Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my surgery in May of 2009, and my first fill (and only fill) sometime at the end of June. No problems - except the normal too big of bite or thought bread would work. Stupid stuff like that. But in the past week and a half to two weeks, I'm getting where I can't drink or eat. I had trouble eating chicken broth for lunch today. This whole weekend, I couldn't eat anything and finally figured out how to get food out - yuck. Seems like my band has gotten tighter - anyone else have that problem? Or know what would cause it? I lost 7 lbs over the weeknd, but I'm worried that something is wrong.

Be very careful that you don't get dehydrated. I was rushed to the ER this weekend when I went unconscious from dehydration. It was so frightening!

If you have a cold or sinus problems it will make your band seem tighter. If you get stuck you are suppose to have only fluids for the next 24 hours because you will be swollen. If you are not well hydrated your stomach will swell making your band too tight. It's kind of a vicious cycle. Don't try to eat if you can't swallow well enough, just drink fluids until the swelling goes down. Your menstrual cycle can also cause your stomach to swell.

If the tightness continues you should contact your surgeon's office.

I had a fill on Friday and because of the bout of dehydration I am still struggling to swallow Water.

I hope you feel better,

Donna

Donna: I'm very sorry to hear you ended up in the ER this weekend from dehydration. I hope you're feeling better now.

Lapband0505: With that type of sudden restriction I would call my doctor ASAP. If you've been able to eat solids for the most part, and now you suddenly can barely get down a simple liquid like broth, you may be experiencing a slip or some other problem that needs to be addressed medically. If you catch it sooner rather than later, a simple unfill could right it. Regardless, as Donna said, you're could become dehydrated very quickly.

Edited by kiz

Thank you Kiz!

Kiz - Thank you! I've called one place, hopefully I can go in the next few days to get it checked out. I think you are right - hopefully if its something not right it can be fixed easily....better safe than sorry either way.

Donna - funny you say that (not really) but that is one of the 2 biggest worries....(the other is something major wrong, since I did this out of pocket, insurance wouldn't cover)

And congratulations! 75 lbs - that is awesome!!! How long did it take?

Edited by lapband0505

I'm self-pay too, so I know what you mean about the worry of not having the luxury of insurance to fall back on. I think that's part of the reason I tend to err on the side of caution. As you said, better safe than sorry.

Kiz - Thank you! I've called one place, hopefully I can go in the next few days to get it checked out. I think you are right - hopefully if its something not right it can be fixed easily....better safe than sorry either way.

Donna - funny you say that (not really) but that is one of the 2 biggest worries....(the other is something major wrong, since I did this out of pocket, insurance wouldn't cover)

And congratulations! 75 lbs - that is awesome!!! How long did it take?

It took me 6 months to lose 75 pounds.

I have had many experiences where suddenly I can't eat or drink because I feel too tight. My surgeon's office is where I learned of all the things that can make your band seem tighter.

I too was self pay. I do have medical insurance but they wouldn't cover the band (only GB).

FYI

Some fills do not kick in immediately. My first fill didn't kick in till 2 weeks and my second 11 days after being filled.

I was like" What the heck is happening?". I had no clue it could work like that. I was telling a friend " I have no restriction" day after day and then blam, I was stuck on something that I had been able to eat previously.

My 3rd fill kicked in 2 days and I cancelled my 4th fill appt. because I am tight enough.

Listen to your body. It's a tricky slope we walk when it comes to fills.

Drink, drink, drink....that is my best hint. Lots of folks cannot eat in the mornings (I am one of them), band is too tight. I have lots of hot tea to loosen the band and then can only eat mushier types of food during the afternoon. I can eat more as the day progresses. DR said the band can tighten while we sleep because we are not drinking.

Maybe you are trying to eat when your not able to. See if this helps for a few days.

If all else fails, get an unfill. Our bodies are constantly in flux, what with the wt. loss, life's stresses, TOM, illness etc . What may have worked for you last week, may not work today.

Good luck to you on your journey!

This same thing happened to a friend of mine. She couldn't keep anything down at all. She ended up going to her surgeon, and it ended being mucus from her sinuses blocking the entrance to her pouch. They released all of the Fluid from the band, and she said she INSTANTLY felt better.

You should definatly go see your doctor.

Did she get them to fill it back up?

This is a gross question, sorry. But is the mucus thin (really thin) and clear? Sort of like the yolk part of an egg right when you crack it open?

Yes, just last week she went and had it filled again. She told me that she INSTANTLY felt better once the nurse took the Fluid out.

I am not sure what it looked like cuz it wasn't me. But i will call her and ask.

Don't worry with that - I'll ask them when I go in. I was just wondering - that would make a lot of sense!

Thanks!!

Thanks - you are right, its different every day!!

I went to just liquids yesterday all day - and its better for sure. I actually drank a thin milk shake last night and it was fine, as long as I went somewhat slowly. Maybe I've just irritated it or someone mentioned that allergies (drainage, etc.) could cause it also. Best bet - go in and get it checked.

Thanks! and Good Luck!!