Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

getting completely depressed with the whole process...

There are two docs in my area that I'm considering for surgery. One is supposed to be the best, with fantastic stats, blah blah blah. From what I've heard, he's nice, meticulous and great to work with. BUT-it seems he's taken on more patients than he can handle-he only sees new ones on Fridays; I have my first appt this Friday, and the woman making my appointment told me to bring a good book and expect to wait, usually at least an hour, before I'll be seeing him. Plus, they require a more extensive battery of tests pre-op (at my age and with no risk factors, there really should be minimal testing required). Plus they require a $350 program fee, and the Opti-fast diet for two weeks pre-op. I really had my heart set on having surgery by the end of the year, and when I spoke with the woman at his office, she said they are already booking through the first week of December, and that it would be highly unlikely that I'll get in before the new year. The other doctor I'm seriously considering is literally 2 minutes from my house, so appointments and fills would be infinitely easier, and also has a very good track record, has done over 1000 surgeries, etc. Plus, I used to work at this hospital so I know the post op care would be good. Plus, this doc bases your pre-op testing on you and what he believes you need, and he does not require a two week liquid diet, although he does recommend it (which I'll do, I'll just do Medifast, since it's a lot cheaper and has better varieties). BUT-while my insurance co does not require any kind of supervised diet pre-op to qualify, the office does! They usually do 6 months with the dietician, but will occasionally do as little as 3 months. Again, any chance of having surgery before the end of the year is out the window. Plus, I can't lose any weight before they submit to the insurance or I won't qualify, so there's no way I could do 3 months with a dietician and then still weigh enough to qualify without co-morbidities. I just feel stuck. Neither doc will be able to get my surgery done before the end of the year (yes, I know it's not a huge deal, but I just really had my heart set on starting the new year with my band in place. kind of like my new year's resolution.). The one I'd really rather go to wants me to do 3 months on a diet that I can't afford to go on because if I do, I'll lose my qualification for surgery. What do I do? Is there any way to convince them to not insist on the 3 months of diet? I wrote the office a letter with my initial paperwork, and am still waiting to hear backf rom them, although I am not hopeful. Am I forced to go with the other doc? I really don't want to wait two hours in a waiting room just for a 5 minute fill procedure. Plus, it's a lot more money out of pocket. And to be honest, I just don't like the office staff as well. I'm just really getting down and depressed and am starting to feel like it's not going to happen for me. What's a girl to do?

Since your BMI is borderline, and the second office is so close, I'd stop by their office to make sure you're being heard about the 3 month diet dilemma. There's no use considering them if you might lose your insurance coverage with their diet requirement. Since you'd rather not do the 3-6 month diet (can't blame you), 1) maybe they would make an exception for you or 2) you may find out they actually submit your starting weight for insurance. Good luck!

Abby - I know your in Cleveland, but I have been very happy with Dr. Bradley Watkins in West Chester (northern Cincy). They also have Saturday office hours for fill appointments if that helps with your work schedule. I don't think he is in any networks though and that may be an issue with you. However, I am pretty positive that he would be able to do your surgery before the end of the year. I know of a girl who just had it done and the time from her initial consult to surgery was about 3-4 weeks. You can check out their website at www.cincyweightloss.com.

They have been very accomodating and most if not all of their office staff has been banded and understand the process very well.

Personally, I have had 4 fills to date after about 6+ months and don't feel I need another anytime soon. Anyway, I just thought that may be an option for you if you really really don't want to wait.

Best of luck with whatever you decide. Mary Jo

Thank you. Hopefully I won't have to travel that far, but at least it's nice to know I've got options! :thumbdown:

Just as a side note - They do fills in Columbus on certain days also and also have support group meetings in Columbus. You would need to check out their website for more info or call. Good luck!

thanks emjay-columbus wouldn't be such a bad drive, and i'm almost certain they'd take my insurance-i was checking out the site earlier. i've got an appointment tomorrow with the one office and the secretary for the other comes back from vacation on monday, so i figure i'll give her till about 9:15 before I start harassing her to get in there for an appointment. still gonna feel these two out a little more, hopefully i can knock some sense into the office close to home! thanks for your help

Well, there may be a glimmer of hope yet. I went for my consultation for the first surgeon today. (at the hospital that requires the program fee, etc.). And I have to say, I really like the guy. He's very knowledgeable, and he lets you choose which brand of band you want, and if you don't have a preference, he waits till he gets you opened up to decide, which I think is pretty cool, because it means he isn't getting a kick-back from one brand over the other. (Which I can't say the same for the doc super close to home. He only places REALIZE bands, and doesn't seem to have a good reason why. Just that they have a good patient website and they are easy for him to deal with.) Plus, and here's the good part, he thinks I would be an excellent candidate, and they are going to submit to my insurance the beginning of next week for approval! Which means, I may be able to go to their pre-surgery nutrition class in November, and I've got a shot at being banded in December! Keep your fingers crossed for me!

That's very encouraging news, abby!! It sounds like you have to ball rolling and that there's a good possibility you're going to be a New Year's Band Baby!! Wishing you the best of luck.

Well, the doc's office is supposed to be submitting to the insurance co today...keep your fingers crossed for me! (never did hear back from the surgeon's office near me, despite contacting several times. guess they must not want my business that badly).

Best of luck Abby! You're going to do great! It will be the best gift you could ever give yourself for Christmas!

I'M APPROVED!!!! YAY!!!!! :) I'll be getting banded sometime in December! I am so excited I can't stand it!!!!

:) CONGRATS!!

Way to go!!:)

- Valerie

I'm really happy for you....congratulations. You will be on your way in no time!