Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Questions

Is the band more like a diet aid.

i've been researching this thing for a year and it just kind of "lightbulbed" in my head.

It facilitates diets right?

you still have to eat right, you still have to count your calories, but it gives you that added edge. instead of fighting the urge to eat bc you are famished, you feel full faster. So i still can't have those cheese puffs and hamburger but now I can have a slice of pizza and not go reaching for another.

Or am I all mixed up?

Tropicana,

You are on the right track. The band will not work by itself and is designed to give you the edge that you mention.

You have to resign yourself to self control and choosing to work with your band instead of around it or against it.

The upper part of your stomach has sensors that tell your head that you are full.....until the food in your regular stomach reaches that level - you don't feel full - most people with weight issues have a larger stomach from overeating and thus it takes more to fill up the stomach to feel full.

The band allows your food to stay in the upper portion of your stomach after you eat while it is digesting to get through the smaller stomach opening created by the band and you feel full - allowing you to have the edge that helps you to eat less.

Following the band rules is very important as drinking liquids will push the food through the opening faster.

You must chew your food and eat tiny bites.

Basically, every time I ever tried to diet - I would do good and all with the diet but it never works and stays working. I never had the edge that I have now with the band. I used to wish I could have something so I would not be able to overeat. That's what the band is.

I truly believe without my own determination - the band is useless and a detriment to me. Please remember that when deciding - you must work with the band....not against it. Without my diet concious mind - this would not work.

Face it - anyone can drink too many calories or eat too many soft things that they can get down - to outeat the band......but I have plans and this fat "me" isn't part of them.

Good Luck.

Actually I think you'd have to try really hard to overeat soft food. I'm on mushies and frankly there is only so much I can eat with my band. You could easily drink milkshakes all day though so you do have to work with your band.

Yes, I would agree that it is more like a "diet" facilitator that gives you the extra edge. It is MUCH better to think about it like that than to think it is a cure for things. Many times people get the band and think the pounds should melt off and don't understand it takes a lot of work and exercise.

I think your taking a great thought approach towards the band.

Good luck with your researching!!