Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's with all the gas????

I had my first bowel movement almost a week after surgery. I am now a month out and have bowel movements every couple of days but the gas I have is CRAZY!! Is this normal? Can I take anything to reduce it? It almost seems constant.

Luckily I have not had any embarassing moments yet but if this continues - I know it is coming!! What should I do?

I am 14 months out now and still have gas all of the time. I was told to keep the Gas X strips on hand, but they don't seem to be doing anything to help, so I am curious on other suggestions as well.

I was having problems with bowel movements after surgery, lots of tummy cramps, etc. Doc told me to start taking Miralax powder to help get things moving, and soften things up a little. Anyways, I have noticed I am not as gasy since starting that. I take it as needed, couple of times a week. Can get it at Walmart and there is a generic.

I keep burping for about 10 mins after eating. Do you have that issue also?

If use Gas-X, you should use two of them. I believe the instructions on the box recommend it or my doctor said it, whichever.

Gas is an ongoing problem for me but so far, I haven't had a problem in public. My day is probably coming too!

I actually logged on tonight because of major gas issues. It's been so bad that I've been unable to sleep a few nights; I just want to curl up in a ball and cry. Gas-X isn't really offering much relief. I'm not sure what to do, but I have read that gas pain can be a complication of the surgery....

Anyway, just offering sympathy I think.

I was having problems with bowel movements after surgery, lots of tummy cramps, etc. Doc told me to start taking Miralax powder to help get things moving, and soften things up a little. Anyways, I have noticed I am not as gasy since starting that. I take it as needed, couple of times a week. Can get it at Walmart and there is a generic.

I keep burping for about 10 mins after eating. Do you have that issue also?

I think I have only burped a couple of times since surgery. I wish it would come out as a burp rather than the other. I bought the Gas X strips the nigh I posted the original message and took 3 of them. They really worked. Box says you can take 2-4 but no more than 8 in 24 hrs.