Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To fill or not to fill - that is the question

I posted this on the "fill" thread, but only got one response, so I thought I should post it on here too JIC.

Hello fellow bandsters

I am trying to decide if I should get another fill or not. I have only had one fill so far, so I know I will need another fill eventually, but not sure if I should get one now or not. I was losing weight at around 2 pounds per week for my first 6 weeks, but two weeks ago I gained one pound, and this past week I plateaud. So, from first observation I would say I need another fill. However, since my fill on Nov 1st, I have had a few more "stuck" incidents - one of which lead to me having to through-up. I'm worried if I get a fill, I will just have more food stuck (and more pain, and the possibility of stretching my pouch or oesophagus, or some other problem). But, I'm not losing any weight and feel hungry after only just 2 hours after eating.

The thing is, I know that the reason I have been getting food stuck the past few weeks is because I haven't been chewing as well as when I first got banded (still chewing, but probably not as good as I should be). So, really, if I get back to chewing the way I should be, then I don't think I will have any more food problems even with a fill. So, my question really is, should I get a fill now and work on the chewing part at the same time, OR, should I work on the chewing part first, and then get a fill later? I'm afraid that if I don't get a fill soon, I will get discouraged - as I haven't even been banded for 2 months yet!

I know for sure some of you have gone through this, so please, wise-ones, give me your advice!! Thanks so much! Cheers~

My doc is leaving it up to me to decide when I need a fill. According to him, if I'm having problems with controlling how much I eat, and I feel hungry, get a fill.

Its been three months for me.I have yet to get any fillings.Now I feel my hunger has grown.Could be since I have increased my cardio.I honestly have been really good with the food that I eat.I figured if I take it easy on normal days .I can really enjoy food when there is party or during outtting.I use Cereal for Snacks during day and late nights.I guess I should get atleast one fill done.I do have some days when food gets stuck,I guess I need to slow down and chew througly.I stay away from white bread and red meat.< /p>

Don't get discouraged already! :confused: If I were you, before getting another fill I would really focus on chewing, eating enough protien, and working out. Sounds simple I know, but it works:) Getting another fill without working on chewing properly sounds like all kinds of problems waiting to happen. Good luck!

Thank you all so much for your advice. I only weigh myself once a week, and did so this morning. I again haven't lost any weight. So, I think I need a fill - and plan on getting one soon (will be calling my doc this week to make an appointment for next week). In the mean time, I'm going to work on my chewing and making sure I am eating the right foods all day (When I first got banded, I kept a food journal and ensured I ate the right foods - but haven't been doing that lately). I have been going to the gym three times a week and getting a good hour and a half long work-outs, but don't get my 30 minutes in everyday (maybe 5/7 days). You're right mellabella, it really is pretty simple - thank you for grounding me again. I just need to go back to the basics. I guess my brain's just so used to the way I ate for so many years, that it's not quite sure what to think about having a band. Slowly, but surely! One day at a time, right?

Cheers!

You seem to be doing great, getting back to tracking food is the best thing. I too need to write it all down and get to the gym for weight loss to contune. It is easy to pick and things that are not good go down easy. I had my surgery in May, down 40/lbs which is slower than it should be but I have not been as strict as I should be untill recently. I had fills quickly due to insurance, have been thinking of another but when than I have a sliming and know that it is tight enough. My Band did not seem to like that thanksgiving Turkey!