Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser San Diego Options Program

Well today I got accepted into the Kaiser options program down here in San Diego. Apparently now I need to wait for them to call me to let me know when I can start the classes. In socal they require you to do 24 weeks of classes once a week, so about 6 months. But as far as I know if you make it this far and dont miss any classes your approved!

I am 30 with a BMI of 38.5 with a few Co-Morbidity's I was originally set on getting the Lap Band, then the Sleeve, now I think im back on getting the Band again.

I could use some advice from anyone that has been in this program before. I'm not really worried with the surgery as much as I am worried about potential problems with the band in the years ahead.

Is Kaiser doing the sleeve now?

I have Kaiser (Riverside) and they were not doing the band at the time I was offered the Options program so I opted to go to Mexico and self pay because my only other alternative was GB and I wanted the band.

I really didn't know anything about the sleeve when I had my surgery, but now I am wishing I did and wishing I would have gotten the sleeve.

It is my understanding that once you are in the Options program you will see one of the doctors in prevent. medicine before you are approved. I do know that your qualifying weight is the weight taken at your time of orientation.

Please let me know about the sleeve though because at some point I would like to convert to it.

Donna

I have heard kaiser does the sleeve in nor cal and los Angeles. I dont think it is an option for me down here in San Diego, and im not sure how I could get it done.

I will ask when the time comes to speak with a doctor or surgeon. Im assuming if I get through the 24 weeks of classes and do everything they ask I will be able to have the surgery no? No way do i want to do this if they are not going to decide until the very end.

Well if all else fails at least you will have a good start to your weight loss (the 10% Kaiser requires).

If you don't get approved, don't give up because there are still options.

There are a lot of steps just to be able to get into this program. Im assuming they arent making me go through all this just to tell me at the end I cant have the surguery. I have no plans to go on another diet if the end result is not WLS. I will end up gaining it all back and more, im at a stage right now where I stay at the same weight, but the moment i diet and lose 25 lbs it all creeps back and more and i reach a new staying point. No thanks.

They told me after the 6 months I will meet with the surgeon whom is contracted out of Kaiser to Pacific Baraitrics. I will have to ask these questions during my first class coming up next month.

Hello! I was hoping to do it at Kaiser but they want you to jump through SOOOO many hoops. Meetings for me meetings that my husband would have had to go to. 6 months at weight watchers....and I would have had to gain weight to qualify to even start! I hope it all works out for you....I will be interested to see how you like it as it rubbed me the wrong way from the start. I will be banded at UCSD