Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who else here is in research mode?

I know I am! And I *think* some of you are too. Maybe we can keep this thread going and share info, answers we get, local resources, etc.? Online support is one thing but it's a little "closer to home" when people are... well, closer to home. :(

I'm in the northeast area of Kansas City, about halfway between Worlds of Fun and KCI... very close to Liberty. Where are you guys at?

Guest Tammy05

Yes, This is my first post, so I hope this works! My name is Tammy, and I live near KC, MO. I am reading everything I can to learn as much as possible about the band. I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. One day I'm all for it, the next day I'm not so sure. I know I don’t want to live the rest of my life fat. I know losing weight is a very unattainable task for me, and I know I’m so tired of trying and having so much of my life focused on trying to lose weight, and constantly failing. The band seems like my only hope. But the thought of surgery is starting to scare me. To be honest the thought of not being able to eat what I want and when I want it also scares me. I don’t know if I can eat slow, and chew chew chew. I scarf my food, especially when I’m hungry. I can’t get the food in my stomach fast enough. I’m also scared of the thought of having to deal with a band inside me for the rest of my life (even though I know the band is removable.) I’m also afraid that the band won’t work for me. I’ll go through all of this and it will all be for nothing. I know I’m the only one who can decide to do this. But I don’t know what to do. I am currently waiting for insurance approval. I’m 38 5’1 and 229 lbs My bmi is 43.3.

Hi Tammy! I just found this site a few days ago. I've only found one other site that's pretty inactive, still looking for more. I have 2 biggest concerns: #1 the whole general anesthesia thing... except for T&A when I was 2, I've never had surgery. I'm mildly needle-phobic, and hate hospital environments. Concern #2: PBing! I have SUCH a strong aversion to food going the wrong way - I fight it and fight it. But what I've been asking myself off and on during the last 4 years that I've been thinking about this -- aren't those relatively small proces to pay considering what I could get out of it? I think so!

I have read sooo much info about WLS and the lapband ...... I know I want the lapband for sure. I, like you, have mixed emotions about it on different days. This surgery is life changing!!! We will never be able to eat the way we did before. Pne of my GREATEST fears is PBing ..... it scares me to death.

I live close to St. Joseph, MO. I have a daughter that lives in Gladstone .... which is very close to Libery. Her boyfriend lives in Liberty.

Ihave attended several seminars w/ different doctors. I am going with a doc from Topeka, KS. I just started going to a LapBand support group in St. Joseph, MO. It was great just hearing peole share their stories ....... good and bad!! The group is small ... but that's okay. I felt like we could talk more that way. I am sure that it will grow as time goes.

Have you all set a date yet?

Sherri

I haven't set a date. I did start on my paperwork yesterday, and made calls to start gething medical records. I still haven't made up my mind "officially", though I'm probably 85 - 90% there. I figure it's better to start and be ready to go if I make the decision to... otherwise I wait and wait, and then if I decide to, I have to even longer.

Where in St. Joseph are the support group meetings? Heartland? My parents live in St. Joseph and we're there visiting at least twice a month. I also went to highschool there for two years, and got my undergraduate degree from MWSC. (MWSU...whatever) :)

I will have to be self pay for my insurance will not cover WLS for ANY reason.

The meetings are held at the East Hill Library on Woodbine. Heartland would not have the meetings there .... they do not even support WLS at all. Mu friend who is have the lapband has worked at Heartland for 23 years and their insurance will not even cover WLS - at all!! So much for a hospital looking at the welfare of thier employees health.

Are you from St. Joseph? I have lived here my whole life ... 44 years!! What do your parents do?

No, I'm from California. I lived in St. Joseph for about 6 years but my mother grew up there. My parents are both state employees. My mother works in Family Services downtown and my father is a manager at the prison on Frederick. I was never very impressed with Heartland. I have several other family members in St. Joseph, and a handful of them are nurses with Heartland. I called them the other day to get my medical records - about $20 just to retrieve the file, and $1 or $3 for each page. For *my own* records. It's not a huge amount of money, but it's the principle... they're *my* records, right? Jeez.

We were foster parents for MANY years ..... we even adopted 3 kiddos though the state 2 1/2 years ago. Does your mother work in that area at all ........... I do know quit a few DFS workers .... that would be wierd if I know your mother. My hubby also works for the state ... MO DOT. My real name is my user name.

That is crazy that they are charging you so much for your records. i have heard that if your doctor would request them then there is no charge to you. Will your insurance pay for your WLS?

This is another one of my favorite sites: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/LapBand/posts.html

if you have not already checked it out, go do it.

Have you decided on a doctor yet? Gone to any seminars?

Ihve read soooo much info on WLS and have read so many posts on different support groups. I really like the online support groups ..... you learn so much there. Those people have done this and know what they are talking about.

Sherri

I'm 29, graduated from Central a year early but I only attended 3 years there, my freshman year was in CA. I'm really not sure what area my mother works in now. I know - bad daughter. She was with the child support enforcement department in Savannah for a while, and just recently moved back downtown... she used to do the same thing before the office moved to Savannah, but she switched departments when she moved back. I think she determines eligibility for welfare programs. Something like that.

I have been to one seminar, and am pretty much decided on that doctor - Dr. Hoehn. A really good friend from work (my "second" mom) had RNY about a year and a half ago and strongly recommended him. I trust her 100%, so I went to his information night this month and was very impressed. They have a strong comprehensive program, not just a surgeon. Two surgeons are present in every procedure - I like that, too. They have an outstanding track record. He looks to be in his mid-upper thirties. A lot of reviews I've read are put off by that, but I welcome a younger doctor.

Chances are that my insurance will cover it 100%, even fills, but I don't know for sure yet. I have United Healthcare EPO and Dr. Hoehn's staff, as well as several people online, have told me that UHC is one of the top two ir three companies when it comes to covering WLS costs. I know they don't specifically exclude bariatric procedures.

I'm going to see if my PCP has any openings this week, and if so I will probably go in for my physical. I hope to have the paperwork parts done in the next few weeks, and look into a preliminary (still debating) date after the first of the year.

We *definitely* share the PB thing! My husband asked me tonight what my greatest fear(s) were, I came up with 2:

1) PBing. I am a ONE WAY gal when it comes to food. When I'm nauseous, I fight it like you wouldn't believe. I think I've actually irped twice in... oh, 20 - 25 years. So the aversion therapy aspect will be STRONG with me. :)

2) The whole surgical experience. I had T&A out when I was 2 y/o, and other than that no surgeries at all. Plenty of local anesthesia - stitches, having bones set, etc, but never an IV, never general anesthesia.

Did I miss any questions? :D

No, you're not a bad girl for not knowing what department your mother works in. My daughter had a child support case worker in Savannah when she lived w/ us ..... the caseworker's name was Marilyn.

There are two surgeons in WLS where I am going to have my lapband done. I, like you, find that I find comfront in that. Two surgeons are better than one. I have had other surgerys before, so I'm really not to freaked about being out under. I really seem to get VERY nervous before I have surgery ..... to the point where I make myself sick and I start shaking. last time they did give me something to calm me down when I came in ...... that did help.

Sometimes it does overwelm me to think that this is a life changing surgery ..... we will never be able to eat again like we have. The thought of chewing my food until it is almost liquid is a very hard concept for me. I know I MUST do that chewing tho .......... otherwise something can get stuck ..... which I sure don't wnt happening.

You are VERY lucky that your insurance will pay for your WLS. I wish mine would. With my self pay price to my doctor that does include 1 year followup w/ fills!! (Praise God!!)

What made you decide on the band over the RNY?

What made you decide on the band over the RNY?
Several factors, but two main ones.

1. We want kids, but don't have them yet. I decided a few years ago I wouldn't get pregnant until some of the weight was gone, permanently -- too much added risk and potential for complications. I know people have carried babies with RNY but it's not advisable and I wouldn't want to risk any consequences from malabsorption with an unborn baby.

1 1/2. No cutting or removing of organs. I really like the idea that if something goes very wrong, it can likely be fixed. I know people with lap and with RNY, who have had serious complications, and the lap was by far the easiest to fix.

2. Peace of mind. It's very important to have my family's support going into this. I know they'd support me no matter what, but they're also strongly in favor of the no cutting/rerouting option. DH says that if I was considering anything else, he'd have to put his foot down. :(

How about you?

I am doing the band for the very same reasons you are ........ wll, except #1! :() I already have 5 children (ages 27, 22, 9, 7 & 7 .......... we adopted the last 3) so I really don't want anymore ..... plus, I am 44 so I think I am really to old for that!! :()

With the RNY ......... they re-route your whole inside ....... just don't think I could do that to myself. Plus, there such are a whole lot more chance of something happening w/ this surgery. I feel very strongly that the band is the right choice for me. My husband, like yours, would not be going along w/ this WLS if it wasn't the band. I have 3 very small children that I need to be around for, so I just can't rish it by having the RNY. Now, I have to be honest tho, the fast weight lose w/ the RNY sounds very nice to me as compared to the slower weight lose as the band ........ but I still just can't do the RNY. I feel like I am making the right choice for me and for my family.

I chose the lap band, finally, after I found my insurance wouldn't pay for any WLS. I have all my pre op appts set. The surgeon appt is 11/22, and I'm sure the surgery won't be long after. I have up and down days thinking about the life change, but I always end the thoughts with the fact that food is what imprisons me, and messing with my quality of life. The benefits will far outweigh the loss of food. i just wish I could get it done today. The waiting is the hard part!

SherriWittler - What is the schedule for meetings at the STJ library?