Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr's office just called and had a cancellation

So now I am being banded on 11/20/2009 (the week before THANKSGIVING mind you) instead of 1/8/2010 OMG WTH did I just agree to :biggrin:

Your post reminds me of what happened to me. I was banded on August 26....4 days later my sister in law held her annual Labor Day picnic. I haven't told them about my banding because they would not be supportive of it. They think just cut back on the portions....OK! Anyway, we went and the whole time I'm thinking what am I going to eat since I was on liquids. Luckily, I also had a small hiatal hernia repair so that was my excuse not to eat the hot dogs or hamburgers. What I did was eat a spoonful of mashed potato salad and sipped on Water. It worked.

If your family knows about your banding they will be supportive and will accept your liquid diet. You can still eat turkey Soup (broth) mashed potatoes and mashed sweet potatoes.

I do feel for you though. The thought of cooking that food and knowing you can't eat it down right sucks. But just think of all the good that is coming out of being banded...by next Thanksgiving you will be one sexy babe or hunk :biggrin: (added both since I don't know your gender)

GOOD LUCK

Your post reminds me of what happened to me. I was banded on August 26....4 days later my sister in law held her annual Labor Day picnic. I haven't told them about my banding because they would not be supportive of it. They think just cut back on the portions....OK! Anyway, we went and the whole time I'm thinking what am I going to eat since I was on liquids. Luckily, I also had a small hiatal hernia repair so that was my excuse not to eat the hot dogs or hamburgers. What I did was eat a spoonful of mashed potato salad and sipped on Water. It worked.

If your family knows about your banding they will be supportive and will accept your liquid diet. You can still eat turkey Soup (broth) mashed potatoes and mashed sweet potatoes.

I do feel for you though. The thought of cooking that food and knowing you can't eat it down right sucks. But just think of all the good that is coming out of being banded...by next Thanksgiving you will be one sexy babe or hunk :biggrin: (added both since I don't know your gender)

GOOD LUCK

lol thanks bluetopaz I guess thinking I had till the 8th of January was a relief for me cuz I wouldn't have to miss out on the 2 biggest meals of the year Thanksgiving and Christmas(how sad that I love food so much that this is going to be like I am breaking up with my best friend) but I have to keep reminding myself that there is always going to be a holiday, birthday, anniversary, cookout so you could keep putting this off indefinitely or just suck it up and do it right?? So wish me luck anything inparticular I should add to my grocery list I so far have GasX strips, a heating pad, cold packs, Protein drinks, SF popsicles,SF pudding and Jello, crystal light, broth, liquid tylenol, tea, and thats about it.:( by the way I will hopefully be a sexy BABE next year at the Thanksgiving get together and also be able to have Turkey instead of broth lol

On my liquid I could also have cottage cheese (1 or 2%, low-fat or no fat) fat free cream Soups, sugarless puddings & jellos. I was never hungry on them. Just remember sip lots of fluids.

You could probably add a tablespoon of gravy to those mashed potatoes.

Good luck (babe) :biggrin:

Oh my gosh! I'm in the same boat..My surgery is scheduled on the 20th as well. I let my family know ahead of time so they don't try to feed me. :biggrin:

Oh my gosh! I'm in the same boat..My surgery is scheduled on the 20th as well. I let my family know ahead of time so they don't try to feed me. :biggrin:

I can see us both now dandleon on Thanksgiving day---oh please no turkey and stuffing for me just pass the pureed potatoes and I'll take a teaspoon of gravy with that.--No wine with your dinner?? Oh no a shot glass of crystal light is more than enough for me!!! lmao:lol::(

I got a surprise call from my DR, saying they had cancellation and did I want to move up my surgery. At this point my surgery was scheduled for 6 weeks away. The new date was in 8 days. 8 days!!!!!!!!!!

Talk about trying to wrap your head around that. My head was spinning!

I had one day to get all my pre-op food and then immediately started my pre op diet.

I was nervous, scared, excited and in shock. lol

Immediately, after surgery, we had mine and my daughter's b-day parties. A wedding, Mother's Day brunch and our anniversay.

+While admittingly, Christmas & Thanksgiving will be tough, there will always be some holiday or function we may not be able to fully indulge in.

My experience is who cares? I had plenty of years of stuffing my face at celebrations behind me, and only success in front of me.

Take it one day at a time, find support, either at home or online when temptation rears it's ugly head.

*I will share one thing that may help you put it in to perspective. This will be the first holiday season that I am thinner than both my sisters...and that tastes better than any food I put in my mouth.

Good luck, be smart, don't cheat (hate that word) and know that is the greatest gift you can give yourself this holiday season.

Samantha :-)

Hi! You just agreed to changing your life for the better ahead of schedule!!! I did the same thing (but mine was just a week earlier). CONGRATULATIONS!!! P.S. Turkey broth isn't that bad for Thanksgiving! Freeze the healthy leftovers and save them for when you can eat soft foods! Good luck!

Talk about changing up you world!! Just means that you get to start your new life sooner rather than later!! Good Luck.

I think this is great advice..BUT.... just because her surgeon allowed her to have mashed potatoes, doesn't mean that yours will. PLEASE make sure to follow YOUR surgeon's instructions... if he tells you liquids only for 2 wks, then stick to that.. I KNOW it will be hard... I am going in for a fill the week before thanksgiving...so I know I will be very tight...so I won't be able to eat much and I am cooking for the family this year.... congrats on your band surgery date but please make sure to follow whatever instructions YOUR surgeon gives you... EVERY surgeon is different and they each have their reasons for how they do the post op diet for the first 2-4 weeks.... good luck and let us know how it goes!!

I do feel for you though. The thought of cooking that food and knowing you can't eat it down right sucks. But just think of all the good that is coming out of being banded...by next Thanksgiving you will be one sexy babe or hunk :thumbup: (added both since I don't know your gender)

GOOD LUCK

I think that is wonderful to get banded right now. This will be one Holiday season where you will lose instead of gain!

Keep in mind your post-op diet though. If you’re not supposed to eat mushies that quickly then best not to. That time is for healing your stomach and for the best survival of your band.

You can always tell people you are ill with the flu or whatever to get out of the family function or to prove you don’t feel like eating much. That is if you want to keep your surgery private. If not, then no one will bother you with your food choices. Just enjoy your family which is the true meaning of the Holidays, no?

You will do great, and congrats!!

I totally agree with following surgeons instructions and enjoying the holidays with the family. I take it as an early birthday, Christmas, Dia de tres Reyes Magos and everthing present for me and my health. And those who are in the process of getting sugery soon good luck and think of it as an early present for yourself and the rest of your life.

Tootles!

D

i can see us both now dandleon on thanksgiving day---oh please no turkey and stuffing for me just pass the pureed potatoes and i'll take a teaspoon of gravy with that.--no wine with your dinner?? Oh no a shot glass of crystal light is more than enough for me!!! Lmao:lol::thumbup:

lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!