Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can we please talk about BPD (Biliopancreatic Diversion) and DS (duodenal switch)?

Hi everyone, thank you so much for all the mutual support I have been reading in the forums.

Now I have a question of my own. It'd be great to pool our information.

My journey is long and complicated, so I'll try to keep things short.

I am most definitely not considering a sleeve, only a BPD probably with a DS. Issues I worry about:

- During the adjustment period, when you need to go to the bathroom, can you hold it normally? Or do you have to dash for the bathroom on a moment's notice? Or do you have accidents in public?

- A BPD forces you to stay under 1600 calories per day, or you absolutely vomit or absolutely spend all day in the bathroom. What if I accidentally get pregnant and need to eat for two?

- Especially interested in hearing from those with an eating disorder. What if you absolutely cannot control your eating? (No lectures about discipline please - that's not how this disease works). Has your addiction been so strong that you have chosen to overeat and pay the price in the bathroom, rather than go without your comfort eating?

- Did it work for you? What % of your overweight did you lose, and did it stay off?

Thank you, thank you for any advice and experiences you care to share.

I thought about DS when my lap band wasn't working and was considering revision. I had heard that with DS there would be no question that I would lose weight. I don't know that much about DS or BPD-DS but I know many people have definite opinions on the matter and probably a better crowd to discuss might be found at www.obesityhelp.com

My surgeon wouldn't reccomend a person for DS unless they were in the 400-500 lb range. There was a surgeon north of me who I was going to see and discuss it with but he was 2 hours away and I didn't want to be that far from a surgeon in case I had complications which can happen with any weight loss surgery.

Anyway wondered why you were considering the DS route as opposed to RNY? Good luck with which ever surgery you choose, Nancy.

First and foremost: Do not ask an RNY surgeon if you should get the DS. I learned that the hard way. They will tell you all kinds of lies as to why you should NOT do the DS and should do the surgery THEY can do. I suggest going to a doctor that does all four surgeries, like Dr. Stewart in Denton TX. (www.weightlosssurgeon.com) He will not tell you which surgery to get, but he will educate you on the pro's/con's of each surgery and then he will do what YOU want.

I was almost butchered to the RNY thinking that was my only option, but luckily I got a second opinion and the DS I wanted.

As for the original posters questions: 1. When you are eating only liquids, you do have loose bowels. liquid in liquid out type thing. As your diet progresses it firms up. If you have been able to "hold it" so far, you won't have any issues.

2. Calories depend on you. You have to choose high Protein, high fat foods. DSers only absorb 20% of fat, so if you like bacon and butter, you are on the right road. On the ObesityHelp board there are people that eat 3000 calories a day and still lose weight.

3. As for an eating disorder. I truly believe we all have one in one form or another. If you are a compulsive over eater, it will help because you don't have much room. Because it cuts out the hunger hormone, you will not be hungry.

Please go to www.dsfacts.com and read the LONG TERM studies that show the superiority of the ds to any other surgeries.

If I had known years ago, I would not have gone thru lap band hell to get to ds heaven.

Good luck

Just wanted to pop in and give an update on my progress so far. I am down 68lbs since November. No issues with food or bathroom problems. I stay low carb, eat high fat high Protein, and love every butter covered bacon filled bite!

I would scream on top of every mountain that people need to get the DS. :thumbup: