Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone ever felt depressed after their surgery? I'm almomst 6 weeks post op. The surgery was beautiful, no complaints. In fact, I had two surgeries, because I had a hernia as well.

Week 4 everything was great. I started losing, and felt wonderful. Lots of energy, low appetite, feeling wonderful, lots of walking.

Now, I'm so blue, that I can't event exercise, and I am eating lots of carbs which I don't need. The last two days, I'm been laying around, unmotivated, and I feel disgusted with myself, and wondering what happened. Everything hurts too. Knees, joints, I feel sluggish. I haven't been drinking any Water, which is terrible, and I'm sorta in a rut. Not losing, not eating well, eating more than what I need, and WANTING to get out of this rut. Maybe it's because the position I have been interviewing for went to someone else, and I've been a contender for the position for 3 months. Unemployed and surgery, just don't mix sometimes. I find having a work routine sometimes is great to keep the momentum going.

Sorry to be a downer, I guess it's just this moment in time.

Has this happened to anyone else?

This has not happened to me but I do understand about your depression. To have surgery and to lose a position all at the same time can be depressing. In order to overcome the depression you are going to have to get off that couch (or whatever) and get to moving. Take some walks, go swimming if you have YMCA, do some armchair exercises, climb stairs. Anything to change your routine. As for foods, follow your doctor's orders and leave the rest alone.

You can do it and you owe it to yourself. You don't want to get so down in depression that it requires medications if you can help it. Come on now, buck up...you can at least try.

Hi sfchick,

Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone--I went through a period of depression, almost exactly like this, a month out of surgery. Not everyone experiences it of course, but I think it is pretty natural. There could be lots of reasons--for me, I think it was almost like a "hangover" period. There was so much excitement and build up and anticipation leading up to the surgery, then right after I felt so motivated and wanted to do it all, right out of the gate. But once the newness of the band started to wear off, I went into a sort of mourning for my "old self" and my "old life." It was weird and unsettling.

BUT--it didn't last, thankfully. I think the main thing I had to do for myself was take things one day at a time. I decided that I needed to start every day fresh, and wake up with the attitude that I was going to do the best things for my body TODAY. Not worry about tomorrow or next week or next year--or yesterday! Just today. That was all that mattered.

I have to say too that I relied heavily on the support of my amazing boyfriend, who has been right there with me every step of the way, encouraging and believing in me when I maybe didn't believe in myself as much as I should have.

Do you have a support system at home? Someone to talk to about how you're feeling? I think just being able to say it out loud helps so much! Also, is there someone you can walk with, workout with?

Please feel free to send me a private message anytime if you need someone to talk to. You can get through this--we are all here to help!

Best,

Val

Hi, I was feeling more and more like you about 8 weeks out. I saw my therapist and decided that it was part of my "fat mind" trying to self sabbotage. Sometimes what ever was the "real" reason for gainning weight, remembers when something happened at certain weights. If that makes any sense to you. Your mind/body connection is strange and can hold on to alot. If you have someone to talk to (like this site) and find out that your not alone, you can do it and you've come so far. You might be able to "snap" out of it and keep going on your journey. Hope that helps. At least you can say, "maybe I'm not as screwed up as that person" and that will help you....LOL Keep up the good work

I suffer from clinical despression and I take meds for it. I did not notice my depression get worse I am 3½ months post op. I have talked to serveral people who had really bad depression after surgery, one even had to be put in the hospital for a while.

Are you drinking all your Water and exercising? That makes a huge difference in how you feel! Try to think about it this way is now we have hope. I think that is what has helped me. HOPE!!!!

Has anyone ever felt depressed after their surgery? I'm almomst 6 weeks post op. The surgery was beautiful, no complaints. In fact, I had two surgeries, because I had a hernia as well.

Week 4 everything was great. I started losing, and felt wonderful. Lots of energy, low appetite, feeling wonderful, lots of walking.

Now, I'm so blue, that I can't event exercise, and I am eating lots of carbs which I don't need. The last two days, I'm been laying around, unmotivated, and I feel disgusted with myself, and wondering what happened. Everything hurts too. Knees, joints, I feel sluggish. I haven't been drinking any Water, which is terrible, and I'm sorta in a rut. Not losing, not eating well, eating more than what I need, and WANTING to get out of this rut. Maybe it's because the position I have been interviewing for went to someone else, and I've been a contender for the position for 3 months. Unemployed and surgery, just don't mix sometimes. I find having a work routine sometimes is great to keep the momentum going.

Sorry to be a downer, I guess it's just this moment in time.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I have been in at this point. As a matter of fact I have just gotten out of this position. I had my surgery March 30th and in the beginning everthing was great I walked everyday and I have lost about 50 pounds. I have not been on the site in about maybe 2 or 3 months, I had a few family to die and others things started happening. I went back to my old habits, I could not eat as much as I use to but I was eating all of the wrong things. I would again 2 pounds loose to 2 pounds. I :thumbup:finally kind of snapped out of it with a whole lot of prayer and getting ready for my family cruise for Thanksgiving. Things will work out and remember it is not a magic wand and life stills happen it depends on how we handle it.

Good Luck and Peace and Blessing.

WOW I love this site. I have been feeling the same way. I thought it was just me. I've been depressed a few times about a 1 week at a time. Just quit talking and feel like I'm in slow mode. I'm 9 weeks out 36lbs down and feel like I'm all alone. I do have great support at home and even at work. But it's nice to get on line and go to new postings and see you're not crazy after all --- there are others out there having the same feelings. Thanks for sharing and we'll all get out of this soon. Actually just emailing this I'm feeling better already. :)

I was going to post the same type of thing. I am a month out and down 21.5 lbs. Feeling in a funk since Saturday night. Definitely going to talk to my therapist about this, PLUS I had a huuuuuuge fight with my sister. We live together and have these blow ups periodically. Though she was good to me post-op. Want to tell her and the whole world to F-Off. I think I am mourning my food loss, mostly bread. I would sell a kidney for a bagel. LOL Good to know we are not alone in this. I get depressed thinking about the fact that I needed this in the first place. Though most of the time I treat my obesity as an addiction, there is something about feeling like I am not "good" b/c I can't control the eating.

I have ALSO felt this way, basically since day one after surgery, and I'm about 9 weeks out. I've struggled so much, and have felt so alone in this process. Also, I think for myself, since this is such a HUGE change, I have developed a lot of anxiety....it feels like I am focusing on this decision, the changes, trying to eat better, exercise, etc, that I am spending all of my emotional and mental energy on this lapband thing.

I keep thinking that maybe the anxiety/depression issues are just part of Bandster Hell, but I am really getting worried that they're going to be permanent.

One thing that has really helped me is keeping a "courage journal." I went to Borders, bought a fancy journal, and force myself to write down positive parts of my day. Somedays it doesn't have anything to do with my band at all, just about things that have happened in my day that were good. I'm really trying to combat the negative thinking.

Good luck, and know you are NOT alone!!!

I was going to post the same type of thing. I am a month out and down 21.5 lbs. Feeling in a funk since Saturday night. Definitely going to talk to my therapist about this, PLUS I had a huuuuuuge fight with my sister. We live together and have these blow ups periodically. Though she was good to me post-op. Want to tell her and the whole world to F-Off. I think I am mourning my food loss, mostly bread. I would sell a kidney for a bagel. LOL Good to know we are not alone in this. I get depressed thinking about the fact that I needed this in the first place. Though most of the time I treat my obesity as an addiction, there is something about feeling like I am not "good" b/c I can't control the eating.

This is also why I love this site, because it lets me know I am totally not alone. I can really relate concerning the eating bread. I would at least have a hamburger for Mcdonalds once a week and I have not been to mcdonalds for my self since March. I miss bread like I would miss a love one leaving me. I do not think I really understood just how much work I would have to do to make this work, and although I am happy with my choice I just sometimes question my on judgement. Everything will come in time we just have to keep each other encouraged.:)

I think you are inside my head. Every posting I read I've had the same thoughts. Scary. But as my dr. said "you're running a marathon, and there are going to be alot of hurdles, but 'you will finish." I'm assuming the depression, anxiety, being peeved off at everyone is a HUGH "HURDLE" this too we shall overcome. :thumbup: Hang in there fellow bandsters!! WE ARE NOT ALONE!!!:thumbup:

Nope, we're not alone. My husband was banded about 2.5 years ago, so he's been supportive to a point, but he doesn't get why I've been blue lately. It's almost like having "buyer's remorse." I know I didn't go through with this without a lot of consideration and prayer, but now that it's done and I'm in "bandster hell" (I think that's the period between surgery & getting a fill), I've had a lot of moments where I've wondered what in the world I've done to myself. I've been mean and cranky because I've basically been hungry since my 2 week pre-op diet started!

I'm also very glad this site is here--not because misery loves company, but because we WILL make it through. Keep the faith...