Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Explaining this to a four year old?

Hi all,

Preparing for my November 30th surgery, I've already had to explain "being on a diet" to my four year old. I don't plan on having him come to the hospital but clearly he will know something is up when I'm away overnight and recovering at home. As I craft my explanations to him, just wondering if anyone else that's been through this or is also gearing up has suggestions regarding how they've handled it with young kids.

Thanks!

Hi:

Simple is best. Why not "I'm having my tummy fixed so that I can be more healthy."

Best wishes to you.

I love my band and my new flat tummy.

Sue

I hear you! My son is 4 1/2 and last month his Daddy got banded and this Wednesday his Mommy will be gettting banded. With my husband we told him that Daddy was getting his tummy fixed. It was enough for him, he didnt ask what needed fixing. Recovery was hard for my husband so it was hard on my son too, he was very good and caring of Daddys booboos but was sad about it because he knew his Dad hurt. Now I am worried that I will put him through that worry again. My only hope is that when he is older he wont remember much of this, and will just know that his Mom and Dad are normal, not obese and can run around with him at the park and be happy. I want to be a good example for him and right now I am not being so big.

Hi all,

Preparing for my November 30th surgery, I've already had to explain "being on a diet" to my four year old. I don't plan on having him come to the hospital but clearly he will know something is up when I'm away overnight and recovering at home. As I craft my explanations to him, just wondering if anyone else that's been through this or is also gearing up has suggestions regarding how they've handled it with young kids.

Thanks!

My 6 year old put me on the spot so I had to come up w/an explanation fast. Both my 6 yr old son and 4 yr old daughter were home when I got the news that my surgery had finally been approved by insurance. After working on this all year and having gone through 2 appeals, I could not contain my excitement. I was on the phone calling my DH and friends and dancing around the house. When he asked why I was so excited, I tried to get away with just saying I got some good news, but that sort of vague answer is not gonna fly w/a 6 year old... he wanted to know WHAT the good news was.

So, I asked him if he's ever noticed that I'm bigger than a lot of the other mommies... he kind of gave me a blank look (LOL gotta love children for not noticing these things). So, I said well I weigh a lot more than is healthy and its very hard for me to lose weight. So, I'm going to be having surgery to fix my stomach so I can lose weight and be healthy. Then he said 'that's good' and seemed really happy about it. I think kids take their cue from you so if you are happy and excited explaining it, then your kids will be excited for you. Of course, I do realize now that his teacher and everyone else at his school will probably hear about how I am having surgery to lose weight, but I don't care. I was not planning on trying to keep it a secret anyway.

Also, I had to explain surgery. For me that was easy because I've had surgeries before (two c-sections and my appendix out) so I say it is just like that. Also, my kids asked me what the 'Protein shots' were (these things I bought from costco - 25 grams of Protein in a shot that looks like a test tube). That gave me the chance to explain that right after surgery, my tummy is gonna be sore so those are something I can drink since I won't be able to eat right away.

I should add that my 4 yr old didn't have any questions at all. She just soaked in the explanation I was giving my 6 yr old and seemed happy w/that. Within just a couple minutes, they were asking me for a snack and to put on a TV show for them.

We are also trying to teach our son about things that we keep private. A new thing for a 4 year old and thats another reason we have not mentioned weight loss. We are a private family and are NOT telling anyone other than family. Oh and the vast number of strangers on the internet!

Hi:

Simple is best. Why not "I'm having my tummy fixed so that I can be more healthy."

this is pretty much what i said. my daughter has spina bifida and had her last neurosurgery in late september so "surgery" is not a scary word for us.

but...because she had a long hospital stay and i was home the next day after surgery she did not think that was "fair"! she is also comparing my boo-boos on my tummy to her boo-boos on her back.

she also kind of went off on me last week when i asked her to pick something up for me... she aske me if my inability to bend over would be "forever" --- with the tone and attitude that a 4 year old going on 16 can only pull off.

i have not brought up weight. everything in our house is about being healthy.

We are also trying to teach our son about things that we keep private. A new thing for a 4 year old and thats another reason we have not mentioned weight loss. We are a private family and are NOT telling anyone other than family. Oh and the vast number of strangers on the internet!

LOL the vast number of strangers on the internet! I am cracking up.... those people don't count, they aren't real, they are imaginary friends LOL Good ones but imaginary. And it is cool those imaginary friends totally understand your trials , he he he

Good luck you date is here! Finally!

Isn't it surreal how you can bond with s "stranger" on the Internet? I have had a few experiences meeting people on the Internet. My first was my husband....yes we met on line, but its a true love story we were meant to be. I also met a friend in a chat room once, we had something very personal in common so we emailed forever and did finally meet, to my surprise she was a total Hollywooder! Famous and everything. Now this web site, total strangers in one way but the closest friends in another way. My very best friends whom I have known for over 20 years know nothing about what I am doing this Wednesday but the thousands of people that read my posts here know very private details about me. I really am a very private person, but somehow posting anonymously is great....I have met one banded buddy from this board she has kids my sons age and we live close so we have met at the park a few times, we are strangers but have one very common unique bond. And HappyHome....we still need to meet up for that Protein drink!

LOL the vast number of strangers on the internet! I am cracking up.... those people don't count, they aren't real, they are imaginary friends LOL Good ones but imaginary. And it is cool those imaginary friends totally understand your trials , he he he

Good luck you date is here! Finally!

Isn't it surreal how you can bond with s "stranger" on the Internet? I have had a few experiences meeting people on the Internet. My first was my husband....yes we met on line, but its a true love story we were meant to be. I also met a friend in a chat room once, we had something very personal in common so we emailed forever and did finally meet, to my surprise she was a total Hollywooder! Famous and everything. Now this web site, total strangers in one way but the closest friends in another way. My very best friends whom I have known for over 20 years know nothing about what I am doing this Wednesday but the thousands of people that read my posts here know very private details about me. I really am a very private person, but somehow posting anonymously is great....I have met one banded buddy from this board she has kids my sons age and we live close so we have met at the park a few times, we are strangers but have one very common unique bond. And HappyHome....we still need to meet up for that Protein drink!

Let me know when you feel well enough to run around. !!!!

ya...not running just yet. I have had some super bad gas pain today.....I suppose I just need to get through a few days and it will be better right?

ya...not running just yet. I have had some super bad gas pain today.....I suppose I just need to get through a few days and it will be better right?

Yes it will get better... you are doing well on walking that is great, read your other post. hang in there.