Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

550+ pounds and frustrated

Hello everyone.

I first looked into the lapband 2 years ago. I went to see Dr. Goldstein's presentation in Voorhees, NJ at Virtua and he did a great job convincing everyone the band was the way to go, and I still believe that. But when I met with him, he told me they don't band on anyone over 340. I wrote him a letter asking if it had changed and what if anything I could do and I got a call back that it hadn't changed (its been a year now) but I might try other places, or I could get a sleeve gastrectomy.

So I called University of Penn Hospital and spoke with them and they said if I got under 500 I could probably get a band but that they would strongly urge me to get sleeve gastrectomy as well because I'm not going to lose the kind of weight I need to with a band.

I'm 27, I'm still actually fairly active and I go to a personal trainer 3 days a week to make sure I stay that way as long as possible but how many years of people telling me no do I have left? I just want this surgery so bad and I won't consider GB or Sleeve Gastrectomy because they're too invasive. I know I can manage living with a band, I want it so badly but it seems like everyone is trying to steer me away, and everytime another door is shut I just feel worse.

Sorry for the rant just looking for anyone who can tell me what I should do. Do I just give up and live this way?

-Jeff

Hi Jeff, what I would suggest is possibly continue to look around until you find someone who will perform the Lap-Band for you.

I don’t know many but there have been several I’ve seen who were needing to lose a few hundred pounds and were able to do it. It’s not impossible. I think the main factor in their decision is with the Lap-Band we tend to lose weight quite slowly. They maybe think since you have as much as you do it would be better to go for the more quick approach.

However it is your body. Just as a word from the wise (someone WITH the Lap-Band) it’s not a surefire answer. Weigh your options and truly do the research on all of them. Do not be afraid of one over the other. They all run at least some risk to it, I mean it is after all surgery.

Wishing you the best!

Hello everyone.

I first looked into the LAP-BAND® 2 years ago. I went to see Dr. Goldstein's presentation in Voorhees, NJ at Virtua and he did a great job convincing everyone the band was the way to go, and I still believe that. But when I met with him, he told me they don't band on anyone over 340. I wrote him a letter asking if it had changed and what if anything I could do and I got a call back that it hadn't changed (its been a year now) but I might try other places, or I could get a sleeve gastrectomy.

So I called University of Penn Hospital and spoke with them and they said if I got under 500 I could probably get a band but that they would strongly urge me to get sleeve gastrectomy as well because I'm not going to lose the kind of weight I need to with a band.

I'm 27, I'm still actually fairly active and I go to a personal trainer 3 days a week to make sure I stay that way as long as possible but how many years of people telling me no do I have left? I just want this surgery so bad and I won't consider GB or Sleeve Gastrectomy because they're too invasive. I know I can manage living with a band, I want it so badly but it seems like everyone is trying to steer me away, and everytime another door is shut I just feel worse.

Sorry for the rant just looking for anyone who can tell me what I should do. Do I just give up and live this way?

-Jeff

Jeff,

You definitely should not give up and live this way. At 27 years old I strongly urge you to consider having the sleeve procedure if your insurance will cover it. I have seen several people who went the route of the sleeve and they are doing great. I'm really not too sure that you would be happy with the the slow result obtained with lapband. Please do more research on the sleeve.

Jeff, I tend to agree with Diva .... they are probably looking at 2 things: (1) the surgical risks are greater at your weight and some doctors do what they can to limit their malpractice exposure. (2) You have more than half your body weight to lose more than likely. Yes, the band works but with so much to lose, the reality is this: With bypass, the first 100 is pretty much a "gimme" as it will be gone probably at the rate of nearly a pound per day. I have read and seen multiple things where surgeons will do a sleeve as a "preliminary" surgery to bypass because of that very reason -- the stresses on your body/organs is incredible and they try to minimize that. Perhaps a sleeve would be the right thing to look for right now. You would lose faster than with a band but a bit slower than bypass WITHOUT the whole bypass part. I'm obviously no doctor but the sleeve, from all I've read, is a good, safe surgery and there are doctors who will do a sleeve surgery on someone your size.

The bottom line is, I think, that perhaps you need to make an appointment with a bariatric surgeon to discuss ALL the options and get solid information on the whys and why nots.

Good luck AND keep us posted.

you can lose just as much weight just as fast with the band...if ur willing to make changes to ur eating habits and exercise...i understand u have a lot of weight to lose...but i'm a true believer and have had the experience with the band to lose weight just as fast and as much as anyone with the sleeve or bypass...ur young...men tend to lose weight faster and i believe if u put ur mind body and soul in2 losing this weight jeff...u can do it with the band...i'm not saying the band is ur best option...what i am saying is it is possible to lose just as much weight... just as fast with the band...take it from some1 who did it.....

I agree with 2FlyGuys above. But it's all a personal decision. I think you can probably find a doctor who would be willing to do the LB... but most of all, do not give up!! Congratulations on taking charge of your health. That is awesome!!! :redface::biggrin::smile2:

Yes I totally agree. It is a very personal decision, but a very serious one too. I believe that all options should be weighed and researched. Nothing wrong with an informed decision, and not just by opinions from others either.

I know, I just really like that the band is so minimally invasive and sleeve gastrectomy is the polar opposite of that. I'm scared of surgery to begin with. I don't know I guess I should reevaluate it but I think I could do great on the band. I guess I'll look more. Thanks.

If you found a doctor that will perform it if you are under 500, have you considered trying to lose 50 pounds?

If you are fairly active then you may just need to alter your diet slightly.

You can eat the same thing, just cut the portions by 25% and see what happens.

Sorry for making it seem like I wouldn't be willing to lose 50 - I am. I guess my complaint is more that they said even if I lost 50 I shouldn't get the band. I guess I need to decide if the sleeve is for me or not.