Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nov 17th- Am I ready?

Happy Friday Everyone. Just a little back ground information. I am 5'5 and 213 pounds. Decided to get the surgery last month- did my pre-opp a few days ago. I am self paid, so the surgery date is Nov 17th. BUT am I really ready?

I am suppose to be on a liquid diet and just have no desire to do so..I mean I have been restricting my eating my entire life and I HATE IT.

With that said. It makes me think that I am not committed. After the surgery I HAVE to restrict myself or I will get sick. And not to mention I am paying for this myself and I am not a fan of wasting money.

Although there are hundred of blogs describing others success, why do I seem to be focused on the folks that the band has not worked for?

WILL I EAT AROUND THE BAND? I am an emotional and compulsive eater.

Is this surgery right for me? Any ADVICE and or suggestions would be helpful

I understand how you feel. The idea of the band not working is scary. But the way I see it it is better to try SOMETHING than nothing. I am just speaking from my experiences. I don't have the band yet but will have it next Thursday. I'm on day 5 of my preop. I get 3 Protein shakes a day and a healthy choice meal for dinner and other sugar free/fat free liquids. It sucks but I'm doing it.

With that said, only you can decide if you're ready for it. If you can't make yourself do the liquid diet that isn't a great sign really. Sure I'd love to sit down to a great big buffet of calories and fat right now and screw up my diet but I want to be thin MORE than I want to eat!!! It's more important to me, so I'm willing to make that sacrifice. And you really have to decide that this is more important to you than food is before you go in to this, especially if you are an emotional eater. Some people end up "mourning" the loss of their comfort foods. But I think the successful people are able to focus on the positive aspects of getting the band (being thinner) instead of the negatives (giving up eating all you want).

Do some soul searching and you'll get your answer. :)

I agree -- it's daunting to think that you could be one of the people who this doesn't work for . . but it does work for the vast majority of people! Why shouldn't you be one of the ones who makes it work?

We all came to this process after lives focused on weight struggles (and failing the battle of the bulge in every other attempt). But, just about everyone does well with the band -- and it makes this process SO MUCH easier.

I agree on the soul-searching front. Consider if there is a reason you don't want to get your weight under control? For a lot of people, the thought of being thinner and getting more attention can be scary. If that's not what's holding you back, what is? And, how were you able to come this far if you didn't want to succeed.

Maybe you're just having last minute cold feet. This is a big undertaking and it's good that you are seriously thinking about it. You absolutely can do this if you want to do it. It is not that hard to work the band, and I have not felt deprived during this whole process (I'm 63 down, 12 from goal).

As someone who has failed on every other diet (eventually) and who has sabotaged herself many times in the past, I can tell you that this is a great tool and that it can help you break the bad cycle of overeating and feeling bad about your weight if you are willing to do your part.

Am sending you very best wishes for your success!! Let me know how it goes if you go forward.

Best,

Catherine

Well your story sounds alot like mine. I was 5foot6 225 pounds and I paid 4 my own surgery on 10/18. I am also an emotional eater but Im not about to throw away all the money I invested in myself. I didnt go on a liquid diet till the two days before my surgery because I didnt know I was substo. I didnt start reading this sight till about 1 week after my surgery and Im glad that I didnt read it before. I only focus on the negative and I overlook the positive messages on this sight. I havent throwen up at all and I followed the diet that they assigned me post surgery.(and it wasnt that hard) I had a very ruff 1st week, but after that it was great. Ive lost 20 pounds and Im feeling great. Im sure this will all change after my first fill but Im glad I did it and I dont regret it at all. Hope this helped, good luck!!