Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I read mixed things about swallowing pills. In the pre op literature it says nothing larger than an aspirin. However, the discharge instructions don't mention it, in fact a few of the perscriptions he gave me are LARGE pills! One is a large capsule of antibiotic! What have you been doing?

P.s-I'm 9 days post op

i haven't had any problems with pills...my dr. told me if it can fit down my throat,i'd be fine...i'm 6 months out and getting over the H1N1 Flu right now and I never wanna swallow another pill in my lfe! lol..i think that's all I've done the past 2 weeks!

I'm surprised you were prescribed large pills. I'd check back with your doctor or pharmacy. I know they have liquid antibiotics for children. The only meds I was prescribed for after surgery were liquid gravol and a very small pill for pain relief.

I wasn't given a size of pill, I was just told your stoma is about the size of a dime. I was told to review my pills with my pharmacist and see if any of my large pills could be crushed, or if capsules could be opened. I did and also reviewed what I was taking with my family doctor. One of my larger pills did get dropped. The clinic's nurse suggested taking children's chewable tylenol - you just take more to get your full dose. I also started a liquid form of a supplement I was taking instead of taking large pillls. So I haven't tried anything as large as tylenol, but the pills I have taken have been fine so far.

Some pills you must keep in the form they are in. I don't have any problems now but in the beginning I did. I learned this trick a long time ago because I suffer from Migraines and needed to get the pill into my bloodstream more quickly. Long story but here is what I learned to do. Get a mortal and pestal (bed bath and beyond or walmart). Crush the pills and place the crushed contents in a juice glass or shot glass and just barely put some hot Water with it and mix it together. It should be the consistency of liquidy paste is the only way I can describe it. Then drink it. Not pleasant tasting but works very well. I always chase it with some tea or something I like to drink.

Soon after getting banded, I opened up antibiotics I was prescribed and poured the powder into a bit of liquid. Worst tasting thing I've ever had.

I later discovered I could swallow pills fine. I wasn't happy that I had just poured out powder to drink 20-freaking-times.

DR told me if the pill fits though a dixie straw they were fine.But what size of dixie straw ? I have a Dr. apt wen. the 18th will ask if he has one to go by.Every were you go has their own size straw.

It doesn't taste the greatest but when you are desparate and aren't talking about capsules, but the huge tablets it does work and you can chase the taste with something you like to drink. Whatever works. Just making suggestions trying to help the thread starter.