Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

eating problems today

O.k. today was day 14 post op and I really haven't had many problems. I have a surgeon who moves you along extremely fast. liquids for 2 days, mushies for 1 and then solids as tolerated. From what I have read most surgeons don't do that. Everything has gone well, but today both Breakfast and lunch did not go down well. Both time were things I had eaten before, but they felt like they got stuck and I really had to try and not throw up. Any insight?

I understand there is room for variation, and we all heal at different rates, but he's moving you through the food stages much faster than most doctors as you've noted. I always try to follow my doctor's recommendations to the letter, but I would be concerned about your doctor's diet regimen. He's not following the guidelines set by lap band, for one thing. Personally, I would stick to soft foods/mushies for the next week or two.

http://www.lapband.com/life_after_surgery/life_after_surgery/first_few_weeks_after_surgery/

WOW! I went home on Mushies and I thought that was fast. Stick w/ mushies for a while. I was on for 5 weeks and still have a lot of soft stuff since my first fill makes it tough for food to go down. The only solids I have had are green Beans and dark meat chicken w/ lots of gravy.:ohmy:

it's also possible that your surgeon may have prefilled the band. If this is the case it will make it harder for food to go down. So be really carefull and listen to your body as well as your surgeon. if your body is telling you that it can't handle normal foods right now then stick to mushy/soft stuff.

i was banded oct 28 and my post op diet was the same way. i was back to normal and eating normal food quickly. i didnt have no complications at all.

I'm 3 weeks post op and I've been eating solid foods for about a week now...salads, rice, chicken, fish, broccoli, bread, etc.

Chew well...and I mean chew it to mush in your mouth. Most people chew their food 3 or 4 times...maybe...before gulping it down. Take a bite of food...put your fork down...and chew. Take small bites. If it's too hard to remember, get yourself a set of silverware designed for toddlers.

Listen to your body. Some foods go down without notice. Others seem to cause a bit of pressure in my chest (normal since the pouch sits roughly behind the breast bone). I just sit and wait for it to pass. Some I'm learning to avoid...like Pasta. For some reason, no matter how much I chew, that one goes down hard so it's not worth it.

I go for my first fill next week. It'll be interesting to see what else becomes 'not worth it'.

Give yourself time. Eat what *you* are comfortable eating. Even if your doc says you can eat regular food, it doesn't mean you *have* to. If you're having problems, just ease into it more slowly.

My biggest concern with eating solids this soon after surgery is if you do vomit it may tear your stitches and cause your band to slip.

I always advise people to follow their surgeons guidelines but this one makes me a little nervous. Be very careful what you eat, take very small bites (nibble) and chew, chew, chew.

Since your surgeon did say solids as tolerated, and since it is so soon after your surgery, I would say you're not tolerating those solids well, and go back to mushies. I know it can be hard to stick to liquids and mushies, but this is the time to err on the side of caution. Call your surgeons office or talk to him/her at your next followup.