Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confused! Is This What Restriction Feels Like?

I have STRUGGLED to get enough Fluid in my band. After getting sick the weekend after surgery, they removed all of the fluid in the band, and it has been a S L O W process to get any restriction after that. As of last Thursday, I now have 5 cc's of fluid in a 10 cc band. This is the first time I have ever sensed any type of restriction....or is it restriction????

Whenever I eat, the first 3-4 bites give me a problem. They seem to land hard in my stomach. I don't know how else to describe it! It is like the food is trying to get down, but it feels kind of stuck. :thumbup: If I give it a few minutes, the feeling generally goes away. After the hard start, things tend to be fine. I try to chew well and take small bites, but those first few bites are tough! Sometimes I throw up and that helps ease the discomfort. Once I get past that initial (3-4 bites) struggle, food goes down easily.

Now to the subject of the amount of food......Again, up to this point I have had ZERO restriction. I could literally eat anything I wanted, as much as I wanted. I never felt like I had a band at all. Now, after the last fill to 5 cc's, I am limited somewhat. I eat MUCH LESS than in the past, but not the 1/2 cup of food like suggested.

Could it be that I am nearing the "sweet spot" but not there yet? I have an appt for another fill next Thursday. I am just afraid that any more fluid will make those first few bites even harder! Any suggestions or thoughts?

You really shouldn't "feel restriction". Restriction simply means that your band is tight enough to slow the progress of food from the new pouch into the lower stomach. The more that passage is slowed, the longer you will feel full. That feeling is called "satiety". Satiety is what you are looking for.

When you eat a meal as prescribed, how long before you feel hungry again? You should feel satisfied for at least 4 hours. That's your goal. You need enough restriction to give you the feeling of satiety for 4 hours or even more. If you are hungry consistently 3 hours after a meal, you aren't there yet, but you're getting closer.

You really shouldn't "feel restriction". Restriction simply means that your band is tight enough to slow the progress of food from the new pouch into the lower stomach. The more that passage is slowed, the longer you will feel full. That feeling is called "satiety". Satiety is what you are looking for.

When you eat a meal as prescribed, how long before you feel hungry again? You should feel satisfied for at least 4 hours. That's your goal. You need enough restriction to give you the feeling of satiety for 4 hours or even more. If you are hungry consistently 3 hours after a meal, you aren't there yet, but you're getting closer.

Aha! That makes sense! I don't know how long I stay full. I bet it is 3-4 hours.

Do you have any words of wisdom on the struggle to start eating?

Thanks for the help, Cathy!

Cathy has perfectly described my understanding of restriction.

The only thing I would add, is that I've seen your initial problem of feeling too tight with your first bites has been referred to as "first bite syndrome". If you do a LBT search, you'll find that several banders also have that issue and tips on how to learn to minimize the reaction.

I have first bite syndrome in the mornings. I usually drink a cup of hot tea (not lukewarm but HOT). That solves the problem. Also, if you aren't drinking enough Water every day, you can feel that same stuck with the first bites feeling, so watch your hydration.

I actually disagree with Cathy on one point. I can feel restriction. I had my 3rd fill and final for at least 6 months according to my doctor. I can feel it and it is difficult to eat the first few bites. This is probably because the stomach is still swollen and my band is really tight.

I expect the restricted feeling to go away as my swelling subsides. Otherwise, I most likely will need a slight unfill and this may be the case with you.

Best of luck to you,

Donna

I have a little bit of the first bite syndrome too. What confuses me is, why is that food trying to force it's way through the band right after I swallow it? I thought it was supposed to be sitting in my pouch for a while :thumbup: So confused still, but I am definitely eating less.

What confuses me is, why is that food trying to force it's way through the band right after I swallow it? I thought it was supposed to be sitting in my pouch for a while confused.gif So confused still, but I am definitely eating less.

This is a question that has been asked a number of times but has still not been properley answered. I asked my fill Dr and was told that the food doesn't sit in the band as long as we think which is why we get that instant feeling when we are stuck. This just confused me more as it seems to go against how we have been told the band works.