Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

question about fills

I was wondering why it is that when you get a fill it may be really snug and then sometime in the future you may need another fill? Does your upper stomach stretch or does your body just adjust? I got a fill yesterday of 1.4cc and I'm so snug I'm doing good to sip liquids today and only small sips at that. I'm wondering if in a few weeks I'll stretch enough so that I can eat or am I going to have to have some cc's taken out? I was just banded 7/29/05 so I'm new at all this! I did have one fill by a different doctor about 3 weeks ago but I didn't think he did it correctly because I had absolutely no restriction.

Liz, during your second fill, did the doc take out all of the first fill you got, before he/she put 1.4cc in? How much came out?

Here's some feedback from me...sometimes the first fill doesn't work at all and you need another, or another! to start feeling the restriction. The size of your band also plays a role. Folks with the VG Band tend to need more fills, not always, but usually.

You will know if this fill is too tight if you get any reflux symptoms or if you are not able to eat small quantities of regular food after a few days of liquids...moving to mushies, slowly working in the real foods. Be very careful of PBing as that causes swelling and then you are really in need of a small unfill.

When you get filled, some folks experience a bit of swelling in the stoma from the "squishing". After a few days, and eating carefully, it usually goes down and you are able to feel your new level of restriction.

As for needing another fill in the future, when you lose weight, you lose it from the inside, too. You have less fat surrounding your internal organs (whew!) including your stomach. The fat goes down, the tightness of the band descreases, but you can bump it up again as you lose.

It's not a matter of stretching the pouch...you shouldn't do that!...and you can't, really, eating small quantities of liquid/soft mushy foods. It's a matter of losing enough internal fat that the fill loosens.

If you go another few days and are still only able to take small sips of liquids, you may be in line for a small unfill. Keep posting and getting feedback. Too tight is not good and it's miserable! Keep sipping, see if the swelling goes down and you open up a bit. Good luck!

Thanks for the input! As I understand the doc totally filled the band up first so I could see what that felt like and then took some out and had me sip Water to see what they felt like. So I don't know what happened to the 1 cc I supposedly had the first time elsewhere. And it was an unpleasant visit, if you've read any of my other posts - I was banded in Mexico also and this doc had a very bad attitude towards Mexican banded patients. So I was out of there in a hurry and didn't think to ask if there was any in the band already!

I just got my third fill. My doctor doesn't do a lot at a time. After the fill I feel very restricted as you mentioned. Then it is so strange, because about three weeks goes by and all of a suddent I realize I could eat more if I tried. Time for another fill! I am losing rapidly right now, so the fat around my stomach is shrinking, and that is the reason the band feels loose. It's a good thing!

When I am really tight after a fill, I have found that drinking hot tea before eating helps a lot.

Best of luck!

Deby

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Theweightisover2024🙌💪

Question for anyone, how did you get your mind right before surgery? Like as far as eating better foods and just doing better in general? I'm having a really hard time with this. Any help is appreciated 🙏❤️
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

I had about 6 months between deciding to do surgery and getting scheduled. I came across the book The Pound of Cure by Dr. Matthew Weiner, a bariatric surgeon in Arizona, and started to implement some of the changes he recommended (and lost 13 lbs in the process without ever feeling deprived). The book is very simple, and the focus is on whole, plant based foods, but within reason. It's not an all or nothing approach, or going vegan or something, but focuses on improvement and aiming for getting it right 80-90% of the time. His suggestions are divided into 12 sections that you can tackle over time, perhaps one per month for a year if a person is just trying to improve nutrition and build good habits. They range from things like cutting out artificial sweetener or eating more beans to eating a pound of vegetables per day. I found it really effective pre-surgery and it's an eating style I will be working to get back to as I am further out from surgery and have more capacity. Small changes you can sustain will do the most for building good habits for life.

2. Theweightisover2024🙌💪

That sounds awesome. I'll have to check that out thanks!

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches