Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Delights 2009

Hope everyone is doing well! Can't wait to be right there with you this Monday! Congrats and good luck to everyone being banded today and this weekend.

Good luck to you! Let us know how everything goes.

Thanks! I definitely will :biggrin:

I cant find my signature line.

Also posted on my blog:

I don't have a birth story, but I do have a "Bruce" story. If you'll recall, I named my band Bruce.

Got up at 5, hopped in shower, shaved my legs - cuz I didn't want them to see hairy legs when they put the compression socks on me.

Hubby got up soon after and hopped in the show too. He takes forever to get ready. We left the house at 5:59 a.m. Got at the surgery center at 6:00. We seriously only live like 5-6 blocks from the surgery center.

Got signed in, then went back a few minutes later to get weighed, pee in a cup, then change into the lovely hospital gown. They put the legs compressions on me, the IV in my right hand, hooked me up to all the little electrodes on my chest. Hubby came in for a while before it was time to go back.

They wheeled me into the OR and started the first drug. It was some sort of muscle relaxer. Well, it relaxed me so much I couldn't breathe! I tried grabbing on to the oxygen mask, they kept say just relax and breathe. They weren't getting it that I couldn't breathe. I thought for sure I was dead. Finally I just let go and the next thing I knew I was waking up in recovery.

I freaked out and started crying because I remembered that! They calmed me down, and the anesthesiologist came in I told him what I remembered, and he had them give me some medication that was supposed to make me forget it. I remember him saying that it was the same drug that they give to ra.pe vi.ctims to help them forget. Well it didn't work because I still remember.

All it did was result in my blood pressure dropping so I had to stay longer in recovery. I couldn't get up to use the restroom because my pressure was too low. They said I could use the bedpan but I said I would hold it.

Finally around 1:15 or so, I was able to get up, use the restroom, and get dressed. Hubby in the meantime had gone to the pharmacy to fill my Stadol (sp?) as I would need it. He also asked about my liquid antibiotic since they neglected to tell me it needed refrigeration when I bought it. They said it would still be good.

We finally left and got home at about 1:30, I think. Been sitting and laying on the couch, dozing off and on. Took some pics of my incisions which I'll post in the next couple of days. Oh, and pictures of Bruce too, before it was on and after, while in my tummy.

Have drank some watered down apple juice, some really yummy vegetable broth, and now am sipping on Water. My left shoulder is feeling the gas pain. My stomach/abdomen feels like I've had a pretty tough abdominal work out.

But I have survived and am enjoying Hubby taking care of me. He is doing a great job. Even Sugar (my younger dog) is keeping a close eye on me.

Good luck to those being banded today and tomorrow! I am one week post op and I'm in the mushies stage. I have to say though, I don't have any restriction, but, if I over eat, even a little, BOY do I feel it! I have my first fill scheduled in 5 weeks and I'm really excited about it! Right now though, I'd just be happy with healing so that I can sleep on my side again! How is every one's recovery going? I think for me it's going to be a little rough getting my brain to re-think portion sizes. Anyone else having the same issue??

Hi Everyone -

I'm Jason! I was banded on 12/10, one week ago today and I have to say I'm feeling great. I've been wanting the surgery for years and finally insurance came through and granted me this new lease on life.

I'm 34, live in the Chicago area, I have a 20 month old daughter, and a great wife. I also have a stressful job, diabetes (last a1c was 5.9! yay!), sleep apena,depression, and a pretty significant weight problem, and all of the above can be attributed to my weight.

I've been fat since I was a kid, before I can even remember and have blamed it on everything but me. With the band, I feel like I've been given back the power over food controling my life. Before last week my life revolved around food, and now I will search for happiness without overeating. The emotional journey is stacking up to be greater than the physical one.

I've been relatively pain free but uncomfortable after the surgery and am cautiously optimistic about getting back to work on Monday, at least there's a couple extra days off for Christmas in there.

I've been reading posts on this site for a couple of weeks and decided it's time to stop hiding and start participating. Thanks to all of you for the nuggets of inspiration! It's so cool to know we're all on this journey together.

I hope I posted this in the right place and I hope it made some sort of sense. From someone a week out of surgery, good luck to those about to get banded, it's not as bad as you think it will be, but not perfect either!

I look forward to becoming part of this community.

Sincerely

Jason

PS. 3 years ago I was 360, 290 before surgery, about 283 now. Trying to figure out how to add one of those tickers to the bottom of my posts.....

Ok stupid question time my fellow delights...

Tomorrow is surgery day, and I'm REALLY confused on one stupid lil' detail... when you have your surgery as an out patient are you dressed and your shirt is up? Or are you in a hospital gown? I've been reading and it seems like people have various stories, and I'm tryin' to figure out what to wear tomorrow... silly I know.. But someone posted "Women where a buttoned down top and no bra".

I can't quite put my mind around that one.. Can someone please explain?

Tomorrow is surgery day, and I'm REALLY confused on one stupid lil' detail... when you have your surgery as an out patient are you dressed and your shirt is up? Or are you in a hospital gown? I've been reading and it seems like people have various stories, and I'm tryin' to figure out what to wear tomorrow... silly I know.. But someone posted "Women where a buttoned down top and no bra".

Well congrats to you. You'll be in and out and hardly remember a thing. Don't worry. *Melinco, I'm sorry that you remember... it sounds like a scary moment (not being able to breathe). As for me, I went right to sleep.< /p>

As far as how you're dressed, I was handed a gown and told to change in the bathroom - nothing on underneath (no bra, no nothing). They didn't even want me to wear my own fuzzy socks. They gave me the kind with skid resistance on the bottom. They also handed me a cup to pee in when I went to the bathroom. That's when I found out I wasn't pregnant (my husband's clipped - it wasn't a surprise). The bra I wore there (and back) was wireless. *fyi - one of the incisions is exactly where the bra line is - right at the sternum area. As soon as I got home, I took that puppy off! I brought a book and magazines to read while I waited for my surgery (with IV attached, laying on a gurney wearing nothing but a gown and skid-resistant socks), but my husband sat with me the whole time and we chatted, hugged, laughed etc.

You'll get through it just fine, but I'll pray for you just the same. Hugs to you.

K

no clothes at all as you will be in a gown.

those comments were what to wear in to the hospital or home

Hi Jason,

I'll PM you instructions on the ticker. Welcome. :biggrin: I loved your post. It made perfect sense. I know what you mean about taking back power over food. That (and the weightloss itself) is the most exciting part to me too. Keep posting and take care!

Hi all,

Went to bed last night around 11:00 as I had fallen asleep on the couch right after taking a pain med dose at 10:00. Woke up at 2 am and had to use restroom, take some more pain meds, and walk a little bit. Back up at 6 am for more of the same. I tried getting back to bed but couldn't sleep.< /p>

Now I'm on the couch dozing on and off. Still have gas pains in my shoulder. I need to take another gas x strip and walk.

I've been drinking apple juice, veggie broth, and this morning some v8 fusion mixed with a scoop of whey Protein Powder. I'm having a hard time remembering to sip, not gulp, as I'm still pretty thirsty. I wanted coffee but decided to put that off for a few more days.

I have to do that blowy thing every four hours, so it's time for that too. My pain pump is slowly deflating, thus I have not had pain at my incision sites.

Only thing I wish I had bought prior to the surgery is a heating pad. Maybe I'll send hubby to Walgreens today to pick one up for my shoulder/back.

Hope all the other recently banded delights are doing okay.

I'm home, although had a very rough time of it. I had a HUGE hernia that was repaired. The doctor said he had never seen a biger on! He even took pictures and gave me copies. So, I have actual pictures of my band. As a result I had a loooooooooooot of nausea! The doctor was impressive but the hospital staff was not as great. I don't think they were used to complications such as mine. I was only offered Water and Protein Shakes. They wouldn't let me have apple juice or popsicles. I had to stay for two days. My IV slipped out and as a result I got no pain meds or nausea meds for 8 hours. My hand is the size of Kansas!!! I'm very glad to be home now with all the things I bought for the surgery and I'm much more comfortable. Because of all the nausea they removed all the Fluid from my band too. All in all it was not pleasant. I don't want to ramble on here but wanted you all to know that I made it. Thanks to all for your well wishes and prayers. I will post when I can.

Hugs Illum Lady, welcome back. These surgeries are a big deal! I'm glad it is over, now for healing and recovering. Take care and get some rest.

forgot to mention that when they weighed pre op, with clothes and socks on, I came in at 271. So i figure had I been naked I would haved weighed about 268.:biggrin: