Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Inquiring Pre-Op Minds Want to Know if...

Is Bandster Hell any worse than a 10 day pre- op Liquid Protein diet??

How could it be worse or more challenging that this?

If it is worse, tell us why?

Thanks...

No, it isn't any worse. It's about equally as torturous.

Hang in there though cause it does get easier once you reach good restriction. Until this happens it takes quite a lot of will power.

Donna

I agree. Equally as bad. You're good for about the first week after because you're still swollen but once the swelling goes down you're wide open (or in my case you are) and as hungry as ever! Hang in there! I'm struggling in Bandster hell so I'm right there with you!

I found the liquid preop diet way easier than bandster hell.. its a mindset the preop you know you have no choices i did it with only Protein so after 3 days you get in a 'zone' of not really being hungry plus the fast weight loss is motivating. I used Unjury and drank a lot of liquids and broth as well. preop i was allowed 2 cups of veggies - post op nothing.

I believe it is all a mindset...before surgury I was excited about it...after banding on 10/15, i told myself that I did not go thru all this for nothing...Ive been lucky so far...13 days still not hungry..I mean ever..,really don"t care about food right now because Im on a mission...good luck to all..

I guess I was lucky, I didn't go through bandster hell. Hope you don't either! Good luck:)

I'm a lucky one. I didn't have trouble with hunger until AFTER my first fill. Then I could have eaten the dog if I had one. Now that I've had my second fill, it's much better. I'm headed for my sweet spot! Good luck.

Both are fine. The pre-op diet for me was a little scary because I was worried about sticking to it -- but I did, and it was just fine.

Bandster Hell is hard in a different way because you can eat normal food and have to do your best to control the quantity. A lot of people gain weight during that time. . but it all comes off when you get to restriction. I put on 5 pounds. Cut to today. . and I'm down 63 pounds and am 12 from goal! It all works out in the end!

Best wishes,

Catherine

I agree with Happy2lose...it's about the same. The liquid diet was a b*tch. 2 weeks before, 2 weeks after. I could have ate wood and been happy. And bandster hell is not a whole lot more fun. Just because if you are expecting to lose alot of weight immediately after banding, you really have to rely on your own will power. And you do need a great mental mindset to do it on your own. Once you get some restriction, you will feel so much better and the weight should (hopefully) fall off at a more respectable pace.

The first couple of months you need to use your head and not your band so much. Try and develop new eating patterns. Like a told my SIL, your way of eating needs to be adjusted...it's not good or bad, just different.

Bandster hell was annoying, but I think the Pre-op diet was worse. I only had to do 3 days, but it was Clear Liquids only, no Protein Shakes. I did not gain during BH, but did not lose much either.

I was lucky, no bandster hell...but it can be a lot longer than the 10 day diet and I think thats what makes it worse. Some docs are really 'cheap' with giving you fills so it can take a long time to get to your sweet spot. During that time you're thinking why did I do this to my self if I am still eating the same..Good luck!