Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What happens at the eval?

Hi, my name is Nancy and I am scheduled for an eval on Dec 9th, I wanted to know what happens at an eval and what will happen after that?

I'm sure it varies from doctor to doctor, but at mine they measured my weight, asked my height, took my blood pressure and temp, checked my heart rate, took a medical history and answered questions I had about the surgery. I think that was basically it. I also got on the schedule for surgery and made appointments for additional pre-op tests and classes.

So they automatically schedule a date for surgery? and then you make the appts for the pro op tests and get the approval before that surgery date?

I was self-pay, so things move a little differently then if you have WLS insurance. I had a BMI less than 40 with no co-morbidities, but I didn't have any insurance qualifications I had to meet. But as best as I can remember, I either left the office with a surgery date, or they called me within a day or two to put me on the schedule. But I knew leaving the office that I was okayed for surgery, unless something came up negatively on one of the tests. If that would have happened I'm sure my surgery would have been postponed.

O ok, I am going to try to go through insurance BCBS, My BMI is 45, but I have no co-morbidities, well hopefully all goes well and I get approved. How is the band working for you?

I absolutely LOVE it! I've had no problems, although it did take quite a while for me to get long lasting restriction, but once I did, I would call it perfect. I would do it again in a heartbeat, and it has been worth every penny it cost as a self-pay patient. Having a band has met all my expectations plus some. With optimal restriction, I eat three 1/2 cup healthy meals/day + one healthy snack, and drink plenty of fluids in between. I don't have those ravenous hungry pains I used to experience that led to my grazing my way to obesity. It's been work on my part, for sure...following the rules, getting exercise, making better food choices...but the band has given me the power to do those things.

I also have BCBS and I was approved in less than a week. My BMI was a 50 and I had sleep apnea and high blood pressure. But the eval process was very easy for me and BCBS didn't get me any problems at all!:thumbup: With a BMI of 40+ you don't usually need to have more problems to be approved.......good luck hope all goes well!!!:thumbup:

Thats great Kiz I am so glad everything worked out for you. I am so excited to start this process, but also scared, I have never had surgery in my life.

And thanks J.M it gives me hope to know BCBS approved you so quickly.

I don't want to disappoint you but I am using BCBS had to wait 2 months to get approval, but according to our insurance coordinator at the clinic this was an unusual case and usually people are approved in 2 weeks. I just wanted to let you know that it is possible for it to take a while because I wished someone had told me that! I sat around for 2 months being blue because I just wanted to know if I would be approved or not! But I was finally approved and I'm having my surgery next Thursday! I'm so excited and I'm praying it will all be worth the wait. :thumbup:

Your welcome Nancy. It's quite normal to be apprehensive, especially about an elective surgery. I had a couple of surgeries previously (gall bladder and hysterectomy), and it was different when it was totally my decision to make. Just keep gathering information, and feel free to ask questions as they arise. For me, being well informed was essential and ultimately calmed my nerves.

----------------------------------------

sberrys, congratulations on your approval, and good luck with your surgery!

Edited by kiz

Sberrys thank you so much for the heads up...and congrats on your approval, please keep me posted on how it goes...Goodluck with your surgery!