Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I hate people eating around me!

So I just gotta vent...

Nov 13 was the day I got baned.. so as you know I'm still on my liquids....

Last night my husband and I went to his aunts for dinner. I brought my Protein Shake but they had Pasta and chicken parmesean my fav!!!

I was about to cry sitting at the table just smelling it. I wanted to just put in my mouth and spit it out, but I know that wouldn't be cool. My weakness has always been Italian food. This is going to be a tough patch to get through as far as eating liquids.. But I can do it!!:w00t:

I totally feel you about the chicken parmesean....such a weakness. But seriously---why put yourself through that?!?! Can't you get together with these people after you're off liquids and back on real food? If not, can't they avoid eating around you? It just doesn't seem fair to torure yourself like that.

I so know what you mean. Once I got home from the hospital....it seems that everybody always talked about food! I never realized how much my family talks about food, how much my co-workers talk about food! What helped me though is knowing that if i eat this now, i can damage my stomach ...so right away i lost the desire for anything they were eating. And now, that i am on mushies, I know i can eat some of that stuff, but I decided to give myself one meal on Sunday to have what I want. So if i want lasagna..I will wait to have it on Sunday. Low fat version of course - but the truth is...when that Sunday came around, I had no desire for it either.

Good luck and you will get through this :w00t:

I totally feel you about the chicken parmesean....such a weakness. But seriously---why put yourself through that?!?! Can't you get together with these people after you're off liquids and back on real food? If not, can't they avoid eating around you? It just doesn't seem fair to torure yourself like that.

Yeah, I would have just skipped it and sent my husband! The good new is that Pasta is soft so maybe you'll be able to eat it soon.

I hope so guys!! I'm not going to eat any of the stuff that I'm not supposed to eat, trust me!! I'm almost done with Clear Liquids, then it's on to full liquids! I should just look forward to week after week.

I'm trying to avoid going out if I'm going to be around people who eat.

This is a struggle, but in the end, it's so worth it!:w00t:

You really will get through it. This truly is the hardest part. In an earlier post about Bandster Hell, I posted that this really will be a distant memory once you're a few months out. You may need to make choices about who you're with and what they're doing right now, but soon, you will have no problem being about people and their food. Really, I promise!

If I got through this, anyone can. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!

I was banded on 10/15/09. When my hubby and kids would eat when I was on liquids, i would just go in my room and cry. Now I laugh about it. When I came back to work it was really hard also becuase everyone loves to eat around here. But now I can eat with them but now I make healthier choices. At first I thought why did I have this surgery but I have lost 31 lbs in a month and I am so loving it. Good luck. Once you get over liquids it will get so much easier for you!! We can all do this!:w00t:

I was banded on October 27th. The second week of liquid diets I went to my parent's house to help them out with some business. When I got home Sunday night, my husband was making cheeseburgers with fries. I walked into the house and immediately got pissed. I had just had surgery a week before and here he was, 7pm at night, cooking dinner. Knowing I was going to be coming home around 7pm. He couldnt have made dinner earlier, so I wouldnt be home to watch them eat. No, he waited until he knew I would be home. And to make things worse, he even offered one to me when I sat down. HELLO?!! I reminded him that I couldnt have it. He laughed and said, "Oh yah..." Then later that night, I was in bed watching TV and my husband walked in with Cookies. Again, he offered one to me. And again, I reminded him that I couldnt eat it. He laughed again and said, "Ooops, I forgot."

He orders pizza without my knowledge and has it delivered to the house. Goes to Weinerschnitzel and buys chili dogs and corn dogs. It's okay though......I am losing my weight and sticking to my diet plan!! The outcome is better than any fatty food I could be putting in my mouth right now.

I feel for all of you. I am not bragging by any means or to make you feel bad. I just want to thank you both for making me appreciate my husband more. The first 2 weeks he would barely eat around or in front of me. I had to beg him to stop hiding from me. He didn't want to make me feel bad at all about not being able to eat.

I get mad at him for so much silly stuff and this reminds me of how great he really is to me. Obviously not all men are sensitive. Hang in there.

I had to make an effort to change my mind set about food. I am diabetic, so I gave up carbs about 10 years ago. (Believe me you can get fat on meat and cheese). I did this mind set thing back then because I knew I was going to deal with this disease the rest of my life. I found it actually easier to eat out than the low fat diet. I just changed my thinking when food was in the room. I grew in a relatively short amount of time, to not resent the food or the people who could eat it. I even cook, and bake for my husband without resenting it now. When I got banded, I was hungry during liquids like everyone else. My biggest challenge was figuring out how to keep the carbs out of the liquids. My husband was supportive and cooked for himself during my liquid stage and I got through it. I did not eat out at all during that stage. Now I am back to making foods for me and adding to them for him, Yes I even bake brownies and never touch them because I have this mind set. That is what it is really about. If we sit around and feel sorry for ourselves, we are setting ourselves up for failure. I have times when I think about food and then stop myself because I know where that will take me. I find other things to do and to occupy my mind. We can all do this and it really does work. Some people say they imagine the food crawling with bugs or other tricks, but I just stop thinking about food. It is not as hard as it sounds you can do it......If I can anyone can..... Hang in there.

I feel for all of you. I am not bragging by any means or to make you feel bad. I just want to thank you both for making me appreciate my husband more. The first 2 weeks he would barely eat around or in front of me. I had to beg him to stop hiding from me. He didn't want to make me feel bad at all about not being able to eat.

I get mad at him for so much silly stuff and this reminds me of how great he really is to me. Obviously not all men are sensitive. Hang in there.

You are very lucky to have a supportive husband!! And it is sooo true that not all men are sensitive. I wish my husband was even the least bit supportive....but he has it in his mind, that I had this done so I can lose the weight and leave him. I laughed at that. Why would I need to lose weight to leave someone? I WOULDNT! HAHA!

I was banded on October 27th. The second week of liquid diets I went to my parent's house to help them out with some business. When I got home Sunday night, my husband was making cheeseburgers with fries. I walked into the house and immediately got pissed. I had just had surgery a week before and here he was, 7pm at night, cooking dinner. Knowing I was going to be coming home around 7pm. He couldnt have made dinner earlier, so I wouldnt be home to watch them eat. No, he waited until he knew I would be home. And to make things worse, he even offered one to me when I sat down. HELLO?!! I reminded him that I couldnt have it. He laughed and said, "Oh yah..." Then later that night, I was in bed watching TV and my husband walked in with Cookies. Again, he offered one to me. And again, I reminded him that I couldnt eat it. He laughed again and said, "Ooops, I forgot."

He orders pizza without my knowledge and has it delivered to the house. Goes to Weinerschnitzel and buys chili dogs and corn dogs. It's okay though......I am losing my weight and sticking to my diet plan!! The outcome is better than any fatty food I could be putting in my mouth right now.

OMG! Your husband is such a jerk lol. You are gonna have to have an abundance of will power to succeed with him around. I feel for ya girl!

So I just gotta vent...

Nov 13 was the day I got baned.. so as you know I'm still on my liquids....

Last night my husband and I went to his aunts for dinner. I brought my Protein shake but they had Pasta and chicken parmesean my fav!!!

I was about to cry sitting at the table just smelling it. I wanted to just put in my mouth and spit it out, but I know that wouldn't be cool. My weakness has always been Italian food. This is going to be a tough patch to get through as far as eating liquids.. But I can do it!!:redface:

About a week into my post-op diet my daughter made chicken parmesan and Pasta and it smelled heavenly. Of course I was still on Clear Liquids and couldn't have any. I kinda hung around the dinner table lurking and sniffing until I finally took a bit off my daughter's plate and chewed it up and spit it out in the trash can. It tasted so darned good! I never cheated again on my post op diet after that incident.

Hey jen,

sounds to me like you not only have to deal with your new life decisions, you also have to deal with sabotage! If your husband is insecure and thinks you are going to leave, I would imagine that's why he's being so obvious in his attempts to sabotage your program. He really needs to figure out his own behavior -- Stay strong!!!! Remember everyone here is on your side :redface:

I couldn't imagine living with others after having the band. I live alone and I still find it hard when friends and family come over and they want to order pizza or bring sandwiches or something. I politely tell them to "eat before they come". Also at work I have a boss that wants me to eat with him all the time, errr, more like watch him eat. I mean come on..

Yeah I would have probably turned down the dinner and stayed home. I was banded 11/2/09 and my weakness will be Thanksgiving. But my family is cool, they are making mashed potatoes for me to eat.

But here is the upside I've heard from others that have the band: once you get back to regular food, it's cool to go out to eat because you can just "steal a little" off of everybody's plate, which in the end saves cash and you end up looking a lot better and being healthier, on their dime!!!