Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Potentially being banded in Dec.11!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone!!!!! New to this so please bear with me. I've been given a date of Dec 11, so I am nervous. I was researching for about 6 months, then the doctor had an opening and I said yes. I don't even know if i can lose the ten pounds pre op that he asked me to do, so I'm wondering if I'm setting myself up for failure. Exercise has been difficult, and I'm already wondering what bandster hell is gonna do to me. If anybody has felt this I'd really be greatful to hear your story. Thank you!!!!:Yawn:

Hi everyone!!!!! New to this so please bear with me. I've been given a date of Dec 11, so I am nervous. I was researching for about 6 months, then the doctor had an opening and I said yes. I don't even know if i can lose the ten pounds pre op that he asked me to do, so I'm wondering if I'm setting myself up for failure. Exercise has been difficult, and I'm already wondering what bandster hell is gonna do to me. If anybody has felt this I'd really be greatful to hear your story. Thank you!!!!:sad:

Every thing that you are feeling is normal. We all go through the "What if" syndrome before we are banded. Did your doctor put you on a pre-op diet before your surgery? If so then you will probably have no problem losing the 10 lbs. Is it set in stone that if you DON'T lose the 10 lbs before surgery that you will be denied? Either way just think of it this way. This is your road to recovery. Recovery from all of the bad habits and things that we have learned over the years to make us over weight and unhealthy. It takes time to learn the motivational skills that you will need to succeed. This is not a diet, this is a life style change. And it's not going to be easy either. It's not a get skinny quick and eat whatever you want type of deal. What it is, is a tool to help you lose the weight and keep it off. If you follow the plan that the doctor gives you then you should be very successful in your journey through weightloss land. The most successful ones are the ones that follow the plan. The only thing that you have to give up on is bad habits. You don't have to give up on life. You can still have many of the things that you have had in the past, just in moderation.

"Banders Hell" doesn't hit everyone. I think I am one of the lucky ones because I don't have my first fill until Dec. 3, and I'm really not that hungry inbetween meals. As I said if you follow the plan and work with your doctors Bander Hell for you could be as easy as me. Or it could be very difficult, sorry to say. Just make sure that you get your Protein in which will help with the hunger. And drink your fluids. Also you need to start this now. Listen to your stomach and be aware of when you are full, not over stuffed. This will help you in the long run. You will need to know the difference between 'head hunger' and real hunger. Head hunger is the one where you aren't really hungry but you eat the food just because it's there.

Most important thing is TAKE THINGS ONE DAY AT A TIME. If you start looking to far ahead you WILL set yourself up for failure. Listen to your body. It will tell you when it's hungry. It will tell you when you need to stop exercising because it's tired and it will tell you when it's thirsty.

Before my surgery on Oct. 23, 2009 I had no motivation at all. I was a grazer and would eat anything that didn't have legs to run away. Thank God my dog wasn't chocolate (just kidding). I hardly ever exercised. I am now 5 weeks into it and I'm not hungry most of the time. I did have Thanksgiving yesterday and DID have pumpkin pie, turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, vegetables and a glass of red wine (an hour after dinner). I didn't eat as much as I normally would have but I did eat and I lost another 2 pounds this week. Everyday is a learning process for me. I try and exercise at least 3-4 times a week for 30 minutes. Whether it be walking, playing on my Wii Fit, exercising from the TV or walking on the tread mill or life cycle for 30 minutes. I also have the support of my family and friends. Which helps a great deal. I've lost 34lbs since surgery. 44 all together with the pre-op diet. My highest weight was 305lbs. Today I am 261lbs. And I'm actually starting to get my self confidence back again. I feel great!!

So now I say, if I can do it. So can you. Congratulations to you and good luck on your journey. We will save you a seat on the losers bench. :Yawn:

Astrasmom

Thank you so much for your response. I was actually stunned and my eyes were actually tearing knowing that a complete stranger took the time to show such kindness. Thank you.

Now, as far as my particulars, the loss of the 10 pounds is not obligatory but something the doctor would like to see done. I have never been able to sustain weight loss, so I am filled with self doubt. My doctor gave me this prediet that included a lot of Protein shakes, and they just don't look all that appetizing to me.LOL I am cognizant that this will have to be a lifestyle change, I just don't know if I'll be able to fight off the hunger pangs, which is always been my downfall.

I appreciate all the kind words and for sharing your experience and thoughts with me. I feel a little better , a little less nervous, and a little more knowledgeable about what to expect, especially knowing that what I'm feeling is what many others have felt as they were approaching this step. I will incorporate the drinking of the fluids immediately and incorporate exercise and the new lifestyle.

Best to you always.

Astrasmom

Thank you so much for your response. I was actually stunned and my eyes were actually tearing knowing that a complete stranger took the time to show such kindness. Thank you.

Now, as far as my particulars, the loss of the 10 pounds is not obligatory but something the doctor would like to see done. I have never been able to sustain weight loss, so I am filled with self doubt. My doctor gave me this prediet that included a lot of Protein shakes, and they just don't look all that appetizing to me.LOL I am cognizant that this will have to be a lifestyle change, I just don't know if I'll be able to fight off the hunger pangs, which is always been my downfall.

I appreciate all the kind words and for sharing your experience and thoughts with me. I feel a little better , a little less nervous, and a little more knowledgeable about what to expect, especially knowing that what I'm feeling is what many others have felt as they were approaching this step. I will incorporate the drinking of the fluids immediately and incorporate exercise and the new lifestyle.

Best to you always.

You are very welcome. By the way there are all kinds of Protein drinks out there. If you don't like the one that you are with now, try something else. I use the Elite whey Protein (Mocha and Vanilla) I also use powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup flavor. Keep in mind you will be using the Protein powder even after you have your surgery so I recommend (if you can afford it of course) a variety. Get 1 or 2 different kinds so you don't get bored of it.

You will find that after you have your surgery it will be a little easier to resist temptation. It doesn't happen over night and you will still have to work at it.

Best of luck to you. If you have any question along the way, don't hesitate to ask.