Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band vs gastric question

I decided last May to begin steps toward getting LapBand surgery to lose the 100 pounds that I need to lose. I have no interest in the drastic and invasive gastric bypass surgery. However, since I began this program beginning with my Primary and on to the behavioralist, nutritionist, physician and surgeon, every one as encouraged the bypass and strongly discouraged the band. I have no health issues and have remained confident in my decision to stick with getting the band. I am about a month away from surgery. Has anyone else had this type of discouragement? If so, does anyone know why they encourage the bypass so much more? Is it more money for them? I feel that there are so many success stories with a much less invasive procedure, I'm bothered by the constant doubt.

I think the band requires quite a lot of user effort to be really successful and based on that, the amount of people that lose 100% of their excess weight is fewer. Bypass is more likely to give you automatic weight loss for less effort.

However, the effort you put in with a band pays off - particularly if you're good about getting your exercise. You learn new habits and that keeps the weight OFF. You can stretch out your pouch, but basically, barring slippage and erosion, things like that are relatively easily fixed and you can readjust your restriction when you need to unlike if you stretch out your bypass stomach, you're pretty much up sh&t creek without a paddle.

The band can cause some unpleasant side effects such as vomiting, inability to eat a lot of foods, heartburn and reflux and it just plain gives some people too much bother to be a viable option long term. But do a bit of research on the sleeve, and you can see the issues starting to emerge now, reflux, heartburn, lactose intolerance, unpleasant gas and vomiting. Yet like a lot of bandsters most sleevers would say that its minor and a price well worth paying for health and anyway, like with the band, the majority have few issues and are very happy.

Nothing is perfect, its more of a matter of whether you want to permanently reroute your organs - which is sensible if you really have eating disorders to the point where you wouldnt be able to work with a band. At 100lb overweight, you could probably go either way.

personally I find the band a very liveable device which has never caused any problems, I lost 100lb relatively easily and keep it off fairly easily too. I am a dedicated exerciser though.

Jacqui--- thank you so so much for your feedback. Makes a lot of sense and confirms how I feel. thanks.....and congrats on your weight loss....amazing!

I had a lot of people including professionals tell me the same thing, that I really should consider bypass instead of the band. However, I have decided and am sticking with my decision to have the band. I think ultimately I know in my heart what is best for me. I think you do too! Good Luck!

I didn't have a lot of pressure to go with the by-pass but, I did do a lot of research on the many options of bariatric surgery. I decided on the lap band for many of the reasons that Jacqui stated. The biggest reason is that I wanted to take my time and do it right. Slow and steady for me has always been the best way. I guess I am a very slow learner and it takes me awhile to "get it". So far, I am very happy with my decision. I am 7 weeks out from surgery,have lost 20 pounds, feeling better than I have in a very long time, and completely off of my diabetic meds. I am controlling my sugars with diet and exercise. That is reason enough for me to be happy with my choice. But, everyone has to make the choice for themselves, based on your specific health needs and habits. Good luck in your choice. I don't think you will regret it!

Elgrad

I decided last May to begin steps toward getting LAP-BAND® surgery to lose the 100 pounds that I need to lose. I have no interest in the drastic and invasive gastric bypass surgery. However, since I began this program beginning with my Primary and on to the behavioralist, nutritionist, physician and surgeon, every one as encouraged the bypass and strongly discouraged the band. I have no health issues and have remained confident in my decision to stick with getting the band. I am about a month away from surgery. Has anyone else had this type of discouragement? If so, does anyone know why they encourage the bypass so much more? Is it more money for them? I feel that there are so many success stories with a much less invasive procedure, I'm bothered by the constant doubt.

I had about 135 pounds that I wanted to lose. I too, chose to not go the invasive Gastric Bypass route. Seeing as there are more complications with Bypass and it is permanent, that definitely made me choose Lap band. But during my process of approval, I went to see the doctor that I use as a primary for my kids (family doctor...not a pediatrician) and he discouraged me from choosing the Lap band. I was furious, but let him give his lecture. In the end he tried to send me to the surgeon that his wife used (the surgeon that wasnt covered by my insurance company) and started to write a referral. I had to stop him and tell him that I had already chosen a surgeon and that I was only seeing him for a mere physical. Not for a reference. He tried again to get me to change my mind, but I stood my ground and stood behind my choice. I made this choice for me. Not for anyone else. I have my reasons and people dont have to agree with them. Unless it is detrimental to my health to NOT have the Lap band done, it was my choice.

I walked out of his office annoyed by his pressuring me, but I was still confident in my choice. I had surgery on October 27th, and although I am still in recovery mode and just started on the mushy food stage this past Tuesday. I am happy with my decision. It has been a hard couple weeks, with the gas and food getting stuck. But I still stand behind MY choice. Dont let people tell you what you need to do. If there is no reason behind it, stand behind your choice.

To date, I have lost almost 25 pounds. I havent felt good (I think I have a cold) so I havent even stepped on a treadmill or gone for long walks. You gotta do what you gotta do FOR YOU! Best of luck!!

Thank you for your feedback and congrats on the weight loss already!!! I met with my surgeon for the first time yesterday, and he explained both procedures to me and seemed to side with the band, due to the long term results as opposed to the fast and furious weightloss with gastric with a great change of weight gain over 5 years. Just another confirmation :bored: Thanks and good luck!!

My dr, does mostly bipass people -- he said he like it for the fast success for but said he felt i would do great with either -- i only had one person tell me i should do bipass instead of the band since i wanted to lose 120 or so.

I stuck with my gut - went with the band and 5.5 weeks out and 1 fill later i am down 24 lb. pretty good going so far.

I heard that lap band surgery is good when compared to all other weight loss processes. but it may have some side effects. Unfortunately gastric bypass also often leads to nutritional deficiencies that can cause severe health complications.