Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Affraid To Eat

Hi All,

Sorry I Haven't Been Around For A While. My Husband And I Are Moving - Going To Move In With My Dad. Since My Mom Passed Away He's Been Really Lonely. I Think This Will Be Good For Him. Needless To Say It's Been Hectic.

What I Am Coming Here For Is Some Support. And Thanks In Advance - As Usual You Guys Are Great.

My Prob Is That Since I'm Banded (9/19/05) I Am Affraid To Eat. I Followed The Doc's Instructions To The Tee. 2 Weeks liquid. 2 Weeks Mushies. And Just 2 Days Ago Started Solids. I Won't Dare Deviate. I Know It's Inevitable And Something Will Get Me To Pb Eventually But Why Am I So Affraid? Also I Get Hungry But Only About 2-3 Times A Day And A Small Amounts Of food Does The Trick. I Haven't Had A Fill Yet So How Is Ths Possible? Is It All In My Head? Or Is It Really The Band? I Live In Ny And It's Been Cloudy And Raining For A Couple Of Weeks. Could That Be Contributing Also? I Don't Know. I Go For My First Fill On Nov 1st. That Should Be Interesting. I Am Already Eating Very Little.

I'm Not Complaining, I'm Actually Very Happy. Fear Is Good In This Situation. But Will I Ever Go Out To Eat With Some Friends And Not Be Nervous That "this May Be The Food Or Bite That Does It." I Hear So Many Horro Stories.

O.k. A Little Rambling - Sorry. Just Want To Know If There Are Other "affraid To Eat After The Bandsters."

You sound like most of the rest of us. It's normal to test the waters so to speak. Just take it slow and chew, chew, chew and small bites.

Good luck on your move.

Also, some people start out with really good restriction and don't need a fill for months. You might be one of the lucky ones!

I agree with Vines. My surgeon wouldn't fill me at my six week visit because I was losing steadily and not hungry alot. So you may not get a fill on your next visit. I also feel that you have gone through alot as of late and restriction I think is emotional too. When I get all upset or even a little frustrated now since the band I can't eat alot. It is like what Jack says that "the silicone fist" just starts to make it's presence known. I hear you on being afraid of the PB. Be afraid be VERY afraid. Chew, Chew, Chew believe me I had my first and only one with rice and I almost wished for death, LOL.

Just wanted to make a couple of comments -

it sounds like you have restriction (for whatever reason) and don't need a fill. Yes, I believe that restriction can be weather induced/travel induced/stress induced, etc. I get alot of restriction when its hot. I get some when I travel. Unfortunately, I don't get any when I am stressed.

PBs - I have had my share of them (maybe a half a dozen) and they aren't fun. But I have never had one when I'm out to eat. And I eat out socially at least 3 times a week - sometimes more. I try and be very careful when I'm in public and that helps. I usually have them when I am in a hurry, eating too big of bites, not chewing, or trying to eat something different. When you are out to eat, if something seems like it might be a problem, you can always ask for a side of ranch dressing, ketchup, or something else. I know that last night I ate more tartar sauce than fish but it gave me a way to continue eating and not have problems.

Just take it slow and realize that you are in the journey for the long haul. Don't stress and everything work out in the long run. Good luck. Celeste

I so agree with the weather restriction, when it's hot outside and humid, I'm extremely restricted. It's amazing how many situations can and do affect my band. My band is very sensitive and will cause a pb/slime in a flash.

I know the feeling! I am supposed to start "real food" on Friday and so far I have been too scared to swallow a bite of mushy as heck chicken salad. I just have this gut feeling it won't go down. I don't know how I will eat a piece of chicken!

I felt exactly the same way - you will find out for yourself and start to feel more comfortable. I believe that caution is important and being afraid is not so much a bad thing in this journey....caution and going slow - chewing and chewing will be your friend.

Take care - you will be fine....these feelings are very normal in my experience.

I said the very same thing to my nutritionist. I was afraid to eat. I was banded on July 25, 2005 and just now this past month have been less afraid.

I feel restriction and I don't know if it is mental or just fear. Whatever I feel it and I eat different and think different since surgery.

I so agree with the weather restriction, when it's hot outside and humid, I'm extremely restricted.

I think I need to move to Florida or somewhere humid! That,for sure, will kick start my weight loss!!!! :laugh

Any how, I agree with what everyone else is saying. Along with some of the others, I feel very restricted when I'm upset, crying, or at times, frustrated. I don't know if that is a mental thing for me or if it's just a sick feeling that makes me feel this way.

i use to be always scared to eat. i still kinda am... Its good you dont eat... The pounds are just droping off.. I get hunger pains but i love being thinner.. im 5'7" and i have never been 235 before it sucks walking around with my tummy grumbling but i love the light feeling...

Kim

Good luck with your wieght loss!!!!

it is normal, you still have swelling from healing. Keep doing what you are doing. I just had my first fill last thursday, the week before that fill i could have eaten a full slab of beef. Now i have my first fill, im scared to eat again, i have not PB'd or Slimed at all and i dont want to. I eat only good foods that go down w/o problem. I chew so much my food is like baby food when im done chewing just so i dont have a problem. I eat about the same things daily as they dont cause problems. When you need a fill you will know as you are STARVING but dont want to gain back what you ate so you dring more Water. I have only been out to dinner 3x's, i have a hamburger patty on time, Thai and then a ribeye. the ribeye was the night before my fill, i ate about 3oz and have 8oz in my fridge to eat on for a few days.

keep up the good work.