Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP! Cant make up my mind

I need some help I can't make up my mind if I want to go with the lap band or gastric. I'm 5'2" and weigh in at about 240. I also have diabetes (insulin), high blood pressure and u name it can someone help me make up my mind

Probably not a good idea for someone to persuade you BUT I had high blood pressure, Type 2 Diabetes (oral meds but not insulin) and high cholesterol. Now? No meds at all. Even if you are on insulin, you will likely discover that you need less and less -- and if you aren't actually Type 1, you may be able to get off insulin completely.

I can tell you that I would have fallen off the wagon months ago and regained every pound I've lost. That's just the way it always worked. But here I am ... down so much and while I haven't been losing fast lately, losing a pound a week is 100 times better than gaining a pound a week!

I need some help I can't make up my mind if I want to go with the LAP-BAND® or gastric. I'm 5'2" and weigh in at about 240. I also have diabetes (insulin), high blood pressure and u name it can someone help me make up my mind

I recommend you first research and understand both methods of WLS completely before arriving at your decision as they are both very different.

Lapband is a restrictive procedure and is much less invasive then GBP. Gastric bp re-routes your small intestine. You lose weight through mal-absorption.

You really need to decide which factor you need to lose weight.:rolleyes:

Keep researching to figure out what procedure will be best for you. I am 5'2 and was 280...I have lost about 127 lbs...and still losing. Good luck!

It really depends on what's important to you.

I chose Lap-Band because I didn't want to suffer from Vitamin deficiencies. I didn't want to lose my hair or nails. Vain, but my health is very important to me. It was also vital that ultimately, the Band is reversible. It can be undone if I realized I had made a mistake, unlike Gastric. You can't undo Gastric. I also liked that it was adjustable. It seemed like the obvious choice to me...

But that's me. You might have different preferences, needs, etc. IMHO, since you're 5'2" and 240 pounds it sounds like Gastric would be a little extreme.

Good luck on finding the perfect procedure for you!

This is a big decision and can really only be made by you. I will tell you that my Aunt had BP 2 months before I had Lapband. Comparing her to me...Every day I make hard food decisions. The work and committment I put in to the Lapband will result on the scale. BP is very different. It has many other challenges, but my Aunt is already eating junk food and not working out at all and she is down 55 pounds. In my opinion, my aunt would have never been successful with Lapband.

Bottom line if you don't think you can put in the work necessary to be successful with lapband, then you might be a candidate for BP. Just my opinion.

my friend had gbp lost 95# in 5 months. for her, she didn't want to deal with fills and didn't want a foreign object in her and had a big problem with sweets, not Portion Control.

I have the band, i ate healthy usually but too much. I wanted to lose the weight slowly to avoid the sags, I didn't like the idea of rerouting the digestive system and didn't want a more invasive surgery.

you have to do whats right for you. good luck.:smile: Barb