Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Second Thoughts....

Hello Ladies and guy's if there's any. I had posted a while about weight loss surgery. I originally wanted lap bad, then changed my consult to RNY.

I had my RNY consult and my bmi was 39.4 - barely 40 so the dr indicated this would post a problem. I spoke with the insurance person at dr bauman's and she indicated they would do everything they can to get me approved. SO, I left a little discouraged because if I was 5 pounds heavier I would have qualified out right.

Now, I've done my consults, my psych consult, my physical, I still need to finish the psych test, ugi, and dietician consult. Here's where my big dilemma comes in. I know I can only answer this out right, but I'm 32. I'm impatient and I don't want to wait until next year for surgery. I don't know if I'll be approved either.

I was thinking of switching once again to Lap Band. I saw a program this morning on the discovery channel and the process is appealing. Well, here's a few of the things that I am unsure of with RNY - it's the pregnancy thing.

I'm 32 and I want one more child, however, if I have RNY i'll be close to 35 when I can be approved to get pregnant again. I don't want to have a second child this late. I'd like to have another baby by 34ish. I also read in the packet from dr bauman about the ineffectivness of birth control pills and depo. I'd definitly need birth control during this time. So, I'm reconsidering the lap band. I have talked to dr bauman's yet, but I'm sure I can easily switch since nothing has been down except my consult. I feel wishy washy but I really want to make the right choice. The malabsorption also has me concerned enough to really rethink this too. Please let me know your opinion. Having a second child is very important to my husband and daughter. Having a second Child before 35/36 is more important to me.

Thanks for your support.....

Jennifer

Jennifer,

Ultimately the decision is yours. You are the only person who can judge which is the right surgery for you. Please don't base your decision on how difficult it will be to switch surgeries at this point, but instead on what is really important to you and your family.

There were several deciding factors for me in favor of the lapband. I do want to have more children, and I know that with the band I am less likely to gain back my weight or stretch out my pouch than with RNY. It is a personal choice that should be yours, but since you asked for an opinion I think the lapband is the way to go. Your BMI is rather low for RNY (IMHO) and with your plans to have another child I'd say go for the band. The surgical and postop risks are lower, so that in and of itself is a major reason to chose the band. You want to be healthy post op not only for yourself and your family now, but healthy enough to have another child.

Good luck in making your decision.

Well, you pretty much know what we are all going to say... Some of us are pretty rabidly against RNY.

(trying to stay rational for a bit before I start frothing at the mouth)

Do Malabsorbtion and Pregnancy mix? I would be very concerned that the baby wasn't getting everything it should if my insides had been re-arranged.

There is only so much that a Vitamin supplement can do. By a Million years of Evolution, or by God's plan (you choose) your body is designed to produce healthy babies. I would be very concerned about tinkering with such an intricate and interconnected piece of biological machinery.

The band is not so invasive - nor so permanent - as the RNY. I have such huge fear of the potential complications with RNY that I would NEVER advise anyone to have that procedure.

Of course, you will have to make the final decision, and rabid as some of us may be, we will support you in whatever decision you make. I know that the RNY has worked for some people. I would just want you to think LONG and HARD before making a radical and permanent change to your body.

(((hugs)))

I'm not trying to scare you or anything, but here's my thoughts....

1) you obviously have 100 pounds or less to lose. The band is perfect for those people.

2) you want to get pregnant. I just feel the whole malabsorption of food couldn't be the best thing for the baby

3) I have a dear friend who had RNY, lost about 140 pounds (most of her excess), got pregnant, had a beautiful baby. Now, one year later, she has gained back every ounce. She went through so much to lose the weight and it's all back. Her doc told her she stretched out her pouch when carrying her son

Just some thoughts. If you are afraid you will not lose the weight like the RNY people, just look at my stats. The band is by the far the best thing I could have done for myself with so much less pain than RNY

good luck with any decision you make !!

Jennifer, come eat lunch with us. please!!! you will see the band in action at many different stages post-op. If you want a baby, LB is a no-brainer. I'm glad you are reconsidering, based on the fact that you want to be pregnant at least one more time. It's personal and you will get support no matter what you choose. You aren't wishy washy, you are smart for taking time to research all facets of your decision. Nov 5th 11:30am at Ruby Tuesdays on I-77 at Arrowood. Yay!

Thanks for the opinions. I know the decision is ultimately mine, however, I also know, nothing is written in stone. I am pretty sure the band is where I want to go. I was actually thinking of contacting one of the presby dr's instead of dr bauman. I have things in process with dr bauman, so I will finish those up.

Yes, I barely have 100 pounds to lose. I definitly want another baby before 35.

I also want to not battle everyday with nutrion and supplements. I know the band has so much to offer. I was going to say, nothing is set instone until I am under anesthisa. I still need my UGI, second psych test. I have decided to stay with UHC HMO next year, even though it's so expensive, but worth it.

My coverage cover 100% of RNY and Lap band. I may call dr bauman's and tell them I've changed my mind, yet again.

I am definitly going to try to come and eat lunch with you guys. I hear UHC approves quickly so if I get approved for RNY I should be able to get approved for lap band.

Thanks for the support,

Jennifer

Jennifer...I for one am very happy you are rethinking your options. I am 31 (32 in Dec) and that was the biggest reason I went with the band. My husband and I sat and talked several times about this...The 2 most important things in my life are my husband and my son and thinking that something could happen to me either in surgery or after was not a risk I was willing to take. I have lost just over 60 pounds in 4 months with my band and the good thing about it is 4 months from now I will still be loosing. With the RNY you do loose most of your weight in the first 6 months and then just like us banders if they want to keep it off they have to work at it. I know because my aunt had the RNY several years ago and every time I talk to her she tells me she wishes she would have had the lap band. She had gained some of her weight back...I am not saying banders want gain weight but we have a life long tool to help us if we take care of it. I will say it over and over again...my band is my Best Friend!!!!

Please join us for lunch...Kathy is right you will see what bandsters are like...all stages.

Come on out and have some lunch with us and ask as many questions as you would like. I am 3 months post op and I love my band. It is the best thing ever. I know you will hear that from some RNY, but I do have a friend that went with Dr. Bauman and has had nothing but trouble with his RNY. Not to say every patient does with him but my friend wishes he could go back and have the band as well. Keep that in mind. See you all on the 5th of NOV! I am excited! :(

Angie