Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nervous about bad habits

Just venting (or whining).

I was banded a little over 2 months ago. Since then I've dropped 35lbs (60 since starting the process), but have finally hit a plateau.

This isn't unusual. I've lost large amounts of weight in the past, and have always hit a plateau around this time. The problem, I think, is that 2 months after getting really psyched up about weight loss, the novelty wears off, and old habits begin to re-emerge. This is one of the reasons pasts attempts have failed for me, and one of the reasons I felt I needed help to stay on track.

The problem is that I still don't feel much restriction, even though I've had a fill, and my next fill isn't for another month. For example, yesterday I had a really bad day, and was bad last night, and had a large bowl of Cereal for dinner. It was much larger than the 1/2 cup I'm supposed to be limited to, but had no problem whatsoever eating the whole thing.

I'm getting kind of scared that my bad habits are starting to reappear, and will end up sabotaging myself (again).

Any long timers run intot his situation, and how did you get refocused?

Do you know what your triggers are? I have only recently learned of some of mine, I am trying to figure out tactics to keep myself on track. Over the years I hit the magic number of 169lb and I freak and self sabatoge... now that I know that I am trying to over come the reason. new self talk before I get there. I have been going to a counselor who among other things deals with eating disorders. I think it is helping me, she herself is a former binge and purger.... I binge but cannot throw up! thank God.

Funny because at 42 I have finally learned WHY I do it, but the ticket will be HOW to I stop the response. I used to think that people at my age who had revelations of things that were suppressed after so long were full of BS but now I understand first hand that it really happens and how it just turns your world upside down.

I think boredom, and stress are my biggest triggers. I tend to be alright at work (though I do slip every once in a while), it's when I'm at home after work when I have the biggest issues.

Not that you should give yourself carte blanche to overindulge, (and I know you don't expect it), but for me, the first few months was 75% me and 25% band, but as I started closing in my sweet spot the ratio switched and now my band has taken over the majority of the work. I can't overstate how much my band has helped me control my food weaknesses because of the wonderful satiety I have now.

I hit a plateau about 4 months post op, then lost and gained the same 8 lbs for a few months. I started to get really down on my self. I would have good days and bad days. I bought like 6 books on emotional eating, and I started seeing a therapist weekly. I also kept going for fills. At a fill appointment I was feeling really embarrassed because I had gained a few pounds. I told my surgeon everything I was doing to work on my bad habits. He must have sensed my distress. He looked at me and smiled, he very calmly told me that I just needed to be properly adjusted and that I would lose again. He reminded me of how great I had done up until my plateau. He made me feel so much better, I totally relaxed. I still see my therapist weekly, and I totally recommend the book Eating in the Light of the Moon. But I think him giving me permission to relax and be human was the most helpful advise of all!

What a great post!! Very motivational!