Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New here and not sure if I qualify for this

Hello. My name is Michelle. I am 5'2 and weigh 190 lbs. I think I'm borderline on the BMI for the Lap Band surgery. I've tried everything diet/exercise wise. My primary insurance is Medicare because I'm on disability for bipolar disorder, I also have high B/P, and very low metabolism. Some of my meds make me gain weight and increase my risk for diabetes, which both my parents have and they are also obese.

Do you all think I will qualify for this surgery?

Thanks and blessings, Michelle

Hi Michelle!

I don't know much about MediCare; you're best bet would be to call your contact and talk to them about it. For most insurances that I've heard about, you must have a BMI of 35, with co-morbidities, and you're right on the borderline of that.

Keep us informed as to what you find out. Best of luck to you!

hi michelle a friend of mine was in your shoes and they found she had sleep apnea and she qualified with that. Best to check it out.

Thank you both. I've been tested for sleep apnea and was negative, although I snore like a logger. I'm hoping my hypertension diagnosis will help with the co-morbidity thing. Today I had a neurologist appt. (I suffer Migraines too) they weighed me and I weighed 184 which puts my BMI to 34.

I am attending a free seminar on the Lap Band in a couple of weeks in Kansas City, KS. I'm hoping they can tell me more about what will help qualify me. I guess before I go in to be weighed, I could pig out on pizza and steak??? (J/K) (To make me weigh more)

Anyway, I have another question...does this surgery involve a lot of vomiting post op? I can't stand to throw up.

Blessings, Michelle

From what I understand, they actually give you meds to prevent you from throwing up, immediately post-op because throwing up would be so bad for you. After that, I think it's a matter of how you eat for most people (I haven't been banded yet, so have no experience to speak from). If you eat slowly, take small bites and chew thoroughly, throwing up shouldn't be a problem. There is something called a "productive burp" that some people experience that involves tightness and spitting up, but not really throwing up. It's are for me to explain, because I haven't experienced it.

Are you reading blogs of people who have had the lapband? That's a great way to learn what it's like from people who have had the surgery. Check out my blog and visit the links in my blogroll. I only have a few so far, but most of them have blogrolls that are much longer!

Hi Amaris. I bought a book last night highly recommended at Amazon about the Band and contains many success stories; I'm anxious to get it and read it.

I've also been to youtube.com and watched many before and after videos. I'm psyched for the seminar, although I've been to one with my sis-in-law a couple years ago, but with a different practice.

My mother in law is accompanying me to the seminar; she also is obese and very interested in the Band; maybe we could get a 2 for 1 deal? lol

Thanks and blessings, Michelle

Michelle -- What book? I just finished Weight Loss Surgery with the Adjustable Gastric Band by Robert W. Sewell and Linda Rohrbough. It was very informative and had lots of personal stories.

My husband and I are going to a seminar on Thursday. He has a few pounds to lose, but not enough to qualify for this surgery. I think, though, that my new approach to food will influence him to make some healthy changes in his life.

Good luck to you!

Amaris: Yes! That is the book I bought; glad to hear you enjoyed it; I'm sure I will too!

:-)Blessings, Michelle