Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sick and Hunger

Hello All,

I am 3 weeks post opp and I have a few questions, maybe my dear friends here can help me with:

#1 I feel like I can eat just about anything now, just in moderation, is this because I have not gotten my first fill yet? 1 week ago I would wake up and feel instant restiction, now I am not feeling as much restriction these days.

#2 I went back to work this week (Monday) and wouldn't you know by Wednesday I had a full blown chest & ear infection, I was so hungry all day long I didn't know what to do. Was it because my body was working over time to kill off this infection? What do you guys do when you get ill? I am back to work today, but my port incision is KILLING me.

#3 Does your weight loss stall when you are sick? I have been noticing a steady loss but now since I have been sick the scale has not budged.

#4 (Not A Question) Thank you so much for all your continued support

Thanks,

Jen

1 and 2) for many of us, we don't have restriction without a fill so you will get hungry and probably will be able to eat anything. I could still eat anything after my first fill. With my second I become more restricted. As I'm losing, I'm less restricted now and can eat more things again.

You are still in the healing process and may gain some back. That will go away but your body needs to heal now. Eat if you are hungry and try and make good choices.

I remember at week 3 posting continually because my port itched like mad. We all heal differently. Give it time.

3) You will have many plateaus. Your loss during the healing stage is a blessing. I considered my band without a fill to be 'on vacation' and it wasn't ready to start working. Even after you have fills, your weight will fluctuate and you will have plateaus.

I know this site keeps me sane and I appreciate everyone's infoo too.

#1 As the swelling goes down, restriction reduces. Some folks end up feeling "wide open" before their first fill, so this doesn't surprise me. concentrate on healing and getting nourishment. weight loss at this stage in the game is a bonus.

#2 Egg drop Soup is full of protien and is easy to drink, even at work. I'm not surprised you got sick. Youare 3 weeks post-op, your diet has changed exptrememly, you went back to work and probably overdid it...all that adds up to a compromised immune system. Rest when you are off work. Get good healthy liquid calories in...don't be hungry, explore more mushies, keep your energy level up.

#3 Your weight stall is not an indication of illness, it means you are able to eat more than you could last week, so you won't drop as fast. Let our matabolism adjust...don't worry about the scale past curiosity. Heal, wieght loss is later when you have more control over your intake.

And your port pain is normal. Yuck. Mine still gets sore and I don't know why, though not often. Give it a few more weeks and you will realize how much better it feels.

#4 You are welcome! And you are doing great! Focus on the right things, taking good care of your body and letting it heal, nourishing it, resting it. You have the rest of your life to lose weight. Just take care of that band now so it can help you later!

If you're on antibiotics for your ear infection, those have always made me feel like I was starving. It's all new, and things will fall into place but you have to be patient. Good luck.