Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To fill or not to fill - that is the question

Hello fellow bandsters

I am trying to decide if I should get another fill or not. I have only had one fill so far, so I know I will need another fill eventually, but not sure if I should get one now or not. I was losing weight at around 2 pounds per week for my first 6 weeks, but two weeks ago I gained one pound, and this past week I plateaud. So, from first observation I would say I need another fill. However, since my fill on Nov 1st, I have had a few more "stuck" incidents - one of which lead to me having to through-up. I'm worried if I get a fill, I will just have more food stuck (and more pain, and the possibility of stretching my pouch or oesophagus, or some other problem). But, I'm not losing any weight and feel hungry after only just 2 hours after eating.

The thing is, I know that the reason I have been getting food stuck the past few weeks is because I haven't been chewing as well as when I first got banded (still chewing, but probably not as good as I should be). So, really, if I get back to chewing the way I should be, then I don't think I will have any more food problems even with a fill. So, my question really is, should I get a fill now and work on the chewing part at the same time, OR, should I work on the chewing part first, and then get a fill later? I'm afraid that if I don't get a fill soon, I will get discouraged - as I haven't even been banded for 2 months yet!

I know for sure some of you have gone through this, so please, wise-ones, give me your advice!! Thanks so much! Cheers~

I think you should get the fill and then take smaller bites and chew slower. You obviously need the fill and you seem to have correctly identified that your problems are "operator error".

I agree with elcee.

I think you should get another fill.

After my first fill I had restriction for awhile and then was feeling hungry too soon between meals. The second fill helped that situation a great deal. You should be able to go at least 4 hours between meals not feeling too hungry. It does take some training to learn how to eat slow and chew every bite so you don't feel pain while eating.

Remember not to jump directly to solids after this next fill. Start out with liquids the first day and very slowly work yourself to soft foods then solid.

I agree with Elcee and Humming Bird. Practice the smaller bites and quantities, it will serve you well in the future. And get a fill. You didn't mention exercise, are you exercising like walking?

Mimi

Hi Timmers,

You sound just like I did a little bit ago. I actually just got my third fill, which has so far been the hardest for me. One biggest advice is please don't wait, go every six weeks to see your surgeon. I waited two months and it was a big mistake. I was pretty much able to eat most foods and was hungry again like you explained. When you do this you are risking stretching out your pouch and also gaining weight. I gained 8 pounds by waiting! My surgeon was so sweet to me luckily and explained the importance of coming in. (The reason I didn't was because I was ashamed of my weight gain and the longer you wait the harder it is to go). But I wasn't doing anything wrong except not get my fill. As for the sticking, it all has to do with your bites and how well you chew. Little bites, slow eating, and lots of chewing is key, especially when you get this next fill, which can be tuff. If you are nervous ask your surgeon to only bump you up a .5 CC but if you really want to see results get the full 1 CC. But I would be lying if I told you you won't get things stuck, it is part of the band. Remember though that if it gets to be too much they always can adjust the band to a comfortable tightness. The first few adjustments are all about finding your sweet spot. But since my last fill I have lost 12 pounds, if only I got it sooner! haha so good luck and let me know how it goes!

Julia

It's been 7 weeks since I had my first fill. I'm noticing now that I''m eating more than a cup of food. I can finish a whole lean cuisine. After I eat that, I'm looking to eat a little sugar free fruit cocktail. I'm also noticing I haven't lost 1 to 2 lbs per week. That could also be because I haven't been exercising on a steady basis because of a very bad back situation. However, bad back or not I still could be in the pool doing something!

Anyway, I think I should go in for another fill. Would I have to keep doing this??