Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

U.S Bariatric, St. Augustine, Flagler Hospital

I am posting this because I had such a hard time gathering info on these doctors. So, if in the future someone wants to know my experience, they can find it.

I went to the seminar, it really peeked my interest, I looked into the Gastric band more by reading the forums, internet searches and attented a support group meeting of another practice in Jax. I was leaning toward U.S Bariatrics because its close proximity to my home, professionalism and most importantly it is a, "Center of Excellence" approved center. I decided to check out one of their support group meetings before making an appointment for a consultation. Here are my feelings based on the 1 meeting. They may change in the future. Upon walking in I was surprised at how many people were there (at least 60!). This was way different from the SG I went to in Jax (I really meant to go to a seminar, but got the support group instead, my fault) there were only about 15 ppl in that one.

The U.S. Bariatric is so large because ALL of their pts, no matter what bariatric surgery they have had, attend the same meeting. I did not really like this. I wanted to talk to someone about the BAND and I was not sure who to talk to. It seems too crowded and the people in front of me were talking to whole time so I could not hear the nutritionist or questions from others some of the time. I feel the pts have different issues and need to discuss things that are more specific to their needs. I will see how it goes in the future.

So, I made my appointment for a consult. I got in rather quickly with no problem. I met with Dr. Koppman. HE IS SO NICE! We went over medical records that I brought. He asked me which procedure I was interested in and my reasons for that particular procedure. I explained that I wanted the band (because less risky, and I don't need to drop weight fast since I have no other health problems at the time) and he felt that was the better choice for me. He sat with me for near 40 minutes explaining the band and answering each question I had. He was very imformative and professional, yet at the same time so friendly I felt I could ask him anything. I felt vvery assured when I left that I had made the right choice. Also, I found out that he went out of the office after talking to me and found my husband outside (watching the kids) and sat and spoke with him for a few minutes. This made my husband really confident with him as a great guy, not just a great doctor. (I had sent my husband to the seminar the night before my appointment so he could hear the info himself and feel comfortable. He had introduced himself to Dr. Koppman that night)

I will continue to post as I go further along in the process for anyone who is considering this practice.

Update - I have finally started the ball rolling and will have a pysc appointment and all of my pre-op testing next week. US Bariatric and the staff have been wonderful. At this point it is my PCP that is the P.I.T.A~! He is not very willing to give me clearance since he does not get a cut of the $$ that I will be paying out of pocket to US Bariatric. He at first said that he was not happy with the surgeons for not calling him and just expecting him to hand out a script saying he feels I will be fine with it. But, then he mentioned how he does not get any of "their great little package deal, yet he has to be a part of it" . He will NOT be my doctor when I am done with this. I will as Dr. Koppman for a good PCP. Perhaps one that is compasionate enough to not tell a patient that "if they would just get up at 5am and go jogging every morning they would lose the weight"! What an A~~! :smile2:

Update for anyone interested in this practice.

So far my experience with U.S Bariatrics has been great. They really help you with each stage. Jenn, the surgery scheduler has been wonderful in taking me through each step. The only thing that I just found out was that I have to have my surgery with Dr. Marema instead of Dr. Koppman. Not that that is bad but I did my consult with Koppman and have planned on him being the surgeon since the seminar. The problem: I am self pay and Dr. Koppman can not provide the 1 year complication insurance. So I have to go with Marema. I really wish they would have mentioned this sooner so I could have had my consult with Marema. I will still have my pre-op appoinment with him. I am so far into at this point there is no turning back. Good thing I know that Dr. Marema is a fine surgeon. PCP appointment next week and then all of the final stuff from bariatrics.

WhoooHoo:thumbup:

So I finally have all of the clearances and am well into my pre-op diet. My PCP was actually MUCH better about it when I went back to him. I don't know if he was having a bad day, If I approached it wrong or what but he was the complete oppisite when I went back. That was good because I actually had to go back again since the first time I was getting over a sinus thing and to my surprisr had a low fever. He cleared me as long as the fever was gone. They could not accept that though. I had to go back and it seemed like my fever would not go away although I feel 100% fine. So, when I showed up to have him try and figure out why my fever would not go away, I no longer had one! Go figure. He adjusted my clearance for me stating that I no longer had a fever. I a couple of days later I went to my pre-op appointment with Dr. Marema and the nurse took my temp. 99.2!!!! I don't get it. Maybe I am just hot headed! I don't know if the doc saw it or not but he continued as planed and said nothing about it. I have been taking my temp here, with 3 different thermometers, and it seems to go in and out. My fear is that I will get into the hospital and all preped and then they take my temp and go, oh sorry, you have a temp! I want to be completely healthy when I have this done but this "low-grade temp" has been off and on for over 3 weeks now! I just don't get it. Maybe that is why I am not a doc!

So how did it go? I am going to be using Dr. Marema as long as my insurance approves me. Was your experience a positive one?

It has been all positive so far. In fact, I even went back a month ago to have Dr. Koppman remove my Gall Bladder. The staff is always nice and ready help with any questions or problems. I am still not at that "sweet spot" for restriction but getting closer. Weight loss has slowed down but I will get there. I am still plugging along though. Best of Luck.

Did you share your story? I'm interested in some of the techniques he uses for the band.

Did you have to stay overnight in the hospital?

Did you have a catheter?

How soon did you get your first fill?

Does he fill aggressively?

Does he staple part of the tummy over the band to prevent slippage?

Did you share your story? I'm interested in some of the techniques he uses for the band.

Did you have to stay overnight in the hospital?

Did you have a catheter?

How soon did you get your first fill?

Does he fill aggressively?

Does he staple part of the tummy over the band to prevent slippage?

Yes. I had an overnight stay. That is one of the reasons I choose his practice. It made me feel more comfortable.

No catheter. (I asked the same question before my surgery)

My first fill was at 4wks. It was 3.5cc then I believe it was 1.5, then 1cc each time until you get close to 7cc then it is .5cc. I went back every 4-6wks for fills.

I believe they stitch the stomach around the band but not staple.

Currently I had to have a complete unfill due to some bile reflux (not band related as far as I know but I think Gall bladder relatd). I am seeing a GI about that now. Being unfilled does not bother me since I think my esophagus is swollen and I am not hungry. I am actually still losing weight because I can barely eat:thumbdown:.

I read on a different thread that you were having issues with bile. What a bummer. :c( I hope you are feeling better soon. Thank you SO much for the replies. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer me!!

I noticed in your tracker that you've lost 70 pounds! Congrats!!!! That's absolutely amazing!

Hey, outside! How is the bile/tummy issue going??? Has a Dr figured it out yet?