Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgeon not having me stay overnight...Should I be worried?

My surgeon gave me the option, after I woke up and was doing fine, of going home that day or staying overnight. I preferred to stay overnight. I couldn't drink that much, and I felt more comfortable in the hospital with IV fluids. Plus, if something happened to go wrong, or I was just in a lot of pain and wanted IV medications, it was more convenient to be in the hospital. By the next morning, I felt much more confident to go home.

I had surgery at 11 and was home around 4. As far as time off work, I probably would've needed a week to be safe. I am a teacher and was off of work anyway, but a week would've been necessary, at least for me.

I'll be outpatient as well. I asked my surgeon how long the whole procedure would take and he said, "30 minutes". He also said that he once did in 27 minutes, but that it's usually more like 30 because he likes to take his time and do it right. Then I asked him how much time I needed to take off work. And he said "what time?... Iwe can schedule you for the surgery on a Friday and you can go back to work on Monday.... unless you want some time off and then I can write you a note."

Does this sound about right to everyone.... or is my guy a little off?

Karyn: I heard that you are pretty weak for the time you are on Clear Liquids so it's best to take time off for that...sleep and stuff.

I intend to have mine on the 20th, a Friday, and be off the entire next week.

I'm sure you can go back to work on Monday, if you wanted, but I know that I would not be able to focus if I'm weak at all. I'd rather just lay in bed and watch trash TV if i can :thumbup:

I also have to stay overnight I wish I didn't have to I have two boys 5 and 1 1/2 yrs and they can't see me at the hospital because of the whole H1N1 scare, their not allowed in the room before or after. My doctor makes all his patients stay 1 night (24 hrs).

Great information all around... thank you. It's amazing to me how the time-off afterwards varies from person to person (and how many people have hernias - I never realized). Desperate1, that was a combination of devoted, ambitious and... nuts to be catering a party just a few days later. It's good to know it can be done if necessary. But no. I have a (sedentary) desk job and I'll definitely be taking at least a FEW days. Since I work for a place that closes-up shop for two weeks at the end of the year, I won't be able to take too much time off before then. I guess I'll just have to wait till then to get my fill of trash t.v. :).... and heal. Great advice!

Omg. I have a date - I just got it. It's Friday, December 4th. (Breathe) Holy crap.

I'll be outpatient as well. I asked my surgeon how long the whole procedure would take and he said, "30 minutes". He also said that he once did in 27 minutes, but that it's usually more like 30 because he likes to take his time and do it right. Then I asked him how much time I needed to take off work. And he said "what time?... Iwe can schedule you for the surgery on a Friday and you can go back to work on Monday.... unless you want some time off and then I can write you a note."

Does this sound about right to everyone.... or is my guy a little off?

Depends on the job and the person. I have a history of bouncing back from surgeries in a rather rapid manner. My surgery was 11/3 and I went back to work on 11/4. I worked about 3 hours or so, went home and took a nap and put in another hour and a half. The next day I didn't just stay at my desk, I also went back and worked in the warehouse, but within my 5# lift limit. Definitely overdid it. Today, I paid closer attention.

I'd say if you're in pretty good shape and you have a desk job, you should be ok by Monday but take the time to stand and walk around for 5 minutes every hour. I found that I tended to lean forward while working on the computer and was a bit more sore in the stomach when I went to gently stretch straight.

Great information all around... thank you. It's amazing to me how the time-off afterwards varies from person to person (and how many people have hernias - I never realized). Desperate1, that was a combination of devoted, ambitious and... nuts to be catering a party just a few days later. It's good to know it can be done if necessary. But no. I have a (sedentary) desk job and I'll definitely be taking at least a FEW days. Since I work for a place that closes-up shop for two weeks at the end of the year, I won't be able to take too much time off before then. I guess I'll just have to wait till then to get my fill of trash t.v. :cursing:.... and heal. Great advice!

Omg. I have a date - I just got it. It's Friday, December 4th. (Breathe) Holy crap.

Your last sentence is classic! Thanks for the laugh, and congrats on the date!:)

Depends on the job and the person. I have a history of bouncing back from surgeries in a rather rapid manner. My surgery was 11/3 and I went back to work on 11/4. I worked about 3 hours or so, went home and took a nap and put in another hour and a half. The next day I didn't just stay at my desk, I also went back and worked in the warehouse, but within my 5# lift limit. Definitely overdid it. Today, I paid closer attention.

I'd say if you're in pretty good shape and you have a desk job, you should be ok by Monday but take the time to stand and walk around for 5 minutes every hour. I found that I tended to lean forward while working on the computer and was a bit more sore in the stomach when I went to gently stretch straight.

Okay... I'm kind of chuckling over the "if you're in pretty good shape" comment... because... well... I'M NOT! :) I DO appreciate getting the benefit of the doubt though! Thank you for that.

And honestly, now that you mention it... I recovered pretty quickly from gallbladder sugery last year. And this time, I'm keeping all my internal organs, right?! So it'll be good... ya, it'll be alright. I'll plan on going back the Wednesday after that Friday and if I need more time, I'll just take it.

You're doing great, by the way!...

Your last sentence is classic! Thanks for the laugh, and congrats on the date!:)

THANK YOU. I thought the day would never come! And I had gotten the call right THEN.

If I'm trippin' out about anything right now... it's tortillas. I can never have them again? Ever? Really? I'm hispanic.

Its okay - I'll get over it. But I wonder if tabasco and salsa are okay....?....