Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Introduction -- Courtney

Hi everyone! I am coming out of lurker status to introduce myself finally http://www.lapbandtalk.com/images/smilies/smile.gif I am from Concord, NC and had my band done by Dr. Bauman on 9/20/05. I have 2 girls (6 and 4) and I am a stay at home mother-- I have enjoyed reading all of your messages and thank you for all of the information that you share-- it always feels great to discover that I'm not alone out here!

I am still not through all of my eating plan, so I guess it is still early to start worrying, but I am CONSTANTLY hungry. I don't have any idea what restriction feels like and even though I know that this is healing time-- it sometimes becomes frustrating and I feel the worry creeping in-- I worry that the band won't work for me-- I am relying on willpower alone right now with my food choices/amounts and I know that my willpower won't last forever. I won't have a fill until sometime around the first of December-- and I must say, I am pretty anxious!

Any thoughts or advice? I'd appreciate it, especially if you are going to tell me that this is normal! LOL!!!

Anyway, this is my HELLO!

And here's my HELLO right back at you! You are very normal. Some people get good restriction with just the band, but other people have to wait for a fill. Be patient, because it depends on how your doctor gives fills. Some docs just give you a little fill, then make you wait for more (the "sneak up" approach.) Other docs fill you tight a few weeks after surgery. Why do you have to wait till December?

Welcome to your new family :(

Hey Court and welcome....This is a great place we are so glad you came out of hiding.... I was one that was starving with just my band. I didn't gain anything but the weight loss was @ 2 pounds a week which is normal for the band. So I didn't complain. Got filled to 2 and still not much so when I went to 2.5 OMG it was way to much....you can go for your first fill @ 6 weeks post op. Well that is what most docs say. Hang in there it does take time.

I live in Concord also....I am 31 have a 2 year old. If you have been lurking on the board you have noticed that here in NC we have our own little support group thanks to the LBT. We try to meet once a month and the next one is coming up Nov 5th @ Ruby Tuesdays @ 77 and Arrowood. Then next month we should be meeting up in the university. So we flip flop....We have I think 2 new people coming this month so if you could join us it would be great. There is about 6-8 of us that meet on a normal basis....try to fit us in on Nov 5th @ 11:30 it's a lot of fun you want be sorry you joined us!!!!!

Hello Courtney! I am glad to see you are out from lurking. I was also banded by Dr. Bauman and I am doing great. I haven't had a fill yet and I have lost about 45 pounds. I will probably get a fill next month. I am starting to fill hungry and want to eat more so I will tell the nutritionist that I want one. Did you know we have to pay for the fill up front that they don't submit to insurance? That was a shocker to me but oh well, I will have to do it if I want it to work for me.

Please come out on the 5th and we will have a great time. Ruby's has a really good healthy menu to choose from. Looking forward to meeting you.

Angie

Hey Courtney! Welcome to LBT!!! Another Charlotte person, wow! I remember that I used to feel a bit lonely on the board. There were NC bandsters, but not too many regular posters. Our group is growing!! Come to lunch!!!

Yes please come to lunch with us on the 5th. I too was banded by Dr. Bauman...I'm not yet a week out...so still on the lovely diet of liquids for a while longer :(. Its great that there are getting to be so many of us NC folks.

Melissa

Hey angie, or Courtney.... I can't remember but for the nutritionist are we suppouse to be writting down our intake and exercise? I'm feeling I'm at the point where I might be able to keep track of it now.

I didn't write anything down when I was on liquids--they asked how much Protein I was getting, how much Water and how much exercise, but I just ballparked it.

NOW on the other hand, I am really having trouble keeping up with my Protein numbers for some reason. I guess it is just getting back to a normal life and not really having the memory to do more than two things at once! LOL!! I started writing things down yesterday and did a lot better-- I think it is going to have to be a habit for me.

Angie, That is nuts about the fills-- I wonder if we can file it with our insurance ourselves? I emailed Dr. Bauman's office and they told me that I had to pay my copay to them and then $199 to the hospital (who doesn't file it with the insurance). I don't know if my insurance would cover or not, but I'd sure like to try!

Courtney

Hey Courtney! Welcome to the board. I am new here too. I was just banded on 10/6/05.

Hope to meet you at lunch!

Yeah, I don't understand why the hospital cant file the insurance? They are a top 100 hospital in the nation and can't file insurance? What is up with that? I think we can file it on our own but that's a pain in the you know where! Not sure whats up with it. Does Bauman do the fill in his office or do we have to go to the hosptial? Why the copay? If we go to the hospital why do we have to pay a copay. It's crazy and I didn't know any of this until last month. Oh well, I will make it through it. :(

From what the lady at Dr. Baumans office said sorry don't remember her name but she was the one I went to and got a date from back corner left office. Anyway she said that not all insurance covers fills...I thought this was crazy, but then she said that the hospital because of this won't take insurance upfront in lue of payment because apparently they have alot of instances where insurance didn't cover. What I don't understand, is they work with insurance compainies all the time why they can't file for the ones they KNOW will cover, or maybe get pre approval for fills so they are covered?

Melissa

That is totally true-- they would have to know about which insurance companies will cover already! I don't even know what to ask my insurance company! I can't imagine calling up and asking them if they cover "fills". It was crazy enough talking about the actual band! LOL! Anybody have any ideas or codes to use to ask insurance companies? Maybe I'll post on the insurance board too...

Welcome . I was banded the same day you were . That is nice we can keep track of each others progress and good news and bad news . I wish you all the best with your band , and I am really glad you said Hello .. Keep in touch !!!

Welcome Courtney! Please forgive the delayed response, I've been out of town. I think I'm the last in our little NC group that is still working on preliminaries. I see my surgeon tomorrow.

I too hope you can join us for lunch!