Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Some may find the beneficial...

Some may find this beneficial... I attended a monthly support meeting/dinner hosted by my Dr last night. This was a very nice affair w/cooking demonstration by the general practioner in his ofice - the food he prepared was both delicious and healthy.

The benefit... I spoke with both my Dr and the Dietician - bascially complaining (in a nice way) that I hadn't lost an ounce w/n the past 3 weeks. I recently had a fill (last Tuesday), I'm at 6.2ml(cc's) and don't have any restriction. So, I informed my Doc that instead of returning in 8 wks (his normal schedule), I would see him in 4-6 wks. He didn't argue, just said I'll see you then.

Then I spoke with the dietician at length about not feeling restriction and the holding patern I'm currently in. Her suggestion to me was to chew normally, don't chew until the food is mush/liquid... she went on to explain that chewing my food normally would make certain that the food stayed w/n the bad and guarantee that I feel full. She said that chewing as we're all told aids the food in slipping through the pouch and into the stomach - the same premise as slidder foods. This is the first day that I've tried this and so far so good.

I actually feel full (not stuck) and very comfortable. I was also told to increase my Water intake (which I know is one of my problems) I didn't think of it before, but as the dietician explained that we really need to drink water to help flush the Protein through our system.

I'm sure that many of you know all this already; for the few of you like me who didn't - I hope you find this beneficial.

Edited by Cherishthepast
incorrect wording

Thanks for posting this. I find it really helpful. I am 4 weeks out on soft right now and I have no restriction whatsoever. I am taking bigger bites, watching how I'm chewing, but not pulvarizing it to the point where it's like Water without any issues, so I'm glad that's acceptable. My thing is, I guess they're preparing me for post-fill band life? Right now, bread, Pasta, rice, nothing gives me a problem--I can get everything down, never slimed, never got stuck--nothing. I guess this is because there is nothing in my band? Honestly, I can feel the port, but if I didn't know better, I'd swear the doc forgot to put the band in LOL!

Anyway, thanks again for posting this. I too am completely stalled, starving and wanting to see some results again....

That's the advice my doctor and np has given me too. They want me to chew well, but not to the point that my food is a virtual liquid or mushy paste and for the same reason you've stated. To get the maximum benefit from the band, being able to tolerate well chewed food, rather than solid food turned to slider consistency, allows the food to stay in the pouch area longer which leads to greater satiety. It also limits overeating the band as well as being able to lose with a little looser band.

There are really no foods that I can't eat, although I stay away from raw celery because the only time I tried it, it felt stringy in my mouth, and it gave me a gaggy feeling. I'm sure this approach wouldn't work for everyone, but it has worked well for me.

I don't think it matters if I chew 30 times or swallow a bowling ball whole right now. Nothing. come on December 3rd.

I was coming on here to post that I never feel "full"...bordering on stuck, but never full in that good way. :bored: I will try this. Tonight, I am going to my first social gathering since being banded on 10/5. I am already hungry. I hate that feeling and this is NOT head hunger. I will wait and make some of the food at cocktail party my "dinner". Thanks for the info.