Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anxiety/Panic attacks

Guest makoflats

Guest makoflats

Thinking about getting "banded", I am prone to anxiety/panic attacks. Has anyone ever had a problem (panic attack) with "having a foreign object in them"

I have severe anxiety disorder and panic attacks althought it is mostly controlled by zoloft nowdays. However, my anxiety mostly stems around medical issues (thinking I'm going to have a heart attack, afraid to take medicine, afraid of having a reaction, afraid of dying, etc) and I would say I am alot more paranoid than most people on here which is why I post all the time and am afraid of slippage and stuff, but all in all I've done ok so far with the band. I can't feel the band, but I can feel the port and it makes me kind of nervous but I'm doing ok. I was scared so bad of the anesthsia - but I forced myself to do it and so far no regrets. I understand your fears and all I can say is that zoloft has been a godsend for me!

i had panic attacks in the past, was the most scary experience in my life,

but now i have only some general anxiety and not always..

i'm on Xanax and Seropram for a long time and i'm happy and without problems..

as about the Band, you wont have any problem! but i think 1st you must heal

the panics and the anxiety and then to think about losing weight!

i hope you have found a good therapist.. and by the way NEVER forget:

NOBODY never died by panic attack!!!

Good Luck and i want you to know that i feel you completely!!!

it sucks this disorder and makes life miserable .. i know i know :)

I have sever anxiety disorder and missed 10 years of my young life over it. I have had a few anxiety attacks over the band inside me, but a Valium or Xanax fixed it. Now I'm fine but I carry meds just in case.

I have had 2 attacks in the past which were new to me. I am fine with the port and the band inside me. I just do not think about it.. The first attack happend when I was in the bathroom for no reason. The second was in pre op.

I think as long as you have meds to control it you would be fine but of course you want to talk with the Doc first.

Guest makoflats

Thanks for the feedback. I'm relly stubborn and hate to take medication for anything. I guess its a man thing. Not really sure where I'll go from here, but I appreciate the encouragement.

I have an anxiety disorder..actually if anything my weight loss with my band has helped with my anxiety..but my older son suffers from panic attacks and just started the Zoloft..glad to hear others here take it and find relief.

I think your stubborness about taking medicine is related to anxiety (not just a "man thing"- I've found other people with anxiety have the same fear like I do. I have this irrational fear I will have a bad side effect and die or something.

This is a great question - and I think a big reason people choose another weightloss surgery instead of this one. Its the mental pre-occupation of having something foreign inside of them.

What helped ease my worries is thinking of the number of people who have other types of implants - knee replacements, pace makers, hearing devices... the list goes on forever.

After pondering this, my band decision wasnt as major as before. Try putting it into prespective, and get a "mind over matter" thought going... good luck!

I thought about that a lot pre-banding. Now since the band I only think about the band if I have a unknown pain or something. Automatically I will think - is something wrong with the band.

I really thought I might flip over a foreign object - but i seem to be fine. I try to look at the band as my friend - my very expensive little helper.....it changes my perspective.

Good luck.