Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stretched/dilated pouch

If I've missed this being answered someplace else, please forgive me! I've tried to search for the subject first before posting.

I'm one of those who have stretched the pouch. Not once, but twice. The second time, being almost a slip and blockage, my doctor opted to remove the band and put a new one in. I know that once you stretch the pouch, it's easier to do it again. I waited 4 months before getting a fill, then after 2 weeks had it removed because the weather changed and I started having the tightness/problems that I get when the barometric pressure changes! I have not had another refill yet, and will probably wait until after the holidays, for financial reasons.

But this is my question: Yes -- I know it's easy to stretch the pouch after having done it, but when that stretch happens and the fibers in the top portion of the pouch are stretched (the ones that tell you you're full and don't have much of an appetite anymore), can they go back to normal? In other words, am I fighting a losing battle because I've stretched the pouch before? Will I never be able to get to that sweet spot again?

Anyone with any experience in this, if you could offer me some insight, I'd appreciate it! I feel so discouraged and just wonder if it's hopeless at this point, or do I still have a chance at success?:rolleyes:

I've really never got this question answered myself. How do you know if you stretched your pouch??

I had a dilated pouch and had it repaired last Friday. My symptoms were horrible reflux, heartburn even with heartburn meds, and I couldn't keep any solids down. That went on for months. I got three unfills during that time; they took out everything, and the problems were not solved.

I asked my surgeon if I would be prone to get dilated again and he said it was rather rare. I hope he is right because my insurance would not pay for my revision since I was self-pay for my first band.

Other than soreness from the surgery, I am feeling much better. No acid taste or reflux. My surgeon said that it was having the band too tight and throwing up too much that caused the dilation. He fixed my hiatal (sp?) hernia, and put in a new band above the dilated part on my stomach.

I have the same problem. Dialated this time last year and again a month ago. I can't afford a revision. Is this it for my pouch?