Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was just wondering at what pace everyone else is losing. I am 3 weeks out today and have lost 30 pounds. 17 of this is since surgery. I feel great about this, but my doc said his goal is 1-2 pounds a week. I have exceeded that and I fear he won't give me a fill when I follow up with him. I am getting more hungry, but I am just trying really hard not to overeat. Amy advice?

I started out losing more then the 1-2lb a week average but it eventually evened out and now I do average the 1-2 lbs a week.. you are only 3 wks out... until you get your first fill, you won't have much restriction...remember, the first 6wks or so after your surgery is to allow your stomach to heal... good luck and let us know how you are doing!

I was just wondering at what pace everyone else is losing. I am 3 weeks out today and have lost 30 pounds. 17 of this is since surgery. I feel great about this, but my doc said his goal is 1-2 pounds a week. I have exceeded that and I fear he won't give me a fill when I follow up with him. I am getting more hungry, but I am just trying really hard not to overeat. Amy advice?

Sounds like you are doing great! The weight loss will slow down after the first couple of months. Then you should steadily lose 1-2 pounds each week.

I was banded on October 27th and had lost about 30 pounds within three weeks. I have since gained about 5 pounds back because of the lack of restriction. I am working on eating smaller amounts, and work out more because I know that until my first fill, I will have no restriction and that allows me to eat just about the same stuff I was before. THAT IS BAD! Weightloss varies from person to person. Sounds like you are doing a great job! Keep it up! Best of luck.

I've gained 10lbs since my surgery in the middle of October. I know some of that is Water weight so I'm not particularly concerned, but it's annoying anyway. Looking forward to fills! Also looking forward to Christmas being over and Loblaws stashing away its candy cane crackle ice cream for another year. I'm not usually a binger but damn, that stuff is seriously addictive!

I'd tell the doc that 'his goal' is not your goal. Your goal is to control your portions and whatever you lose is what it is.

Unfortunately you have one of those doctors who doesn't understand that 1-2 pounds per week is reasonable for someone with 20 pounds to lose. It's not for someone who has 100 pounds to lose. We've been eating a significant amount of calories to maintain that 100 extra pounds. Even cutting back to 1200 calories will result in more than 1-2 pounds per week. Eventually, as we get closer to our goal weight, we'll stop losing as quickly.

I know people cant help being anxious over this issue, but there's really no point.

If you're losing more than 1-2lb a week, then you probably dont NEED a fill. So why worry about not having one? You dont get a band to never feel hungry again, you get one to feel normal levels of appetite and hunger.

I didnt have my first fill until 12 weeks out becuase I just didnt need it. Yes, I started to get hungry and my weight loss slowed from a pound a day to 1 to 2 per week over that time, and yes, I did start to eat more but I was still losing, so why worry?

If your doc doesnt give you a fill this time and you are beginning to get hungrier, then you will probably eat a bit more and then your weight loss will slow and you'll get one next time, but hopefully, he'll be reasonable. I simply said to my doc, yep, weight loss is good but I am beginning to feel hungry, so perhaps just a tiny fill? And that's what we did, I had lots of teeny fills, not three huge ones. But its much easier the way it works in Australia becuase my doc is a few suburbs away and fills cost me nothing.

I think setting weight loss goals is absolutely pointless. You have no control over what your body will do and you have no real way to truly control your rate of loss. You WILL plateau out at times too. People hardly ever lose regularly every week -my pattern was more like 2lb a week for a few weeks after a fill, then nothing for three or four weeks, the suddenly four lbs would be gone overnight, then nothing in a month, then six pounds etc. In other words, totally random. It AVERAGED 1-2lb per week in that I lost about 75lb the first year, but it was i no way steady or predictable. And there was nothing I could do about that so i didnt worry about it.

I also appreciated that my doc was realistic too - I dont think I ever went in with no loss at all, but sometimes it was only 2 or 3 lb and we woudl discuss fill levels and such - but no accusations, or directions to do better.

I told my doctor that "yes, I was losing but it was b/c I was starving myself at times" He did a fill b/c he doesn't want me hungry. I've had three fills and am up 6.75cc in a 11cc band. I'm doing fine but not quite to my sweet spot. This Dec 16th, I should be there when I get my 4th fill.

I had the same problem. I lost ten pounds last month. I went in Monday for a fill and he said no fill because I lost 10 pounds. I did explain to him it was all me dieting, not the band (I think most of us are very good dieters). So he did give me a fill and this is the first I have felt restriction. Sometimes I think you have to tell them what you want. It worked for me.

I'm still trying to find my sweet spot but think I am there or just about there, another quater to half cc should do it. I'm averaging about 10 lbs a month while in bandster hell. My doc has me keep a week long food record to bring to my check ups. They use that as a gage for whether I need a fill or not, gives them a good idea on how much I am eating and how much is will power thats making me lose. I had read on here before and am experiencing it, the more you have to lose the faster you lose weight initially. Now I did have to have a slight unfill last month. I was so tight I could only eat mushies while pushing it down with Water. I lost 1 1/2 lbs in 5 days. Let me tell you I wished I could tolerate it that tight, but I was too uncomfortable all the time. But I sure loved that weight loss!!

I had hoped I was one of the lucky ones that felt restriction with no fill. I did eat signifigantly less than before surgery, and did lose weight. But it was more like being on a diet than having the band, if that makes any sense.