Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is Sushi a mushie food?

I'm very excited to start mushies on Friday and was craving sushi...the simple kind with about a tablespoon of Japanese rice and a piece of tuna on top. Does this count as 'mushie' food? Does anyone have any experience eating this.....I'm wondering if it's well tolerated or if the rice, in particular, is an issue.

Thanks!

It was not on my list of approved mushie foods. I didn't eat sushi until after i was on regular food. I do eat sushi I just have to take it really slow. I prefer to get rolls that don't have rice with them. my fav sushi place does a roll made with cucumber.

Just a warning that the sushi rice is sticky and any dry seaweed paper can really get stuck or irriating. I love sushi but not being able to drink before or after sushi makes it a difficult food, for me.

Best of luck to you.

Baked fish was on my soft foods list. Rice wasn't and neither was sushi. Some bandsters have problems with rice, so if it were me, I'd hold off for now.

The seaweed paper gets stuck very easily and I have to discreetly spit it into a napkin however the rice goes down nice for me. I would wait until you are healed though....

Rice is a big NO on my mushy diet. My surgeon still won't let me have it and I am on week 4 tomorrow.

From now on you may have to embrace sashimi instead of sushi. Regardless, it's probably still too early for sashimi as well as it has a habit of sliding down your throat in giant pieces once it gets into your mouth.

If you're in the mood for Japanese, maybe some of the following will fit the bill:

Buridaikon Recipe - Japanese Fish Recipe - Japanese recipes

Tamagoyaki recipe - Recipe for tamagoyaki rolled omelet recipe

Simmered Sweet Kabocha Recipe - Kabocha Amani Recipe

Yudofu Recipe - tofu hot pot recipe - Japanese tofu recipe

Thanks for the input, everyone. Doesn't sound too promising for my sushi fix on Friday!!!

WAIT...HOLD THE PHONE!

Yes, skip the rice...get sashimi instead! (no rice)

I've really enjoyed sushi lately, i tried some just 2 weeks after surgery.

My advice...

CHEW CHEW CHEW...

savor everything there! Try something new.....

I've become a food snob since surgery. I try not to eat anything I dont really fall in love with. does that make sense?

i remember dinners with my wife when they used to bring over a wooden boat the size of the table, as we would normally split 5 or 6 rolls.....stuffed our faces!

Now, I search the menu very carefully, and choose 1 roll.....and I pick 1 hoping its so exquisite.....

1 more suggestion......TAMAGO, aka egg custard....good Protein with a little sweetness, some more than others.....try it.....its almost like a dessert.....

One more thing....TARTARE....i think this would qualify as a mushy, finely chopped tuna or salmon with approp seaonings......another favorite of mine....

Or go with several people and share .......

I love going out to dinner now, I'm a cheap date and I can only eat a small amount, so I enjoy tasting menus, and tappas....but sushi really is a favorite.

enjoy!

Thanks, Bill! Your ideas sound yummy and I'm happy to forego the rice.......just the thought of a nice piece of sashimi after 4 weeks of liquids........:scared2::confused: