Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did I make a mistake?

I had my band in February 2009. So far I have lost 50 pounds! Every time I have had a fill, there is either more or less saline than the Dr. thought from the time before. I was working quite well after my 3rd fill of 5CC's. Then out of no where I started to have bad heartburn and to spit up everything I put in my mouth including Water. The Dr did an unfill, but found 6cc's in my band. (?) I was fine for 6 weeks now all of the sudden I have terrible heartburn again and about two thirds of what I put in my mouth comes up or becomes uncomfortable. I am up most of the night with the heartburn. I also have no sensation of being full. It might be me, maybe I am not chewing well or eating to big of bites. I am really upset and I fell that if I have to live this way the rest of my life I made a mistake.

You should not have to live like that with the band. If you are having problems, then there is an issue which needs to be resolved. Just my opinion here but it sounds like your doctor is not keeping good records of what he is putting in or taking out and it sounds to me as though it might be time to find another doctor to help you through the process. Just because that doctor put the band in doesn't mean you have to stay with him. My surgeon is very precise about how much she puts in and takes out. She unfills me with every appointment to be sure how much if any has evaporated, etc. and to be sure there isn't a leak, etc. Then she refills me with a little more each time and keeps track of how much I have in. She also talks to me before each adjustment and finds out how I feel and how I have been eating since the last time she saw me. She is very thorough and knock on wood, other than the few stuck episodes and pb's which were my own fault I have had no problems. I would seek a new doctor.

With those symptoms, I'd be very concerned that the band had slipped. I'm sure there are other issues that could cause those symptoms as well, but you need to be seen by your doctor asap.

Thanks for the advise. I would have never thought of seeing a new Dr but this does seem like a good idea. I don't feel mine really listens to me. He is a wonderful surgeon, just busy I guess.

I hope you you just need a little unfill. That's the problem with some of the surgeons though. Great at the surgery, not so great with the aftercare. Just stay on him, and don't ever feel like you're taking up his time unnecessarily. Don't hesitate to change doctors if it's doable.

Sounds like we have the same doctor. I don't even know how many cc have in right now because mine doesn't keep record. he flat out told me that he doesn't believe that any doctor is accurate on how many cc any patients has in their band and so to him, that doesn't matter. what matters according to him is how the patient feels after each fill. I have a 10 cc band and almost 6 months post surgery, had about 6 or 7 fills (I lost count..lol) and barely have any restriction.