to re-teach yourself that there is a thing such as comfortably full.

2. my tummy growls alot even when I'm totally not hungry - I think the tummy noises are just something that bandsters have to deal with but I'll trade it for weight loss any ole day!

3. Don't cheat b/c it's not good for you, but also don't obsess over cheating - just move on and try to do better. If you are on mushies there are mushies that are more filling (ex. mashed potatoes are way more filling than Tomato soup). Try potato salad, mashed potatoes, blended brocolli Soup - stuff that may fill you up more. Also if you just have a craving try to modify it to what you can have. For example I was craving nachos so I had fat-free refried Beans, light velveeta, some lowfat sour cream and avacado and mushed that all together and it took away my nacho craving.

Just my suggestions! Good luck and you will be healed soon and get that fill soon and you'll be fine!

I wish I were on mushies. I am still onliquids adding only yogurt and prtoen shakes at this stage. Including my pre-op diet, that puts me a few weeks at this, and I am defintely fighting serious head hunger. PHEW!

--whispering to myself--"It will get better, it will get better..."

Hey, go easy on yourself. Some doctors allow solid food after a couple weeks. Tell your doc what you did. Soup is tricky with restriction, because all liquid flows right through to the bottom. The reason we aren't allowed to drink with meals is because liquid pushes the food through to the big tummy faster. See if he'll let you have cottage cheese tomorrow, but don't wash it down with liquid. See if that helps you stay full.

Could I have done damage?

Be careful to NOt do it again until your Dr. tells you too.. Yes there is a risk of eating solids too soon before your Dr. allows. The reason is the digestion process. even though your food went down OK and you had not problems, that is not the issue, it iswhat goes on after that, the digestion. The band needs to set into place , anchor in if you will..and any food needing to be digested too soon is not good. There is a lot of rumblinmg, churning and turnin that goes on down there during digestion. I was told that if Iate solids too son, I could risk my band slipping since it has not anchored in properly within the first 3 weeks. Scar tissues needs to form to keep it in place..The sopup may not be a problem but if you are eating other solids, if it were me I'd stop and continue to follow my Dr.s instructions. I know it is tough but we all made it through to tel labout it, and the reward is so worth it :( Good Luck and hang in there

I haven't seen you here for a while. I was wondering about you - I remembered that you weren't feeling well before your surgery. Congratulations on getting your band!!!! A friend of mine was recently banded and is going through tthe same thing as you - hunger. She went to the doc and they advanced her to mushies. Ask...u never know. But be carefull - try not to do solids to frequently before your swelling goies down. You don't want slippage. Good Luck to You.

Girl, I have a condo in that neighborhood! I had the band on the 4th of Oct....and yesterday I made Pasta for my kids and helped theme at it (yeah...like more than 3/4 cup). I don't have any restriction either. I kind of wish I didn't know that! Well, I picked myself up, dusted myself off, and started all over agin. It's OK! I bet you "cheated"with a lot less food than you would have before the band!

Get back on that horse!

Jon

Thanks everyone. I am doing better. Still not perfect, but better and being careful.

Daniela! Thanks for your thoughts. Good to see you are doing so well!!! That is fantastic. Keep kicking butt, girl!

I had my surgery on the 26th of September. Went on a cruise on the 14th of October, not quite 3 weeks. I ate a little bit of everything at meal time. Had to taste the food. It also gave me an opportuinity to see what types of fish I like.

Today my first day back I'm back to protien shakes and Soup. I'm hoping I haven't gained. I feel the hunger too! Hang in there, it does get easier, don't forget to drink your water! That really helps.

If you're starving and you're on liquids, fill up on thick liquids, my doctor told me anything that would go through a straw, did you know sausage gravy very well blended with a little Water to thin it is very filling.

If you've got to have something, stand over the sink, chew and then spit. You don't want your tummy to have to work to digest the food. It's your healing time, yes it's hard to do, but you can do it. You've come this far, don't take the chance to cause problems. Come talk to us, that's what we're here for.