Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unsure of what to do...

On Thursday evening, out of laziness, we ordered pizza. Thin crust pepperoni to be exact (I can't do the thicker crusts now). I've had pizza several times since being banded with no difficulties.

Anyway, a few bites into one piece, I PB'd. Normally, I get the 'soft stop' signals and call it quits, but this one snuck up on me with no warning sign. It wasn't too bad - I've definitely had worse. Since then though, I've had a hard time with anything other than liquids. Sticking mostly to Water, fresh veggie juice and Soup, but even that I'm not getting down too well.

Last night I woke up at about 2:30 with the worst case of heartburn I've ever had. Up until then, my hubby said I was gurgling away. This morning, I got heartburn after a few sips of Water. It almost feels as if something is still stuck, but that was Thursday night and its now Sunday morning. I've just never had an episode last this long.

Is it normal for a PB to last this long? Any advice on what to do?

Thanks in advance!

When I was first filled, the doctor gave me fizzy powder, similar to alka-selzer and told me to use it in case something got stuck in the stoma. I have never had to use it, but he told me if I took it, to drink in one fast swallow and apparently if there is something stuck, it's suppose to blow it out. I'm no doctor but it sounds feasable to me that it would work. If you try this, I'd be standing over a basin or commode just in case it comes right back up. If you still have the problem with liquids, I would definiately call the doc first thing Monday.

Hope you feel better. Good Luck!!!

Cindy

you most likely have swelling which makes anything difficult. I had a PB last week that lasted for 4 hours and experienced the same thing, I did liquids for 2 days and it was better. you need to let the swelling subside...stay with the thinner liquids. If the heartburn continues cal lyour Dr. you made ned a little fill removed to give the stoma a rest and heal from the PB episode and you want to rule out any slipp the PB may have caused. Heartburn can sometime mean a small slip or too tight of fill. Dont want to scare you but those are the facts. Hope you feel better soon :)

Pavarathi, maybe stay away from the veggie juice as it might be too acidic right now. Stick with bland, do your protien drinks, broths, clear Soups or runny creamy Soups, blended out. Try eating Tums for the heartburn to reduce the acid. Or try crushing a Prilosec or eat a chewable Pepcid AC if you have that in Oz? Rest that stoma, that's for sure, and call you doc Monday if it doesn't improve.

What Cindy said about blowing it out if something is stuck makes sense but I don't know what med that is? Alka-seltzer would probably do it if you are comfortable with that. How about a small sip of Sprite? It's not likely something is still stuck, but you never know. It sounds like you are swollen, at the least.

Yuck, what a bad feeling. I'm sorry! Take it easy and let us know how it goes.

Thanks everyone! I have my regular visit with the doc tomorrow, so I guess I can live until then. I'm eating Tums, but it just feels like instead of it getting better, its getting worse :/ I've sent hubby to the store for ingredients to make a nice runny bland homemade Soup, so hopfeully that'll help a bit.

Oops, forgot to post here yesterday after I went to the Dr, but work got in the way :/

We decided that I had probably irritated my esophagus and stoma a bit, so took out the 0.1ml that he had put in two weeks previous. I felt instant relief and was able to eat solids again as soon as lunchtime yesterday. Here's hoping that taking out a bit of the fill won't slow down my weightloss, but I'm definitely feeling better, so that's a bonus. He's also given me a new prescription for a reflux medication, just incase it happens again. I was able to sleep a full night last night, for the first time in several days, without being woken up by chest pains. I love my doctor! He always makes me feel better, both mentally and physically.

On a side note, when looking at my chart we realized that I'm only 3kgs away from having lost 2/3 of my excess body fat. This was what they originally said they'd like to see me do in 2 years post op :(

Hey Jess,

Glad you are feeling better!

I would say that you are just a tad ahead of schedule on that whole weight loss thing! Congrats on that. Wow! Less than 18 kg to get to goal... Go Jess! Go!!